Another COE REQUEST! will it never end?

RadX

Offer COE rebates to families with special-needs members

Published on Feb 07, 2013

Purchase this article for republication

Buy SPH photos

I APPLAUD the Government's efforts in restricting car ownership ("COE categories for cars could be reviewed"; yesterday).

But while car ownership is generally perceived as a luxury, it is a necessity for some families.

As a mother of an autistic child, taking my son for long rides on MRT trains or public buses is a challenge due to his heightened sensory sensitivity to noise and crowds. On long rides, he will often fuss or, worse, suffer a full meltdown to the annoyance of other commuters.

Taking taxis for routine trips is very costly and hard to sustain for an average-income family. Many families with elderly members or those with mental and physical disabilities face the same problem.

Improving Singapore's public transport network and accessibility is of little or no help to us.

At the same time, there is a growing number of households with more than one car, often because they can afford them and not because they need them. To help those who really need a car, some changes could be made to the current system:

Give priority and certificate of entitlement (COE) rebates to families with members who have special needs, for first-car ownership per household;

Impose a flat COE rate on first-car ownership per household, with subsequent cars per household subjected to the bidding system; and

Have a separate COE category for luxury cars.

Chia Su-Yee (Ms)

↡ Advertisement

If we don't talk about car prices, maintenance and petrol are also very expensive for an average family, taxi is still a very good option.

Rebate will never be enough, and always being abused, the best case is the CEVS being "badly abused" by VW and BMW...

Edited by Deckbuild

When people buy car, they never take into consideration of maintenance of the car, like petrol, parking and servicing etc. Buying a car is easy but maintaining a car is not easy. -_-

Anyway, recently there are so many funny request on COE, i think it will only put an end if the COE drop back to $10-20K level. [rolleyes]

If we don't talk about car prices, maintenance and petrol are also very expensive for an average family, taxi is still a very good option.

Rebate will never be enough, and always being abused, the best case is the CEVS being "badly abused" by VW and BMW...

How VW and BMW abused the CEVS? [:/]

The person says that :

"Taking taxis for routine trips is very costly and hard to sustain for an average-income family. Many families with elderly members or those with mental and physical disabilities face the same problem."

Does the person think that having a car will be cheaper?

Or does the person think that they should be entitled to a COE so cheap that it is cheaper than taking a taxi?

Taking taxies will always be cheaper, its just that one feels the cost more because one pays when one completes every trip, whereas for a car, one just drives "without paying" on a per trip basis.

If the problem is getting a taxi, the taxi system should be fixed, maybe have a dedicated taxi booking system for people with special needs, instead of "giving" them an entitlement for a COE or a car.

poster already shoot herself by putting this statement.

"At the same time, there is a growing number of households with more than one car, often because they can afford them and not because they need them"

end of the day.it's whether you can afford or not?if not suck thumb and take bus,mrt or taxi.

i also see people driving ferrari because their daddy is rich while i only drive a prc car because my daddy is not rich.how?can i write to papers as well?

Edited by PorkChong

poster already shoot herself by putting this statement.

"At the same time, there is a growing number of households with more than one car, often because they can afford them and not because they need them"

end of the day.it's whether you can afford or not?if not suck thumb and take bus,mrt or taxi.

i also see people driving ferrari because their daddy is rich while i only drive a prc car because my daddy is not rich.how?can i write to papers as well?

Actually i think for those household with more than one car, usually it is owned by different family member. You can argue that they do not need so many cars, but the fact is each individual person worked in different workplace and have their own lifestyle, so also difficult to share the car. [:p]

Offer COE rebates to families with special-needs members

Published on Feb 07, 2013

Purchase this article for republication

Buy SPH photos

I APPLAUD the Government's efforts in restricting car ownership ("COE categories for cars could be reviewed"; yesterday).

But while car ownership is generally perceived as a luxury, it is a necessity for some families.

As a mother of an autistic child, taking my son for long rides on MRT trains or public buses is a challenge due to his heightened sensory sensitivity to noise and crowds. On long rides, he will often fuss or, worse, suffer a full meltdown to the annoyance of other commuters.

Taking taxis for routine trips is very costly and hard to sustain for an average-income family. Many families with elderly members or those with mental and physical disabilities face the same problem.

Improving Singapore's public transport network and accessibility is of little or no help to us.

At the same time, there is a growing number of households with more than one car, often because they can afford them and not because they need them. To help those who really need a car, some changes could be made to the current system:

Give priority and certificate of entitlement (COE) rebates to families with members who have special needs, for first-car ownership per household;

Impose a flat COE rate on first-car ownership per household, with subsequent cars per household subjected to the bidding system; and

Have a separate COE category for luxury cars.

Chia Su-Yee (Ms)

If she finds taxi rides costly, then she can't afford a car.

exactly.....!!! wat a clown

wahahaha

most car buyer you ask, the top reason/excuse/justification to buy a car is taking taxi is expensive "per trip" and hard to get ... LMAO

as if car no need to pay petrol, parking, road tax, insurance, erp, maintenance, etc ...

Edited by Wt_know

haha ... it's debatable for many

most car buyer you ask, the top reason/excuse/justification to buy a car is taking taxi is expensive and hard to get ... LMAO

as if car no need to pay petrol, parking, road tax, insurance, erp, maintenance, etc ...

ya lor, i tell you if i change to taxio and i take 4 trips a day, i still save $$$ [laugh] [laugh]

If these people find taking taxi is costly and owning a car is cheaper. Obviously these people never own a car in their life before! -_-

wahahaha

most car buyer you ask, the top reason/excuse/justification to buy a car is taking taxi is expensive "per trip" and hard to get ... LMAO

The only advantage that car gives over taxi is the ability to go out at any time of the day, and go anywhere that roads can get you. You don't get that privilege with taxis.

The only advantage that car gives over taxi is the ability to go out at any time of the day, and go anywhere that roads can get you. You don't get that privilege with taxis.

can...but get cussing and swearing and abuse [laugh] [laugh] by unker