Turbocharged emgines have no edge over older cars

Soya

They are comparing Japanese cars with American cars. It's obvious it's the weight of the cars which make the difference. Japanese cars are lighter in comparison and thus accelerate faster and have lower fuel consumption.

Testing are done under lab conditions and not real driving conditions the claimed fuel economy figures are just a gauge.

The Japanese have been thru the 80s TC era, why they did not embrace back the TC they must know something other car makers dun. They still stick to their NA & light weight formula or hybrid systems for better fuel economy and not compromising too much on performance. And they can beat their Western rivals in terms of reliabilty.

Edited by Watwheels

They are comparing Japanese cars with American cars. It's obvious it's the weight of the cars which make the difference. Japanese cars are lighter in comparison and thus accelerate faster and have lower fuel consumption.

Testing are done under lab conditions and not real driving conditions the claimed fuel economy figures are just a gauge.

The Japanese have been thru the 80s TC era, why they did not embrace back the TC they must know something other car makers dun. They still stick to their NA & light weight formula or hybrid systems for better fuel economy and not compromising too much on performance. And they can beat their Western rivals in terms of reliabilty.

we compare apple with apple la...

why is the new honda civic slower than the old B16s? (both are 1.6L)

thought when a new model is released, the figures should at least be higher? (in terms of speed, 0-100 and bhp/torque).

or the stock 2.5L WRX vs the EJ20.(latter is faster and better)

locally, the car buyer still favour smaller displacement engines. Kah Motor don't even bring in the 3 litre V6 Accord anymore.

our road tax for 3L is [knife]

They forgot to mention emission requirements are always changing. An older which met less stringent requirement may be able to get away with a more polluting powertrain than the replacement model (hence the 2.5l WRX vs 2.0).

I drove the Ford Fusion 2.5 when i was in the States. I will buy it if it is sold in SGP. My family likes it very much. NA engine.

The Ford Fusion in the states is essentially the Ford Mondeo here in Singapore. But the Mondeo sold here is using the 2.0 Ecoboost engines. Not sure if they still offer NA engines.

I wonder how were the two cars, Fusion and the Accord driven in their testing methodology. Some of you may recall the face off between the Prius and the M3 by Top Gear on their race track where basically both cars were pedalled-to-the-metal driven and put through their paces. The M3 delivered the better overall fuel economy.

They forgot to mention emission requirements are always changing. An older which met less stringent requirement may be able to get away with a more polluting powertrain than the replacement model (hence the 2.5l WRX vs 2.0).

Emission requirements and standards are just a guide to tell people that a car is emitting so much CO2 per Kilometer and this is performed in controlled enivronment.

In actual fact, your car may emit higher or lower CO2 than that rated figure due to traffic condition , scheduled maintenance regime etc.

It will interesting to have 2 identical cars of 2 different age(eg, brand new car and a 3 year old car) to have the CO2 emissions measured.

Curious to know how much more/less CO2 it emits as the car ages.

I wonder how were the two cars, Fusion and the Accord driven in their testing methodology. Some of you may recall the face off between the Prius and the M3 by Top Gear on their race track where basically both cars were pedalled-to-the-metal driven and put through their paces. The M3 delivered the better overall fuel economy.

Maybe the Prius is not designed to go flat out yet giving good fuel figures? More for shopping trips and none spirited but leisurely relak driving! The question on fit for purpose comes into play here.

↡ Advertisement