Hdb flat renovation

Ysc3

8 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

For my new bto, I have opt out of the tiles from hdb. So the flooring will just be plain concrete upon taking over. Will "stock" flooring be not flat? 

not really flat, it's those very rough surface, so that when laying your tiles it will bond. 

↡ Advertisement

Twincharged
52 minutes ago, Dafansu said:

not really flat, it's those very rough surface, so that when laying your tiles it will bond. 

So I guess better just do the screeding...

51 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

For my new bto, I have opt out of the tiles from hdb. So the flooring will just be plain concrete upon taking over. Will "stock" flooring be not flat? 

Floor without screeding will not be flat. Since you have opt out the tiles, but kitchen and toilet will still comes with tiles. So let's say the vinyl tiles is 10mm thick. The screed has to go 10mm below the surface of the tiles. Then again, your toilet and kitchen might not be on the same level, so the screed has to adjust accordingly. A good tiler will know what to do. Mine was quite screw up and they level the toilet but came out higher than my kitchen floor. Still got the cheek to tell me is "like that one". I blew my top and my ID had to hack away the first row of the kitchen tiles to align with the living.

• Praise 1

Twincharged
3 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

Floor without screeding will not be flat. Since you have opt out the tiles, but kitchen and toilet will still comes with tiles. So let's say the vinyl tiles is 10mm thick. The screed has to go 10mm below the surface of the tiles. Then again, your toilet and kitchen might not be on the same level, so the screed has to adjust accordingly. A good tiler will know what to do. Mine was quite screw up and they level the toilet but came out higher than my kitchen floor. Still got the cheek to tell me is "like that one". I blew my top and my ID had to hack away the first row of the kitchen tiles to align with the living.

Sorry... Forgot to mention that I was intending to do the vinyl tiling for my living room and bedrooms only. 😊

13 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

Sorry... Forgot to mention that I was intending to do the vinyl tiling for my living room and bedrooms only. 😊

No, I got you. I did similar for my first flat. The screeding is for level purpose. Say the bare floor is 20mm below your existing tiles, so the screed in your living room needs to level and patch to 10mm below the tiles (if the tiles are 10mm in thickness). But the height of your kitchen tiles may be different for your toilet. If they screed it completely flat, your vinyl tiles will not flush with your kitchen and toilet. Im assuming yours is the new BTO with toilet and kitchen floor flush with the living room. There are also other considerations with regards to your main door if your floor is as screwed up as mine. :TT_TT:

Edited by Stratovarius
  • Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

No, I got you. I did similar for my first flat. The screeding is for level purpose. Say the bare floor is 20mm below your existing tiles, so the screed in your living room needs to level and patch to 10mm below the tiles (if the tiles are 10mm in thickness). But the height of your kitchen tiles may be different for your toilet. If they screed it completely flat, your vinyl tiles will not flush with your kitchen and toilet. Im assuming yours is the new BTO with toilet and kitchen floor flush with the living room. There are also other considerations with regards to your main door if your floor is as screwed up as mine. :TT_TT:

Oh... Now I get what you mean.... Thks for the advice! 

But now that you have mentioned, that part never crossed my mind.... Now I am actually worried... 

Edited by Ysc3
  • Praise 1

On 9/25/2020 at 6:21 PM, 13177 said:

Now have portal called homerenoguru, just find ID from there. 😂

My opinion is that if you go through an Interior Designer then be prepared to fork out a lot of money. If you can, look for a reliable contractor that does work for these Interior Designers. It is much cheaper and the cost savings can be as much as half. I engaged this contractor for renovations for my house. He does almost everything and I have no complaints. 

https://www.facebook.com/xinghwadesign/

http://www.xinghwadesign.com.sg/about-us

On 10/13/2020 at 11:04 AM, Ysc3 said:

If you have young children, ensure that you place rubber mats around the bed. If the child falls on the vinyl tiling, the ramifications can be very severe. 

Twincharged

another question :

do you do the built-in furniture, eg. wardrobes before or after the laying the vinyl boards ?

the screeding will be done first - no issue.

(edited)
On 4/9/2023 at 9:38 PM, Ysc3 said:

another question :

do you do the built-in furniture, eg. wardrobes before or after the laying the vinyl boards ?

should be "after" because the floor must be 100% done then do the built-in wardrobes

just like kitchen floor tiles also must lay 100% and then cabinets although cabinets will be cover the tiles (wasted)

Edited by Wt_know

Twincharged

@Wt_know 

i asked an independent vinyl company and they advise to do the carpentry first - else risk having the newly installed vinyl damaged by the carpenters ... and they will not pickup the tabs.

IDs and contractors will say what you say and they can always fix any damaged vinyl when they do the carpentry after laying the tiles ... but so far my "research" showed that ID/contractors quote almost double of the vinyl coy themselves.

(edited)
On 4/9/2023 at 10:07 PM, Ysc3 said:

@Wt_know 

i asked an independent vinyl company and they advise to do the carpentry first - else risk having the newly installed vinyl damaged by the carpenters ... and they will not pickup the tabs.

IDs and contractors will say what you say and they can always fix any damaged vinyl when they do the carpentry after laying the tiles ... but so far my "research" showed that ID/contractors quote almost double of the vinyl coy themselves.

well ... when you use 2 x separate contractors then of course 1 will not pick up the tabs from another 1

hence, you will need to make your own decision

for me ... i will do the vinyl floor 100% ... take picture ... walk with the carpenters and confirm the floor is swee swee

if they damage the floor vinyl they should fix it ... or vinyl company fix and recover from carpenter

again ... for carpentry works ... most of the time it sits on top of the vinyl 

whatever "possible" damage is already cover by the cabinets

unless the workmanship is really so fk up

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 2

Twincharged
On 4/9/2023 at 10:19 PM, Wt_know said:

well ... when you use 2 x separate contractors then of course 1 will not pick up the tabs from another 1

for me ... i will do the vinyl floor 100% ... take picture ... walk with the carpenters and confirm the floor is swee swee

if they damage the floor vinyl they should fix it ... or vinyl company fix and recover from carpenter

thanks for the advice !

talking about damage, i also read that it will be diificult to fix damaged (by self) vinyl if they are partially under the wardrobe. you encounter this before ?

(edited)
On 4/10/2023 at 6:35 AM, Ysc3 said:

thanks for the advice !

talking about damage, i also read that it will be diificult to fix damaged (by self) vinyl if they are partially under the wardrobe. you encounter this before ?

replace the vinyl is not difficult

during handover inspection

i requested to replace 2 vinyl due to “deep” scratch and uneven

they just remove the vinyl and cut a new one to be fixed

they also give me some spares about 5 vinyl to keep (normal)

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

On 4/9/2023 at 10:19 PM, Wt_know said:

If do floor first, usually the contractor should cover the floor to avoid any damage and scratches if the contractor is professional enough. But too bad many contractor would not do such thing, or they just cover the floor half-past-six standard.

• Praise 1

Supercharged
On 4/9/2023 at 9:38 PM, Ysc3 said:

another question :

If you are doing real ceramic tiles or marble or wooden parquet, then yes tiles/marble/parquet first, then carpentry on top.

But if you are doing the flimsy vinyl plastic+fibreboard flooring, then that is actually a disposable lego item that you will replace every few years, then I recommend you do your carpentry on the cement floor first before laying the vinyl - as the vinyl will have a lifespan shorter than the carpentry.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Anyone did your house reno recently and find that can recommend their reno ID? Or know any reno ID that can recommend ar? 😂

↡ Advertisement