Hdb flat renovation

Ysc3

Due to my frequent using and recommendation to friends, the coordinator actually did me a favour back when I change windows for 2 of my rooms.. my new tenants complain that they can hear road noise, so request that I change to double glaze windows. I sourced around for manufacturers of double glaze tinted window, and got a quote of 3.8k for 2 sets f windows including labour costs to remove existing window and installation. I called the usual contractor and he got a factory price for contractor and it was 1.5k.. exactly same specification.

That's how much is the margin for raw materials anyway.

The point is, ask around and don't always settle for lowest price. One more thing is don't use relative's company in these kind of reno work. Spoils the good faith between kinship

↡ Advertisement

tried the reno forums ... including the above ... but seems like most ppl disappear after their reno is done. so its almost impossible to get feedback.

and frankly, when those with a couple of posts reply, you can't help but wonder if they are the contractors themselves ?

i tried emailing a few forumers there but same thing ... no reply.

Well because some sue the contractor and end of the day obtained their compensation. Afterwhich, they wish to move on and not find any trouble with anyone esp the contractor.....I only tell my relatives who to avoid rather than who to go to...bcos this type really heng suay.... also if recommend u gd contractor end up the contractor screw up in ur job, kena... [laugh]:D

• Praise 1

Due to my frequent using and recommendation to friends, the coordinator actually did me a favour back when I change windows for 2 of my rooms.. my new tenants complain that they can hear road noise, so request that I change to double glaze windows. I sourced around for manufacturers of double glaze tinted window, and got a quote of 3.8k for 2 sets f windows including labour costs to remove existing window and installation. I called the usual contractor and he got a factory price for contractor and it was 1.5k.. exactly same specification.

The point is, ask around and don't always settle for lowest price. One more thing is don't use relative's company in these kind of reno work. Spoils the good faith between kinship

This is true. One of my ex-colleague's new flat reno given to his NS buddy and the two fell out due to some disagreement and delays which then go to the Small Claim Tribunal in the end.

And the 2 neber talked again even when meet each other in NS...... <_<

• Praise 2

(edited)

I have few friends who used contractors with good/bad experience. There were some contractors who disappeared (closed down company) after collecting money. So now those "more kiasi" ones who wanna renovate will either find contractors that are highly recommended by friends/relatives OR pay a bit more to established ID company.

But even using ID company, some people still get bad experience depending on the designer they work with. So it's better to get quotes from different companies, meet different designer and see which one you are most comfortable in working with.

Most importantly, have everything agreed in black and white to avoid disputes in future. Some good things about using an ID company are that there is someone to manage and supervise the contractors/work process for you AND some form of "warranty". At least the established ones are more unlikely to close down suddenly. All these come with a cost of course. :)

Big firms like Unimax Interior Design, Weiken, Cissern etc all come with their fair share of good and bad reviews.

In the end, it's still a matter of luck. :)

Edited by Warmsnowman
  • Praise 2

anyone did renovation to their flat in the past six months ?

got reliable renovation company to recommend ?

not doing fanciful reno ... eg no customized furniture except the kitchen cabinet, so dun really need ID but more like a supervisor to get the job done.

alternatively, can also tell me which company to stay away from.

A good friend of mine just did her home renovation at http://www.singaporerenovations.com/ Thumbs up (Y)

Alot and good service from the company, as what she told me. ;)

• Praise 3

A good friend of mine just did her home renovation at http://www.singaporerenovations.com/ Thumbs up (Y)

Alot and good service from the company, as what she told me. ;)

already done in and completed in march already .... took up one of those all-in-one packages ... i feel its reasonably priced and since not much designing in it, was completed in 6 weeks.

• Praise 2

I did a reno last December...did the whole Kitchen (Tiles, tops and cabinets) and re-wallpaper and repainting plus the added stuff that usually my wife is adding on (you know how it goes)...I was at my place (yes clear leave before year end to supervise on-site my renovation but worth it though tiring as I can immediately say to add this to go this way myself not relying on the contractor to download the info to his guys doing the work)...got the chance to compare and view options also specially on tiles, taps etc..

Pricing wise quite ok if I compare with a co-league but his one is the whole house....support wise, during the reno if the guy is called in he will respond...post renovation, still answer my calls for touchups and actually have some other stuff but not that rush but still can commit...

Only gripe is the uncle was don't know if too much coffee but really pushing work...during the course of work I was the one who tries to slow down and ask to see the sample before going ahead...carpentry is done by themselves...not subcon...

If you want I can pm the contact...their office in woodlands...marsiling estate...

Hi can pm me the contact?

i work in woodlands...maybe can look see their office.

looking to do some renovations very soon...getting keys liao.

thanks in advance. [thumbsup]

• Praise 2

When it comes to big-ticket purchases like these, especially when it is something one has to live with for a long time to come, it is probably good not to give the business to someone whom you know (either directly or indirectly).

QUOTE (Chucky2007 @ Feb 12 2013, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is true. One of my ex-colleague's new flat reno given to his NS buddy and the two fell out due to some disagreement and delays which then go to the Small Claim Tribunal in the end.

And the 2 neber talked again even when meet each other in NS...... dry.gif

• Praise 2

Has anyone tried AJ Design Vision? How is their quality and workmanship?

I just did my place up. Not AJ tho.

Nowadays Getting a gd contractor like TOTO really

If u want a gd one pm me I'll pass his contact n refer u. A fellow BMW kaki. Extremely pleased w his work and full confidence in his overall approach

• Praise 4

And I always KS get at least 3 to 5 quotations.. just to have a rough feel and compare a little and bargain a little. but unlike governments, I don't settle for the lowest price. Always remember, all the materials are different, if y order from same material, and different companies quote roughly the same, but got one that's super low price.. how can it be right? And lastly, I prefer to use a freindly and responsible coordinator as according to my gut feel..

This is of prime importance.

Can make the job so much easier and less stressful.

• Praise 1

I just did my place up. Not AJ tho.

Nowadays Getting a gd contractor like TOTO really

If u want a gd one pm me I'll pass his contact n refer u. A fellow BMW kaki. Extremely pleased w his work and full confidence in his overall approach

Handsome , how much ur reno ? 

• Praise 1

if u hv to ask..u cannot afford

reno istana u think lo? :XD::XD:

Ya la ... thats what i thought too .

That kind of reno , sure treat you like Hades for sure .

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3