Spray Paint for shiny metal

Kianbeng

Hi guys,

I've got a chandelier which is very old and I'm trying to do restoration. I've send to someone to do restoration a few years ago since the gold plating faded. But the restoration work done previously wasn't quite nice. The chandelier was spray painted in gold paint but its quite dull even when newly restored. So I don't know if its a paint problem or is there any better products out there.

I've sanded/rubbed down the paint using very fine grit sandpaper, including some remnants of the gold plating, revealing a shiny base metal. Not sure what was the metal material but there are fine spots of rust/oxidation, but very minimal given that this chandelier is 20yrs old.

I'm considering either

1) Applying clear coat over it and leave it as such. But I really wonder if it'll have strong adhesion since the base metal is shiny now. I am inclined to do this since it'll maintain a shiny look even though its nolonger gold colour.

2) Applying Rustoleum Metallic Pure Gold paint. Has anyone tried this before? This is expensive but I'm guessing it'll turn out better than the cheap gold paint from neighbourhood hardware shops. Also, for this Rustoleum range, I think it has a primer combined in this paint so it should last a long time.

Any comments?

↡ Advertisement

You can get Rust O leum from Self Fix DIY shops located in Shopping Centres.

Yes it has primer and the protective quality is very good.

But I must caution against any expectation to have that 'reflective shine' as you would have gotten from highly polished metal or plated gold. At most to you'll get metallic gold finish.

Hi there,

im into restoration too. both as hobby and business.

for what i understand,

to get that 'reflective shine' :

send for stripping and polishing

gold plating or brass plating with clear coat.

but very expensive...

or simply sand it down, make sure there are no pits.

and spray it.

and finish it with clear coat.... min 2 coats.

Rustoleum Metallic Pure Gold paint does not shine... i have one can. its matt but the best gold looking finish in a can. (trust me i tried all the brands out there)

also while u are at it..... pls change the wires and if needed the light bulb holders.

and take pictures of you dismantling it.... easy to look at pictures and fix it back....

good luck and enjoy the DIY

From the little (and I mean very little) that I understand, spray painting cannot get such effect, should be plating or powder coating where the item is dipped in some liquid.

Hi guys,

I've got a chandelier which is very old and I'm trying to do restoration. I've send to someone to do restoration a few years ago since the gold plating faded. But the restoration work done previously wasn't quite nice. The chandelier was spray painted in gold paint but its quite dull even when newly restored. So I don't know if its a paint problem or is there any better products out there.

I've sanded/rubbed down the paint using very fine grit sandpaper, including some remnants of the gold plating, revealing a shiny base metal. Not sure what was the metal material but there are fine spots of rust/oxidation, but very minimal given that this chandelier is 20yrs old.

I'm considering either

1) Applying clear coat over it and leave it as such. But I really wonder if it'll have strong adhesion since the base metal is shiny now. I am inclined to do this since it'll maintain a shiny look even though its nolonger gold colour.

2) Applying Rustoleum Metallic Pure Gold paint. Has anyone tried this before? This is expensive but I'm guessing it'll turn out better than the cheap gold paint from neighbourhood hardware shops. Also, for this Rustoleum range, I think it has a primer combined in this paint so it should last a long time.

Any comments?

It is not the quality of the paint you should be concerned about here but the finishing i.e. how you apply the paint. I dont think you are able to apply a very fine even coat of paint using those ordinary spray cans. The level of atomisation is simply not there.

I believe the process is called Anodizing. It's actually a layer of aluminium oxide formed on the metal surface using electroplating process. It comes in clear coat, green, blue, orange, red, purple and even gold colour. If you want to do this you have to remove all non metallic parts and moving parts, if parts are link together you have to remove them. It's very tedious.

If the original is done this way it's easy to strip the original coating and redo it.

Or another way is to chrome the metal frame of the chandelier but also must strip it down as of above I mentioned.

Edited by Watwheels
↡ Advertisement