Top Gear (Korea) helicopter crash caught on camera

Wishcumstrue

I always wondered how does BBC get access to all the expensive military stuff in their shows? (not juz the helicopter or tanks but manpower, fuel, etc) :wacko:

Imagine if mediacorpse did the same here wif SAF, i tink forums will kpkb and ministar gotta go parliament to exprain and LHL apologise liao. [laugh]

Turn was too steep for such a low altitude... of course, crash.

For a heli, the main rotor blades are all that generates lift. Turn it almost sideways and the heli becomes a falling brick... [dead]

Turn was too steep for such a low altitude... of course, crash.

For a heli, the main rotor blades are all that generates lift. Turn it almost sideways and the heli becomes a falling brick... [dead]

Helis are supposed to be able to do with tight turns. They can even turn 360 on the spot.

Watch this :

The helicopter has been retired from the forces so it was probably a privately owned helicopter ... not sure if the insurance covers!

Yes - its seems to be privately owned since it is...err was a retired Coba.

The shooting was done in last year at a Arizona airfield.

Below report shows another footage of one of the 2 pilots (fat one) getting out from the wreckage and walking!

Very lucky indeed.

http://in.lifestyle.yahoo.com/video/channe...w-31690289.html

helicopter-crash-2.jpg

6bd7d856d35690b0cee9bf3ce4f81ca6.jpg

Edited by Wishcumstrue

Advertisement ? :blink:

Chevy marketing executive can try buying the video rights from BBC then use it in commercials like :

Chevy Corvette ZR1 vs Bell Cobra AH-1 - Score 1/0 :D

An Immelmann turn executed without due regard for altitude loss during the maneuver... likely pilot error.

I think NTSB report may hind that before investigation complete:

http://dms.ntsb.gov/aviation/AccidentRepor...42013120000.pdf

On March 01, 2012, at 1220 mountain standard time, N197LE, an experimental exhibition Bell AH-1F

helicopter experienced a flight control malfunction while maneuvering and impacted the ground at

Coolidge Municipal Airport (P08), Coolidge, Arizona. The helicopter was operated by the Army

Aviation Heritage Foundation and Museum Inc. under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations

Part 91. The pilot and mechanic received minor injuries; the helicopter sustained substantial

damage. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the local area flight that departed P08 at

an undetermined time.....

Airworthiness inspectors from the Federal Aviation Administration responded to the site, and reported no obvious mechanical failures. The investigation is on-going.

Updated on Mar 23 2012 5:54PM

I think NTSB report may hind that before investigation complete:

http://dms.ntsb.gov/aviation/AccidentRepor...42013120000.pdf

On March 01, 2012, at 1220 mountain standard time, N197LE, an experimental exhibition Bell AH-1F

helicopter experienced a flight control malfunction while maneuvering and impacted the ground at

Coolidge Municipal Airport (P08), Coolidge, Arizona. The helicopter was operated by the Army

Aviation Heritage Foundation and Museum Inc. under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations

Part 91. The pilot and mechanic received minor injuries; the helicopter sustained substantial

damage. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the local area flight that departed P08 at

an undetermined time.....

Airworthiness inspectors from the Federal Aviation Administration responded to the site, and reported no obvious mechanical failures. The investigation is on-going.

Updated on Mar 23 2012 5:54PM

Yup, I also think its pilot error. Looking at the video, the heli is coming to a stall turn, nose-down position. Should increase the collective to counter the stalling effect. Stalling will cause the heli to fall like a rock as in the video.

My experience as a r/c heli pilot. :D Not to be taken too seriously. BTW, I like to do stall turn maneuvers.

How much is the helicopter worth?

There is currently an AH-1H on the market in the US for nearly US$700,000. They're built tough but I suspect this would be written off as an uneconomical repair.

↡ Advertisement