Fire alarms at MRT stations can be heard only by staff

Duckduck

Er....where is the joke?

Safe ride

Cheers

joke is public cannot hear the alarm, end up inhaling smoke like the recent incident... wat if they walk into a fire hazard while mrt r investigating?

like i said then dont put fire alarms in office buidlings y bother

joke is public cannot hear the alarm, end up inhaling smoke like the recent incident... wat if they walk into a fire hazard while mrt r investigating?

like i said then dont put fire alarms in office buidlings y bother

to avoid unnecessary panick and stampede I guess.... quite scary if the crowd start to panick [sweatdrop]

I see.

But i was thinking that if everyone can hear the alarm and panics, it can mean quicker death than smoke inhalation eg stampede or each clawing or pushing or elbowing each way's out. Worse will be everyone becomes immune to the sound of alarm and think it's another drill, like how most, if not all will behave in some shopping malls.....machiam loud alarm like no alarm.

People working in offices are "trained" or taught how to evacuate during a fire, but in a mrt station where the commuters come from all walks of life, will be clueless on fire exit points or fastest route out of a particular section in the station, will need expert guidance/directions rather than just panic upon hearing such an alarm.

Hence, personally did not think there is a joke here.

Safe ride

Cheers

• Praise 1

also with the alarm people will run all over the place and may end up in the danger zone (sometime the blind lead the blind, all die together). Only after the verification then they know where the fire is and carry out proper evacuation plan to safety area.

I see.

But i was thinking that if everyone can hear the alarm and panics, it can mean quicker death than smoke inhalation eg stampede or each clawing or pushing or elbowing each way's out. Worse will be everyone becomes immune to the sound of alarm and think it's another drill, like how most, if not all will behave in some shopping malls.....machiam loud alarm like no alarm.

People working in offices are "trained" or taught how to evacuate during a fire, but in a mrt station where the commuters come from all walks of life, will be clueless on fire exit points or fastest route out of a particular section in the station, will need expert guidance/directions rather than just panic upon hearing such an alarm.

Safe ride

Cheers

I see.

Safe ride

Cheers

most fire deaths r caused by smoke inhalation, not actual fire burns. its a big risk to allow pple to stay inside the station while investigations happen.

I survived a fire in a windowless building n can tell u i almost passed out on smoke inhalation alone... it was most terrifying experience.

Its for their SMRT staff to access if its a real alarm or not. Once its established that its a real fire, they will direct passengers to evacuate safely. They know where the fire is and would know which route is safest for all. If the alarm just sounds and everyone panic and take the nearest exit, they may take the wrong exit and run into the fire directly.

Its for their SMRT staff to access if its a real alarm or not. Once its established that its a real fire, they will direct passengers to evacuate safely. They know where the fire is and would know which route is safest for all. If the alarm just sounds and everyone panic and take the nearest exit, they may take the wrong exit and run into the fire directly.

Or worse, there could be a crush causing people to fall/trip and then have a stampede run over them in a false alarm.

Stupidest fire alarm in the world

Personally i think it is better to let the stuff handle it quietly, there will be mass chaos if the commuters were to run blindly around the place, choking up all the access points till help cannot arrive . They have all the CCTV wired up to the control centre so they have all seeing ability to better direct the crowd, worse is some hero wanna be start directing people to the wrong place.

You've got to love a country where the cash-sucking device known as the IU keeps beeping and beeping and beeping when you have low funds, but a life-saving device like the fire alarm is hushed up. :D

Singapore - No. 1 in getting its priorities right. [laugh]

Edited by Turboflat4

my experience: i was staying in a hotel n there was a fire raging downstairs. D alarm didnt go off at all so by d time i realized that there was a fire, the entire corridor was full of black smoke n cannot see properly n v hard to breath. So i quickly ran down d stairwell but after that kena throat irritation n lack of breath.

Its all good if nothing serious occurs, but if its really a big fire, its may be too late to leave the building already if u didnt get warned when fire broke out initially.

You've got to love a country where the cash-sucking device known as the IU keeps beeping and beeping and beeping when you have low funds, but a life-saving device like the fire alarm is hushed up. :D

Singapore - No. 1 in getting its priorities right. [laugh]

Took the words right out of my mouth mate. Words only hor nothing else

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/fire-...eard-only-staff

biggest joke of all. By the time u realize got smoke n fire, u die already..

Then why all office buildings need fire drill??? Next time just stay in office dont panic! HHHAAHAHAHAH

This has got to be one of the most stupid things i ever heard. Evacuation procedures are important for enclosed spaces and densely crowded places. Which of the following places below won't run the risk of having unnecessary confusion, panic and disorder if a fire evacuation routine goes awry?

1.) School

2.) Office Building

3.) Shopping Mall

Bottomline, being informed is a key to a proper evacuation. Withholding the information that a fire alarm has been sounded goes squarely against that!