My engine after 150,000 kms

Ncp91

TS, it is easier you send the car to a mechanic for a check, there are many possibilities. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, shutterbox said:

Thanks guys. 

I also realized that the sound only comes in when engaged to Drive.

Didnt seem to hear it when vehicle is in P/N n I tried revving it. 

CVT Gear change was ok, didnt feel lost of power

Does that point to a different problem? 

Sorry, if its a rattling sound, then it is not the wheel nor the belt becos they commonly produce a wheezing sound and do no rattle due to the circular motion on a centered fulcrum.

rattling sounds are due more likely to movements which are either vertical or horizontal by nature. And if it gets louder and louder as you rev then something is loose and touching another component when the engine is in motion.

have you zeroed in on the location of the sound?  Its likely to be external and not inside the engine. Hoist up to identify source of sound and look for loose parts

• Praise 4

9 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

Sorry, if its a rattling sound, then it is not the wheel nor the belt becos they commonly produce a wheezing sound and do no rattle due to the circular motion on a centered fulcrum.

rattling sounds are due more likely to movements which are either vertical or horizontal by nature. And if it gets louder and louder as you rev then something is loose and touching another component when the engine is in motion.

have you zeroed in on the location of the sound?  Its likely to be external and not inside the engine. Hoist up to identify source of sound and look for loose parts

Rattling sound seem to be associated with drive train. 

Suspect is from trannny side. either CVT gb as MKl22 suggested, or after the gearbox. 

Sound goes away when car has warmed up. That's why I find it hard to pinpoint. 

27 minutes ago, shutterbox said:

Rattling sound seem to be associated with drive train. 

Suspect is from trannny side. either CVT gb as MKl22 suggested, or after the gearbox. 

Sound goes away when car has warmed up. That's why I find it hard to pinpoint. 

Perhaps some parts loose/worn but expand and tighten themselves when warm.

• Praise 1

Check for any scratch marks on any of the brake backing plates. 

Does the exhibited sound only limited to turning the wheels during a cold start? 

• Praise 1

53 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Check for any scratch marks on any of the brake backing plates. 

Does the exhibited sound only limited to turning the wheels during a cold start? 

Seems to be only during cold start. 

After driving at hiway for 10min sound gone. 

9 minutes ago, shutterbox said:

Do check the plates... I have that too but living with it...😁

• Praise 1

My previous 06 verna 1.4A, same problem... used to drive me nuts. Komoco had korean 'master' engineer in town, he explained its the  transfer of oil fm cold start. Noise goes away wen warmed up. In the end, extended COE n car was troublefree n mind also no more nuts.

• Haha! 1

Twincharged

i drive a sedan 1.6, my engine has not reached 150k yet... probably will next wear.

but i been noticing strange issue.

when i travel highway, i see the fuel consumption reflect as up to 20km/l.

but overall my fc is only about 9km/l., i take it as perhaps being caused by WFH thus many short journey to market etc instead of cruising expressway.

but i also noticed that after i fill up, i could almost reach 3/4 tank after just 2 days even though barely drive 50km 😵... is this a engine performance issue or something leaking fuel even?  Is there a way to check fuel tank leak?

(edited)
12 minutes ago, Playtime said:

i drive a sedan 1.6, my engine has not reached 150k yet... probably will next wear.

but overall my fc is only about 9km/l., i take it as perhaps being caused by WFH thus many short journey to market etc instead of cruising expressway.

but i also noticed that after i fill up, i could almost reach 3/4 tank after just 2 days even though barely drive 50km 😵... is this a engine performance issue or something leaking fuel even?  Is there a way to check fuel tank leak?

I tink it's the age thingy...not the car...even if you go full electric...you'll worry about battery drain...😁

You'll know if it leaks fuel due to pump or tank...no fire so far corright? 😅

On serious note, you'll smell the benzine if it's leaky...also change the fuel consumption reading on the car to average instead of on the fly...

Edited by mersaylee

(edited)
On 3/12/2022 at 9:12 PM, shutterbox said:

Toyota VVTi engines are known to have this problem. Wear and tear on the variable valve timing actuator. It is situated at the end of the camshaft. Either due to wear and tear or not enough oil pressure to move the actuator. The actuator is stuck in one position on cold start up. That's why it vibrates a lot. Go to Youtube and find this issue. See whether it is the same as yours.

ngcb32

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2

28 minutes ago, Playtime said:

What car make and model? Is it like the other thread have to remove the air intake manifold to clean the intake valves. Intake valves and throttle body choked with gunk? Got EGR or not? Need cleaning or not?

• Haha! 1

Twincharged
1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

What car make and model? Is it like the other thread have to remove the air intake manifold to clean the intake valves. Intake valves and throttle body choked with gunk? Got EGR or not? Need cleaning or not?

A 95 Nissan sylphy. First hand. 

I tot it wad simply old, but highway cruising fc seem to suggest engine is ok, thus the 1/4 tank drop that got me thinking maybe it isn't the engine that's problem 🤔

Twincharged
1 hour ago, mersaylee said:

I tink it's the age thingy...not the car...even if you go full electric...you'll worry about battery drain...😁

You'll know if it leaks fuel due to pump or tank...no fire so far corright? 😅

On serious note, you'll smell the benzine if it's leaky...also change the fuel consumption reading on the car to average instead of on the fly...

Yeah... so far no smell anything. 🤞

• Praise 1