Petrol Price Movement in Singapore

Friendstar

16 hours ago, serenade said:

Now we know why EV will never be promoted here. So much revenue is from petrol taxes which EV growth will reduce.

To me, the reason given for the tax increase is very hypocritical. The reason given is to "reduce vehicle emissions".  If the government is serious about reducing emissions and not to increase revenue, there should be a corresponding rebate on taxes for EV/hybrid vehicles that put up less carbon.   

I don't support EV rebate. It only helps the very rich. How many HDB or even condo dwellers are going to buy an EV then fight for a charging lot in their HDB carpark (if there is even one)?

Only those landed property dwellers benefit!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

36 minutes ago, mikk123 said:

i guess this is government way to push everyone to go for electric car, or hybrid car? 

Not that "cheap" too, like many have said infra not ready. Most are still skeptical in regards to EV's up keep, battery etc.

I think many towkays here that have a fleet of commercial vehs will also headache. 

The govt is trying to phase out diesel vans / trucks for petrol versions (giving small rebates for adoption now). 

This petrol tax double whammy for businesses. Ultimately consumers will pay the price, with the most likely scenario businesses will pass the cost down. 

Edited by Atachi

U got to give it to the government. They package it as a "green initiative" to encourage EV adoption but in actual fact collect more revenue since they know EV infrastructure is not yet ready.

One stone kill 2 birds 😎

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 2

8 minutes ago, kelaihoyin said:

U got to give it to the government. They package it as a "green initiative" to encourage EV adoption but in actual fact collect more revenue since they know EV infrastructure is not yet ready.

One stone kill 2 birds 😎

by implementing it with immediate effect it ensures maximum revenue

can't be expecting ppl to change to EV overnight 

• Haha! 4

8 minutes ago, wlalala said:

by implementing it with immediate effect it ensures maximum revenue

can't be expecting ppl to change to EV overnight 

Want to encourage EV then build the infrastructure la.

How can HDB dwellers buy an EV? Charge where?

9 minutes ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

Want to encourage EV then build the infrastructure la.

How can HDB dwellers buy an EV? Charge where?

The song being sung has always been "car-lite".

Give up your petrol/diesel car? Good. Don't replace it with EV? Gahmen also armchio.

17 hours ago, serenade said:

Now we know why EV will never be promoted here. So much revenue is from petrol taxes which EV growth will reduce.

To me, the reason given for the tax increase is very hypocritical. The reason given is to "reduce vehicle emissions".  If the government is serious about reducing emissions and not to increase revenue, there should be a corresponding rebate on taxes for EV/hybrid vehicles that put up less carbon.   

Already the pseudo car lite as a result of covid already shows that the work from home helps reduce the congestion. Just need to see if it’s workable for the long run. Then u have a huge reduction to the co2 emissions.

EV is only GREEN if your source of electricity is from WIND or SOLAR or WAVE.  But our electricity is burning fossil fuels.   Yes, less road pollution, but the burning continues nonetheless.  So, EVs are not really a fantastic idea here.

HYBRIDs on the other hand, reduce the burning of fossil fuels by using less....  and no need for expensive infrastructure (which needs energy to build)

Govt not wholistic enough, go EVs but make sure the source of electricity is also GREEN at the same time.

• Praise 3

It’s never about going green la.

It’s always about asking the peasants  to take public transport and leave the cars to the rich and elite. Don’t want? Then work hard to be the rich and elite I guess.

Oh and of course the money.

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 3