Pest or insect problems with landed property?

Extinguisher

Deciding between high level condo or landed property. Wife n kids r terrified of cockroaches n other crawlies. Will this problem be prevalent in landed. Undetstand lizards r unavoidable though.

↡ Advertisement

High level condo may face crawlies problem unless u install a watertight refuse chute that cost $500 in the first place.. landed sure have unless u pour sulphur + pesticides around house perimeters every now and then and seal the drainage that connects to outside.

Pest.....u refering to human beings as well? [laugh]

Pesky neighbours peering over my walls, don't knw for what,

And other pple's maids as well, most probably to check for any new addition to my household.

I have cats from neighbours that like to poo on my lawn, despite my having big dogs around.

I am staying on a 14th floor flat for 5 years, the no of cockroach sigthing inside my flat is not more than 5 i think, even though there are many cockroaches on my void deck. I hate to play the pest buster man role (fact is I am a bit scared of cockroaches too). If this is a frequent problem in landed, then it may be one factor to consider hehee...

Deciding between high level condo or landed property. Wife n kids r terrified of cockroaches n other crawlies. Will this problem be prevalent in landed. Undetstand lizards r unavoidable though.

Depends on ur luck. Have 2 friends.....condo in Upp Bukit Timah (not ground flr ), discovered Termites

in door frames, skirtings, shoe cabinets...etc...

It seemed that the ants went up via concealed trunkings from the ground up.

Cockroaches can find their way into the apt when there's dampness in cabinets, esp under the sinks in kitchen & bathrooms.

Also when there's pesticide fogging of the garbage chutes. Oh, also creepy crawlies like spiders and other insects too when

the gardener mows the grass. Learnt this when I rented an apt on 2nd level of a condo while waiting out A&A to my hse.

Really freaked me out! [shocked]

generally, insects and mosquitoes will be less and less from 7th floor onwards. not even houseflies.

if you believe in TCM and other related stuff, it is better to stay nearer to the surface of earth, ie: ground floor.

Pardon me but it seems like a silly reason to buy the condo over the landed.

The landed is a better long term investment in land-scarce singapore. You are going to be so thankful for amount of space you are getting, especially when singapore is gonna get super crowded in the next 20 years.

To live in, buy landed.

To invest (rental yield, capital appreciation, etc), buy resale HDB or Condo.

May I add that if pests are your problem, you are gonna get so many pests in the human form at condos.

Edited by Viceroymenthol

the landed if got grass just lay cement all over then won't have much insects liao but of course you and your neighbour cleanliness plays a part too

Aiyoh please don't do that leh..... House with nice garden become house with outdoor tiled flooring.... Like those red light houses in geylang... Singapore already so built up with tiles and concrete everywhere.... It is nice to have a big piece of greenery in your own home.

Actually i feel it depends on individual and on locations for both condos and landed.

Sometimes, a nice condo/penthouse might offer nicer living environment than some small landed terrace house.

For those living in high floors, it is always quite windy and cool.

Of course not talking about those 25,000 sq ft GCB , but those normal terrace or semi-d tend to be rather warm and stuffy.

Also, parking is almost always a contentious issue with landed properties.

Really feel it when visiting during CNY, no place to park, got to park like 3 streets away in front of other people house.

Then those people unhappy, glare at you when you leave.

Somemore, many of those landed are in small cul-de-sacs, both sides parked with cars, want to get out need 4 or 5 point turn.

In fact, really dread to visit a relative in the Telok Kurau area for CNY, basically only 1 way in or out.

Both sides got cars. Drive 5m got to try to slot one side, cos got car in front driving towards u.

I ever got stuck behind a car who was having a face-off with with the other car also dun want to give way.

One of the cars in front rang the door bell of one of the cars owners parked along side the road to drive his car inside, so can end the face-off.

The house owner also one kind, can park at least 2 cars inside his house, insist on leaving his car outside to 'chope' the space.

Landed is of course large and comfy in land scarce Singapore, but i think there are also externalities to live with.

Of course condo got its own issues, but if you get a penthouse, maybe with a private lift lobby, or maybe even designated parking lot, many of the contentious issues are resolved.

Like some here have said, it depends on the condo also.

My simplistic view on this..

• Praise 1

When live in landed, insects are considered small time pests :))

My in-laws live in landed. When i sleepover and walk down to kitchen at early hours and see movements from corner of my eye,must investigate. Cannot afford to dismiss as imagination, unlike in flat.

Intruders so far: monkey, frogs, a bat, rat, snake (probably going after the same rat :D ), centipede... There are more

• Praise 1

My in-laws live in landed. When i sleepover and walk down to kitchen at early hours and see movements from corner of my eye,must investigate. Cannot afford to dismiss as imagination, unlike in flat.

Intruders so far: monkey, frogs, a bat, rat, snake (probably going after the same rat :D ), centipede... There are more

you're correct..insects are the least of concerns when one is facing monkeys and snakes..and the occasional bees :o

You all talk like never talk.

Condo maintenance how much a month? A year?

If you spend that amount, can more than maintain pest busters contract for a year. Confirm no pests. The leftover can maintain your swimming pool (quarterly or bi) and small elevator for a year also if no big issues.

Somemore, many of those landed are in small cul-de-sacs, both sides parked with cars, want to get out need 4 or 5 point turn.

In fact, really dread to visit a relative in the Telok Kurau area for CNY, basically only 1 way in or out.

Both sides got cars. Drive 5m got to try to slot one side, cos got car in front driving towards u.

I ever got stuck behind a car who was having a face-off with with the other car also dun want to give way.

One of the cars in front rang the door bell of one of the cars owners parked along side the road to drive his car inside, so can end the face-off.

The house owner also one kind, can park at least 2 cars inside his house, insist on leaving his car outside to 'chope' the space.

Landed is of course large and comfy in land scarce Singapore, but i think there are also externalities to live with.

that is why must choose your place wisely, not all landed has parking issues. My place is near the end of the road but it does not terminate in a cul-de-sac. Rather there is a perpendicular road WITH NO HOUSES on both sides joining to the next parallel road so parking is almost never an issue even on peak period like CNY. You don't see that nowadays as the land used for that road can probably built a few more units of terrace houses.

Also you don't have to do 3 point turns to reverse out. The road is also wide enough to park on both sides and still let traffic through.

Edited by Wind30

This also depends on where your landed is. If your landed borders a nature reserve than you have plenty of such things.

I have stayed in my place for 3+ years and the biggest thing I have seen is lizard. I don't think you will see much "wildlife" as long as your landed don't border a forest.

I think the age of the landed is also impt. If the place is "newly" built, I think the first few years might have things like snakes. But all these wildlife will die off after some years.

Edited by Wind30
  • Praise 1

Aiyoh please don't do that leh..... House with nice garden become house with outdoor tiled flooring.... Like those red light houses in geylang... Singapore already so built up with tiles and concrete everywhere.... It is nice to have a big piece of greenery in your own home.

I only give him an option to cure his pest problem... lol

Pardon me but it seems like a silly reason to buy the condo over the landed.

Why silly? Not saying this is the sole factor, but this is one of the factors to consider as it contributes to living conditions, no? Imagine every few days u hear your wife or kid screaming for help... Defintely u want your habitat to be as bugs-free as possible?

Why silly? Not saying this is the sole factor, but this is one of the factors to consider as it contributes to living conditions, no? Imagine every few days u hear your wife or kid screaming for help... Defintely u want your habitat to be as bugs-free as possible?

stayed landed quite long liao, stay a few places.. no such problem

. don't worry

↡ Advertisement