Australia: Car Rental in Melbourne

Tjkbeluga

When you rent car, rental company will ask you to buy insurance cover.

This cover will have a 1k or 1.5k excess, i.e. if damage is 2k, insurer will pay 500 and you have to pay 1.5k.

If you buy travel insurance will rental car excess of 1k, you can claim 1k out 1.5k you forked out.

Ah ... ok. Understand now.

see too many numbers comparing the travel insurance companies until my brain not thinking properly.

↡ Advertisement

Ah ... ok. Understand now.

see too many numbers comparing the travel insurance companies until my brain not thinking properly.

Use GoBear to compare

Use GoBear to compare

Gobear their search results tend to be biased towards FWD, Etiqa and that few companies. I usually compare directly between each individual company websites.

If i take DBS travellershield mid tier plan, means the rental vehicle excess $1000 means anything above 1k, i have to foot myself right?

Cos the highest tier plan is $1500.

Whereas as the tripcover or car rental company excess is that $300 and below i need to pay, but above $300 no need.

Both are called the same, but opposite meaning?

Travel Insurance covers the excess, UP TO XXXX stated amount. 

so yes, get the one (Tripcover) with $300 Excess. This one can claim from travel policy. So effectively you have ZERO excess. 

• Praise 1

it's waay cheaper ! Plus it's underwritten by Allianz, not some kangaroo firm

The OZ big boys' excess is about 4k. No travel insurance out there cover that much

Yes, it will not cover the full excess amount. Have checked that DA covers 1.5k car excess.

Depending on the car type and model rented, excess could be more than 4k. I was informed excess was 6k for Audi Q5 rented from Sydney. The car insurance costs AUD 400, so I have decided to opt out.

If want hassle free experieince in car rental, better take zero excess package, be it from 3rd party or inhouse source. Beside getting the peace of mind because even if you are very careful you cannot prevcent any reckless drivers from damaging your car, there is another very important benefits with such transactions - ease of car returns.

From my few overseas car rental experience in Aussie, Japan, and USA, the staff literally never check when returning cars as nothing for the companies to claim under zero excess package. So can just drop the car and go. This is especially great if you want to maximise your time to wake up later or last-minute shopping before returning the car at airport to catch a plane back.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Guys anyone tried Europcar before?

Seems like cheapest if i choose an executive sedan (Camry)

Rent from those that are off airport, much cheaper.

I rented from Bargain, which a bro here had bad experience.

But for me, it was OK. Only thing is have to call them for the pickup from airport, meaning you will incur roaming charge unless you get a SIM card there. 

yes for sure. but for you and gf ok lah. I got kiddos + barang barang. Taking shuttle is no-no. bo bian, just pay more  [laugh]

I rented from Bargain, which a bro here had bad experience.

But for me, it was OK. Only thing is have to call them for the pickup from airport, meaning you will incur roaming charge unless you get a SIM card there. 

Off airport are definitely cheaper but if your flight are odd hours, it will not be suitable as most of them don't operate 24h and on Sundays

Hypersonic

yes for sure. but for you and gf ok lah. I got kiddos + barang barang. Taking shuttle is no-no. bo bian, just pay more [laugh]

I went alone that time..hahaha. Even easier, no one nag at me.

I went alone that time..hahaha. Even easier, no one nag at me. ð

Yes true. Depends on when the flight arrive and whether you have kids with you.

Yeah I'm arriving at 930 pm local time. So my aim is to quickly collect the car. Then drive to Airbnb nearby.

Yeah I'm arriving at 930 pm local time. So my aim is to quickly collect the car. Then drive to Airbnb nearby.

Just make sure there is sufficient luggage space for the car that you have booked. I had to change to a bigger car model even though the previous booked car boot was sufficient, it was barely enough and not much room for more.

And with the change, the wait could be much longer.

Just make sure there is sufficient luggage space for the car that you have booked. I had to change to a bigger car model even though the previous booked car boot was sufficient, it was barely enough and not much room for more.

And with the change, the wait could be much longer.

Getting a camry.

Executive sedan usually two large luggage and at most soft bags. Cos they don't tend to favour a large load lip like the elantra which ironically can squeeze a cabin bag on top of the luggage.

Camry rated at 2 large 2 small. Anyway we only 4 pax. Need to bring the booster seats from here though.

Well the next step up in terms of size is forester. But I don't really want to drive suv.

Getting a camry.

Executive sedan usually two large luggage and at most soft bags. Cos they don't tend to favour a large load lip like the elantra which ironically can squeeze a cabin bag on top of the luggage.

Camry rated at 2 large 2 small. Anyway we only 4 pax. Need to bring the booster seats from here though.

Well the next step up in terms of size is forester. But I don't really want to drive suv.

I just return from Melbourne. The weather is chilly. Avg 10 degC in the day. I took a camry as well. Big boot space for my one large + 3 small luggage. Went to Great Ocean Rd, Grampians NP, Ballarat and back to Melbourne. 

I just return from Melbourne. The weather is chilly. Avg 10 degC in the day. I took a camry as well. Big boot space for my one large + 3 small luggage. Went to Great Ocean Rd, Grampians NP, Ballarat and back to Melbourne.

Ha I going in Nov.

Doing apollo Bay - geelong - Melbourne CBD - Philip Island - cbd.

All kid centric or see the GOR sights stuff.

My bil is in Melbourne now. He going ballarat too. What's grampian np?

(edited)

Ha I going in Nov.

Doing apollo Bay - geelong - Melbourne CBD - Philip Island - cbd.

All kid centric or see the GOR sights stuff.

My bil is in Melbourne now. He going ballarat too. What's grampian np?

Grampian national park: Its gorgeous there. U will get to meet lotsa wild Kangaroos..

https://www.visitgrampians.com.au/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwl6LoBRDqARIsABllMSbobEaA5FP7E2dVfMu7kk1-ZdTp4YNVBF3i2Bh-Pt9yc1ko9OZDap4aApd5EALw_wcB

Edited by Fu11thr0tt1e
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1