Australia: Car Rental in Melbourne

Tjkbeluga

Turbocharged

Thanks. Will look out for it. Probably stay Airbnb near Melbourne Central.

When coming Melbourne?

Guys who been to melbourne. I'm doing 2 stays in melbourne CBD separated by 2 days where i go to philip island.

For free parking units, they are concentrated around melbourne central or southern cross station.

1st one, i've booked a airbnb near melbourne central for the weekend.

2nd one, should i book near southern cross station or book back near melbourne station?

The 2nd stay is just like 2 nights before i fly off on a thursday morning. Queen victoria market isn't open on wednesday as well.

2nd stay itinerary going where?

You can stay around Queen Vic area, not too chaotic..

Keep left to turn right.

It’s within the CBD.

Make sure rental car got electronic tag. Otherwise cannot go toll highway

No tag also can go, they use plate recognition to charge you..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

When coming Melbourne?

2nd stay itinerary going where?

You can stay around Queen Vic area, not too chaotic..

No tag also can go, they use plate recognition to charge you..

I think i'll stay southern cross side before i fly back. Just for something different.

Anyway it's the cheapest for that 2 nights.

Then next trip, then i'll know which side i prefer haha

Late nov. When school hols start  [;)]

Turbocharged

I think i'll stay southern cross side before i fly back. Just for something different.

Anyway it's the cheapest for that 2 nights.

Then next trip, then i'll know which side i prefer haha

Late nov. When school hols start  [;)]

Southern cross side means next to SC station? The traffic there is quite horrendous 

Actually i don't know what to make of car rental firms.

When i rented from Hertz in NZ last year, i also didn't take up their additional zero-excess option. I booked a Kia Carnival months beforehand, having learnt from a previous lesson of waiting too late and hence no more vehicles.... On arrival, they gave me a Toyota Previa, which had significantly less luggage space. Only on the 3rd day, and my family having endured rather uncomfortable ride, did i have presence of mind to email to protest, and Hertz then told me a Carnival is available at a city that i was going to (I told them my route), and offered an exchange. When i went there (Queenstown airport), i was told to park at Hertz's designated parking area, bring the key to the counter in the terminal, where i signed forms and exchanged keys, then headed to drive off the Carnival. All without anyone from Hertz accompanying me.

At the end of our trip, at Christchurch airport, also just parked at the designated area, went to the booth nearby, where there was a lady busy sorting out lots of paperwork, and she just asked me to drop the key in a box there. I did and stood there waiting, and the she told me that's all, i can go off!!!

No checking of whether the car is really there, whether got damages/scratches, or whether i'd topped up fuel...

It was a long flight back as we took connection flight through Melbourne, and when I had wifi at Melbourne and checked my email, i saw Hertz sent me the final bill, which was exactly what was stated when i picked up the car, nothing more.

I've heard horror stories - including from my brother-in-law personally - about how they were blamed and charged for scratches/damages after they reached home, but my experience was a pleasant surprise - except for the first half when we had to squeeze in the Previa.

When I was in Tasmania 2 years back, my rental car was reversed into when parked in Cataract Gorge Reserve carpark. Only realised when we heard people shouting at us, and a kind family offered to be my witness if necessary and handed me his contact. The damage was not serious but definitely obvious to anyone. Was glad to have bought the zero excess package then haha.

Southern cross side means next to SC station? The traffic there is quite horrendous 

Collins street.

Should be ok bah. I'm just driving in on tues late afternoon, then leaving for airport on a thurs early morning.

ok. I just came back from Brisbane.

I did book a Camry from Europcar.

Yes, their price is quite good.

When I arrived, they gave me a Commodore station wagon.

The boot is huge. on my return, the boot could fit in 1x29" + 3x25" +1 x 21 cabin".  [sweatdrop]

I did not top up to reduce excess.

toll charges will charge into our cc later. Yet to see the bill for the toll.

Overall, very happy with Commodore. and Europcar.

hmm. But europcar the excess is higher 5.5k and above.

Think i will pick Budget with a 4.4k excess for slightly more, 15 AUD difference.

Since the tripcover only covers up to 4k excess

I think you have mistaken. Grampians is at the side of the 12th Apostles, further up. You can visit Tower Hill Wildlife Reserve on the way to Grampians NP which is another interesting site. Try Google for it.

GOR.jpg

How many days did you spend for this loop? Is is too rushed or okay? Thanks. May travel there mid December.

Applying for Australian visa and this 3rd party Tripcover insurance is not covered by travel insurance right?

So i should apply like 1 month before i fly?

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Think i will pick Budget with a 4.4k excess for slightly more, 15 AUD difference.

all sum up to how much risk you are willing to take.

Just need to remember, the excess is applicable if we are at fault.

So, the excess is a good reminder to ourselves to drive safe.

Anyway, the driving culture down under is much civilized than us.

The speeding enforcement is very strict. 1km more, kena ticket.

So, make sure your model comes with adaptive cruise control.

On motorway, everyone is driving at speed limit on both left and overtaking lane.

Even lorry are going at the speed limit.

So, we won't get pek chek kena stuck behind a slower vehicle on the left lane.

merging into motorway, they give enough distance for us to pick up speed before merging.

Cars on the motorway see us, they will slow down and give ways for us to enter.

roundabout, has clear arrows to tell us what we can do on that lane.

My iphone map does show me which lane I must take when entering a roundabout.

Generally, I would rate the risk of having an accident there is lower than in Singapore.

• Praise 2

(edited)

can try https://www.carhireexcess.com.au/

i used them as Hertz excess is 4.8k for standard car during my trip to Perth 2 weeks back.

They have 5k excess and is cheaper compared to tripcover for my case

Applying for Australian visa and this 3rd party Tripcover insurance is not covered by travel insurance right?

So i should apply like 1 month before i fly?

there is a guy in HWZ which offers VISA below standard rate and it's legit as well

Edited by Strat

sure. driving there is bit too civilized. haha can fall asleep at times due to speed limit on the more open roads

within the city it's reasonable.

Hmm hopefully got adaptive cruise control. 

all sum up to how much risk you are willing to take.

Just need to remember, the excess is applicable if we are at fault.

So, the excess is a good reminder to ourselves to drive safe.

Anyway, the driving culture down under is much civilized than us.

The speeding enforcement is very strict. 1km more, kena ticket.

So, make sure your model comes with adaptive cruise control.

On motorway, everyone is driving at speed limit on both left and overtaking lane.

Even lorry are going at the speed limit.

So, we won't get pek chek kena stuck behind a slower vehicle on the left lane.

merging into motorway, they give enough distance for us to pick up speed before merging.

Cars on the motorway see us, they will slow down and give ways for us to enter.

roundabout, has clear arrows to tell us what we can do on that lane.

My iphone map does show me which lane I must take when entering a roundabout.

Generally, I would rate the risk of having an accident there is lower than in Singapore.

can try https://www.carhireexcess.com.au/

i used them as Hertz excess is 4.8k for standard car during my trip to Perth 2 weeks back.

They have 5k excess and is cheaper compared to tripcover for my case

there is a guy in HWZ which offers VISA below standard rate and it's legit as well

yes that's where i intend to get it (for the visa)

But need to hunt down the contact.

Tripcover is cheaper for me than carhireexcess

sure. driving there is bit too civilized. haha can fall asleep at times due to speed limit on the more open roads

within the city it's reasonable.

Hmm hopefully got adaptive cruise control. 

yes that's where i intend to get it (for the visa)

But need to hunt down the contact.

Tripcover is cheaper for me than carhireexcess

here:

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/75322824-post222.html

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Tripcover has excess up to 6k, but pay more.. so up to you..

See what car you rent, adaptive cruise control.. not many cars have them but CC will be standard

• Praise 2

(edited)
The hwz one been around for many years. And seems a lot cheaper. This one is what 59 aud per pax or application.

Tripcover has excess up to 6k, but pay more.. so up to you..

See what car you rent, adaptive cruise control.. not many cars have them but CC will be standard

U have to pay a lot more to increase the excess. I'm OK with some small risk. Not going to be driving around late at night also. Just that europcar excess seems higher than its rivals. Edited by Lala81

Melbourne is one of my shortlisted destination for the year end holiday... anyone can advise if a trip from Melbourne to Phillip Island required an overnight stay in order to catch the fairy penguin which is in the evening? A 7-8 days trip to include both Phillip Island & GOR will it be too rush?

TIA  [:)]

↡ Advertisement