Australia: Car Rental in Melbourne

Tjkbeluga

Turbocharged
(edited)

Jialat 16 ppl.. u will end up needing another holiday to recover from this holiday. Me 6 ppl already Chuan..GOR is a bit of a twist and turns.. so bring along anti puke meds.. helps..

Edited by BenTong
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Good luck.

Hope you have a break after your holiday before going back to work.

For breakfast and dinner, it is better to have it in hotel/motel/whatever.

If older gen have preference for Chinese food only, better get them be ready before the trip.

Slow and frequent break is not good as it will lengthen your time to reach your destination. 

That is equivalent to exhaustion.  It is not good considering that it is a 10 day holiday.

It will be better to plan break together with stopover for photo.

Not a lot of ppl can drive 6 or 8 hrs a day over 10 days.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Jialat 16 ppl.. u will end up needing another holiday to recover from this holiday. Me 6 ppl already Chuan..GOR is a bit of a twist and turns.. so bring along anti puke meds.. helps..

Awesome. I be having a grp of 14 as well in oct. Short trip though. Take avantage of 1 public holiday and its a company short trip.

4 cars. 2yrs back we did perth west aust.

But this kind of trip good for bonding.

• Praise 2

My personal experience is that iMax very CMI for carrying many people. The car really no power, even struggling to go up slopes that are a bit steep. Carnival is a better choice and it is really powerful.

An option would be to book a iMax for carrying most of the barang barang and 4 people upfront, then book 2 of Carnival to carry  to 6 passengers each. It is very comfy to seat 6 people in a Carnival under 2+2+2 configuration, still with space to put some smaller luggages behind and infront. The boot space for a Canival is similar to a Estima, sunken in type that can swallow the 3rd row. For me, better to have lesser cars if can serve the purpose to reduce the number of active drivers at any time for rotation, also to save a bit of money haha.

I know what you mean. Yes, iMax is less powerful. But it has space aplenty.

We rented iMax twice in Gold Coast and Perth trips, and had first a Previa, then half way changed to Carnival for NZ trip.

Same 6 pax, but kids had grown a lot from the time we first went gold coast, to the NZ trip. Maybe doubled in weight...

iMax when wanna accelerate when upslope, is indeed straining, not so much for the other 2.

But space-wise, iMax can probably take up to twice what Previa can take in luggage, and maybe 40-50% more than Carnival.

I suggest avoid Previa, cos likely the sunken boot is halved, as there's a spare tyre there. Because of this, we had to make do with configuration of 2-3-1 on the Previa, while my kids and parents can sit 2-2-2 comfortably in both iMax and Carnival.

I actually think even 3 Carnivals might be sufficient, if luggage is not excessive. We could fit inside the boot:

- 1 big luggage (non-expandable)

- 3 medium luggage (can, but didn't expand)

- 2 small cabin luggage (one unexpanded, for laptop, gadgets; one expanded)

- 3 hand-carry bags/haversacks (these were put on the spare seats instead of the boot)

Awesome. I be having a grp of 14 as well in oct. Short trip though. Take avantage of 1 public holiday and its a company short trip.

4 cars. 2yrs back we did perth west aust.

But this kind of trip good for bonding.

4 cars for 14 pax is very luxurious leh.

Can squeeze into 2 MPVs in fact, but if company is paying, then ok lah [laugh]

Supercharged

I know what you mean. Yes, iMax is less powerful. But it has space aplenty.

We rented iMax twice in Gold Coast and Perth trips, and had first a Previa, then half way changed to Carnival for NZ trip.

Same 6 pax, but kids had grown a lot from the time we first went gold coast, to the NZ trip. Maybe doubled in weight...

iMax when wanna accelerate when upslope, is indeed straining, not so much for the other 2.

But space-wise, iMax can probably take up to twice what Previa can take in luggage, and maybe 40-50% more than Carnival.

I suggest avoid Previa, cos likely the sunken boot is halved, as there's a spare tyre there. Because of this, we had to make do with configuration of 2-3-1 on the Previa, while my kids and parents can sit 2-2-2 comfortably in both iMax and Carnival.

I actually think even 3 Carnivals might be sufficient, if luggage is not excessive. We could fit inside the boot:

- 1 big luggage (non-expandable)

- 3 medium luggage (can, but didn't expand)

- 2 small cabin luggage (one unexpanded, for laptop, gadgets; one expanded)

- 3 hand-carry bags/haversacks (these were put on the spare seats instead of the boot)

4 cars for 14 pax is very luxurious leh.

Can squeeze into 2 MPVs in fact, but if company is paying, then ok lah [laugh]

Lol. Booked 4x outlander equivalent..

This trip gor and yarra only. 4 days. Hehe.

2 days explore gor. Overnite. 2 nites st kilda.

Lol. Booked 4x outlander equivalent..

This trip gor and yarra only. 4 days. Hehe.

2 days explore gor. Overnite. 2 nites st kilda.

Should have booked Highlander mah... I saw many of these around in NZ, by far the most popular SUV. Must be something good...

Supercharged

Should have booked Highlander mah... I saw many of these around in NZ, by far the most popular SUV. Must be something good...

Booked with apex. Price bei pai.

(edited)

Good luck.

Hope you have a break after your holiday before going back to work.

For breakfast and dinner, it is better to have it in hotel/motel/whatever.

If older gen have preference for Chinese food only, better get them be ready before the trip.

Slow and frequent break is not good as it will lengthen your time to reach your destination.

That is equivalent to exhaustion. It is not good considering that it is a 10 day holiday.

It will be better to plan break together with stopover for photo.

Not a lot of ppl can drive 6 or 8 hrs a day over 10 days.

Plan not to drive less than 3/4 hours a day. And spending 2 nights at the some spots Edited by TangoCharlie

Can't remember which thread i asked this question. 

But I'm going to purchase 3rd party insurance from Tripcover for the rental vehicle. 

So my travel insurance has rental vehicle excess of 1,000. So that means I don't need pay anything up to 1000 dollars of damages right?
Then I can purchase the Tripcover limited insurance which covers from $300 aud excess to 4k? Rather than the full one. ($69 vs 80+ difference).

I really don't like the way insurance companies both use Excess for the term below and above... very confusing.

Edited by Lala81

21 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

But I'm going to purchase 3rd party insurance from Tripcover for the rental vehicle. 

So my travel insurance has rental vehicle excess of 1,000. So that means I don't need pay anything up to 1000 dollars of damages right?
Then I can purchase the Tripcover limited insurance which covers from $300 aud excess to 4k? Rather than the full one. ($69 vs 80+ difference).

I really don't like the way insurance companies both use Excess for the term below and above... very confusing.

Just buy the tripcover for 4k excess, it should cover you enough.. there's a $0 option as well for 4k excess

• Praise 2

25 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Travel insurance is to cover the EXCESS. 

Part 1 - Tripcover is to cover $300 - $4000.

Part 2 - Your own Travel Ins to cover up to $300. 

So yeah, just get the cheaper plan

Edited by Othello
  • Praise 1

22 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Excess is to ensure insured drives responsibly (I know marketing BS) and to lower premium.

Check exact wording of your policy. Travel policy will cover up to $1k.

So rental car coverage should have excess of $1k.

In short,

Travel Insurance: 0 - 1,000

Car rental insurance: From 1,001 onwards

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

Thanks for the replies guys... 

1st time buying 3rd party rental vehicle insurance.

for 3rd party insurance to cover excess, car rental company is blind to this.

if i am not wrong, they will swipe your credit card for a 4k hold amount when collecting car

if any damages, the car rental company will deduct accordingly and you need to send the claim to 3rd party insurer(s)

🤑

• Praise 3

15 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

NTUC travel insurance basic plan rental vehicle excess is $1500.

Mine is DBS travellershield plus mid-tier plan. 1k excess. 1.5k for the top tier plan.
I usually look at how much child medical expenses coverage and decide.

Hi when u guys went to the penguin viewing at Philip Island, u guys just got the regular tickets?
Anyone got penguin plus?

I've read quite a lot of reviews before, so i know more or less what the expectation is (heng suay, rude PRC tourists blocking etc)...

Is the Antarctic Journey worth it enough to buy the 2 park family pass? I will still go to the nobbies lookout anyway.

Edited by Lala81

3 hours ago, Lala81 said:

So what vehicle did you book? From which company and how much huh?

↡ Advertisement