Australia: Car Rental in Melbourne

Tjkbeluga

11 hours ago, Needinfo said:

Hi,

Hertz has 5% discount  for advance payment.

Has anyone had a problem  of pay first but no car available or  missing order while collecting car at airport?

If booking w the reputable big rental companies, sure have car. U may not get the exact model of car that was shown during booking (i.e u book corolla but they may give u a Elantra). But if a particular category of car is not available for whatever reason, u probably get a free upgrade

For Hertz adrenaline or luxury collection, u will get the exact model i.e Golf GTI, Q5, A4, etc.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

booked with hertz a few times in perth, sydney, and brisbane. 2 out of 3 times i got "similar" car in the class. my last booking i chose a hrv and gotten a chr instead. well, no complain as i could still fit ppl and luggages in

wanted to try redspot but couldn't get the car/class that i needed. their price seems to be pretty competitive.

Just back from my 10 days holiday at Melbourne.

Car - Rented a Cerato hatch from Apex. Not too much hassle in calling for the shuttle pickup to bring us to pick up the car which is less than 10 mins drive from airport. Paid AU$390 which included additional charge for late pickup (after 5pm) & 0 access. Car should be around 2 to 3 years old as mileage around 80k plus. Boot smaller than I expected but still can fit our 2 medium & 1 small luggage. Reasonable drive; power could have been better especially driving on the numerous bends on the GOR. Changing to sports mode does help.

Key places visited - Melbourne botanical garden, Chinatown, library, Victoria market, Brighton beach, Yarra valley, San Remo for Pelican feeding, Churchill island, Koala Reserve, Penguin parade, major lookouts along GOR & finally Grampian. 

Some photos to share. 

PhotoGrid_1574401847610.jpg

PhotoGrid_1574402233665.jpg

PhotoGrid_1574402430669.jpg

PhotoGrid_1574402535648.jpg

PhotoGrid_1574402706758.jpg

Edited by Spanly
  • Praise 10

How Difficult to drive in CBD with trams?

Is  City driving very jammed?

Any driving tips?

How to pay roadside parking meter with credit card?Or is it need coins? For roadside parking,any precautions?

For pump  petrol, is it self service ?To put petrol hose nozzle into  car rear tank cover cap and

activate  a button on panel or press nozzle lever?

Does payment by credit card  at petrol station require any  card PIN?

Edited by Needinfo
new question
  • Praise 1

17 hours ago, Needinfo said:

Any driving tips?

How to pay roadside parking meter with credit card?Or is it need coins? For roadside parking,any precautions?

For pump  petrol, is it self service ?To put petrol hose nozzle into  car rear tank cover cap and

Actually I didn't drive that much when I'm at Melbourne city itself. Only drove to the Queen Victoria Market & parked at the carpark there. The parking is via getting a ticket during entry & paid at a ticketing machine before you leave. As I've not parked on those roadside parking, I didn't checkout those parking meter & not able to help you out on this.

Traffic at CBD is definitely busier than the outskirt but I would said is still manageable; just paid attention to the traffic signals & signs. Parking at CBD is costly; so if possible try to avoid.

To pump petrol, just pump as usual & then paid up at the cashier inside the station. I paid cash so didn't try out on the credit card method.

If possible, would recommend to pump your petrol at stations in the city as the price would normally be higher at the other more remote areas such as Phillip Island, towns along the GOR & Hall Gap (if you going to the Grampian).

• Praise 1

On 11/22/2019 at 11:50 PM, Needinfo said:

Any driving tips?

can use credit card for city roadside parking meter. $7 per hour so you are prob better off parking those $16 flat rate if u be there for long

foc after 830pm and public holidays tho

the other is city tolls....avg around $7-8 each time. 

Scratched the hertz camry side (rear passenger door and wheel arch area) when trying to do left turn into a fiendishly tight car lift entrance for airbnb in Melbourne. With a one way lane flanked by brick walls and garbage bins.

And that was at the 3rd attempt to enter.

I've been driving executive sedans for years but this is the tightest turn ever. Don't think I can do it in my own car.

Makes any carpark in Singapore look like child's play. 

Hopefully the claim to travel insurance or tripcover is uncomplicated... 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

On 11/23/2019 at 2:50 AM, Needinfo said:

Any driving tips?

Most important is know how trams work in the city. 

Must watch. 

The jam can be bad during peak hours. Almost single lane. I came in on Friday late afternoon. But still manageable la. Just don't be in a rush lor. 

They are all pay wave here. No need pin like in nz last time. 

Pump petrol is self pump. The pump handle doesn't seem to have a notch to activate to lock until full tank though. For the one I used.

2 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Scratched the hertz camry side (rear passenger door and wheel arch area) when trying to do left turn into a fiendishly tight car lift entrance for airbnb in Melbourne. With a one way lane flanked by brick walls and garbage bins.

I've been driving executive sedans for years but this is the tightest turn ever. Don't think I can do it in my own car.

Do share your experience...am going ahead with trip cover too for my coming trip.  Hopefully just straight forward paperwork.🤞

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Lala81 said:

sorry to hear that man .... hope it turns out well. moment of truth !! Many of us here will be watching with interest 😛

• Haha! 3

26 minutes ago, Othello said:

sorry to hear that man .... hope it turns out well. moment of truth !! Many of us here will be watching with interest 😛

Haha yeah. If too troublesome. next round just get zero excess from the car rental company. 

i scratch rental car wheel  in swiss ... just 1 wheel ...  nabei already charged eur450

luckily the claim from rentalcovers insurance was quite straightforward

scratch passenger door and wheel arch ... how much they charge? aud2000? [sweatdrop]

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

4 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Sorry to hear this.

If I am not wrong, for tripcover, think you will need pay first and they will then reimburse you.

Hope the process of claiming is smooth and not complicated.

• Praise 1

On 11/27/2019 at 10:54 AM, Strat said:

Sorry to hear this.

If I am not wrong, for tripcover, think you will need pay first and they will then reimburse you.

Hope the process of claiming is smooth and not complicated.

Wah I realised I never updated this. 

Thinking of going Victoria later this year with my friends so revisiting this thread. 

I think they charged me around 4+k aud for everything. Repair plus the cost of the rental. 

I claimed from ntuc insurance with the documents. 

Not sure if trip cover is still around. But it was uneventful. Submitted all the invoices etc. Gave a bank account for wire Transfer IIRC. It was done within 1-2 emails and filling out the form. 

Actually pretty fuss free overall. 

For paying ahead. U must cos hertz will hold the charge against your CC when u return the car. With the subsequent finalised charge which will come weeks later. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

3 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Wah I realised I never updated this. 

Thinking of going Victoria later this year with my friends so revisiting this thread. 

I think they charged me around 4+k aud for everything. Repair plus the cost of the rental. 

I claimed from ntuc insurance with the documents. 

Not sure if trip cover is still around. But it was uneventful. Submitted all the invoices etc. Gave a bank account for wire Transfer IIRC. It was done within 1-2 emails and filling out the form. 

Actually pretty fuss free overall. 

For paying ahead. U must cos hertz will hold the charge against your CC when u return the car. With the subsequent finalised charge which will come weeks later. 

So your excess covered by tripcover and the rest by NTUC in full?

The tripcover website still around.

Edited by TangoCharlie

21 minutes ago, TangoCharlie said:

So your excess covered by tripcover and the rest by NTUC in full?

The tripcover website still around.

Yes iirc, Actually they overpaid me cos of the overlap. 

But there are some fees that hertz charged me (can't remember what). Which u have to self pay and not claimable under ntuc or tripcover.

So end up roughly the same. If u only had one then u would have to pay a couple hundred out of your pocket. So I recommend a combination. 

That's my general impression. 3 years ago Liao, don't remember much. 

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2