Australia: Car Rental in Melbourne

Tjkbeluga

Tripcover never ask for rental company when buying. Meaning can just buy first for the period then choose car rental?

Yes. Only the rental period. Service is good as they reply email very fast.
↡ Advertisement

I notice avis prices gets cheaper 1 to 2 weeks before your travel dates.

Hehe.

It works both ways, i suspect.

Near to the dates, if car rental firms got no takers, sure will slash prices else will be wasted.

But on the other hand, if it's peak period, nearer the dates, high chance already no more cars available... I was in that situation 2 yr ago in Perth. Waited too late to try to book, and the MPV that we needed, got no more among the bigger firms. Had to settle on renting from a small firm that needed ferry service from airport. And it was a smaller vehicle than we wanted too, but also just grabbed already, at least better than nothing... [sweatdrop] 

Near to the dates, if car rental firms got no takers, sure will slash prices else will be wasted.

But on the other hand, if it's peak period, nearer the dates, high chance already no more cars available... I was in that situation 2 yr ago in Perth. Waited too late to try to book, and the MPV that we needed, got no more among the bigger firms. Had to settle on renting from a small firm that needed ferry service from airport. And it was a smaller vehicle than we wanted too, but also just grabbed already, at least better than nothing... [sweatdrop] 

Agreed. Go holiday.

All these things just book early.

Not say u are going totally F&E without kids/parents and just winging the daily schedule.

Agreed. Go holiday.

Not say u are going totally F&E without kids/parents and just winging the daily schedule.

The golden rule is never to drive in the night along the country roads. U lucky it's juz a fox. Most of the time, it's a 7 ft kangaroo. [sweatdrop]

no choice lol its after Philip Island penguin parade. Should have followed those tour buses with huge headlamps outta there.

If you are renting for only 2-3days, save the hassel.

Buy the zero excess from the rental company.

Apex charge aud25 per day.

Tripcover charge differently base on the excess amount.

And to understand those insurance company t and c, it is not a easy task.

Thanks bro.

Because a few bros here mentioned Tripcover so I checked it out.

When buying and even up to making payment, they never ask what rental car and which company you renting from. Only need to know which period.

Agreed. Go holiday.

Yup, learnt my lesson and booked early this time for the NZ trip.

But Hertz also jialat. On website put 'Kia Carnival or equivalent' (Avis for comparison, put Hyundai iMax or equivalent). I wanted to try out the Carnival, so booked Hertz.

Ended up they gave me a Previa on arrival! Made us squeezed like mad and had to sacrifice one 3rd-row seat for the luggage... Only more than half way through our journey, then got a Carnival available for exchange at another city...

Yup, learnt my lesson and booked early this time for the NZ trip.

But Hertz also jialat. On website put 'Kia Carnival or equivalent' (Avis for comparison, put Hyundai iMax or equivalent). I wanted to try out the Carnival, so booked Hertz.

Ended up they gave me a Previa on arrival! Made us squeezed like mad and had to sacrifice one 3rd-row seat for the luggage... Only more than half way through our journey, then got a Carnival available for exchange at another city...

Lol the issues with 三代 traveling

Lol the issues with 三代 traveling

yah man...

when kids were younger, then have to take care of them. I remember maybe 10 yr ago went HK ocean park, when kids were like 3 and 5. After a whole day, when it was closing, both of them were dead tired and fell asleep, so wife and i carried one each, and waited for the bus. There was only one bus, with the queue of about 200-300 m long... Good thing they knew the pattern of closing times, so there were quite a few double-deckers there/arriving in short intervals.

Lucky that time my parents were younger (70s) and still could help here and there.

now the problem is need to take care of my parents, and also with the kids now taller than my wife, we need space, esp if we renting car. Good thing is they can now help carry the luggages as i have back pain [laugh]

The Previa is marginally smaller than Carnival, but has a spare tyre in the boot, significantly reducing luggage space. Don't understand how can it be suitable for 8 pax travelling, as there will definitely be lots of luggages... Even for 6 of us, already not enough luggage space...

• Praise 1

Thanks bro.

Because a few bros here mentioned Tripcover so I checked it out.

When buying and even up to making payment, they never ask what rental car and which company you renting from. Only need to know which period.

so is this 3rd party cover the way to go?

(edited)

Some travel insurances do cover car rental excess, that could be an option as well.

Edited by Tommisan

it's waay cheaper ! Plus it's underwritten by Allianz, not some kangaroo firm

Some travel insurances do cover car rental excess, that could be an option as well.

The OZ big boys' excess is about 4k. No travel insurance out there cover that much

it's waay cheaper ! Plus it's underwritten by Allianz, not some kangaroo firm

The OZ big boys' excess is about 4k. No travel insurance out there cover that much

thanks.

the last round i went aussie in 2014, i didn't take any excess cover. But this time going to get the excess cover.

Hypersonic

Yes trip rental is simple to apply and it’s cheaper.

Yes trip rental is simple to apply and it’s cheaper.

did u all get the 0 excess, or 300 dollar excess.

Haha my thinking is that $300 is so little, the rental company will surely charge u more than $300 for the damages ? lol

(edited)

If i take DBS travellershield mid tier plan, means the rental vehicle excess $1000 means anything above 1k, i have to foot myself right?

Cos the highest tier plan is $1500.

Whereas as the tripcover or car rental company excess is that $300 and below i need to pay, but above $300 no need.

Both are called the same, but opposite meaning?

Edited by Lala81

If i take DBS travellershield mid tier plan, means the rental vehicle excess $1000 means anything above 1k, i have to foot myself right?

Cos the highest tier plan is $1500.

Whereas as the tripcover or car rental company excess is that $300 and below i need to pay, but above $300 no need.

Both are called the same, but opposite meaning?

When you rent car, rental company will ask you to buy insurance cover.

This cover will have a 1k or 1.5k excess, i.e. if damage is 2k, insurer will pay 500 and you have to pay 1.5k.

If you buy travel insurance will rental car excess of 1k, you can claim 1k out 1.5k you forked out.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1