Australia: Car Rental in Melbourne

Tjkbeluga

Melbourne is one of my shortlisted destination for the year end holiday... anyone can advise if a trip from Melbourne to Phillip Island required an overnight stay in order to catch the fairy penguin which is in the evening? A 7-8 days trip to include both Phillip Island & GOR will it be too rush?

TIA [:)]

Would strongly recommend to stay overnight. Cos driving back to Melbourne is at least 2 hrs at night. U probably won't have had a proper dinner also if u been at the penguin parade.

I would stay one night then drive out the next day. Which is what I'm doing anyway.

I have 8 days on the ground and it's more than enough to do both Philip Island and the GOR until port Campbell region. But depends on whether u want to spend any time in Melbourne City itself.

Driving from Philip Island to the start of GOR at Torquay takes about 3 hours+.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

(edited)

How many days did you spend for this loop? Is is too rushed or okay? Thanks. May travel there mid December.

The trip to GOR last December was only 6 nites as just been there the year before. I spent one night in Apollo Bay after reaching Melbourne airport at 620am, then spent 2 nights in Grampians NP followed by a night in Ballarat, then the last 2 nights just beside Victoria Market. If you are there for the first time, definitely should cater more days, especially along the GOR portion. 

To make the trip memorable, really must spend some time to find out the interesting stops along the way, eg where and how to spot koala bears (Kennett River and access road to Otway Lighthouse), where are the best fish & chips (Fishos at Bell Beach, Apollo Bay Fishermen's Co-op for lobster too), scenic trekking spot like waterfalls). GOR consist of not only scenic ocean views but also many nice spots to stop by. But as there are too many places to go, so must learn to let go of  some and do it on another trip. Do not be greedy and want to achieve so much on any day that you will be stressed out trying to cover them. Try to use Google map to plan the travelling time between places, very useful and accurate.

And if possible, try to return rental car when reach Melbourne if spending a few nights there. Choose a lodging that is within the free tram zone to save some hassle. I hate driving in Melbourne downtown as always jam and very difficult to find parking lots and have to deal with the hook turn, anyway most of the interesting places are accessible by the free tram. Just book a taxi through the hotel on the day of departure or take the express bus to airport to save abit. Stay near the designated stops if you intend to take the later option.

Lastly, the sunset hour in Melbourne in December is about 830pm to 9pm! So you really have a lot of time to move around.

Anyway happy planning.

post-101253-0-78088800-1560950333_thumb.jpg

Edited by Heartlander
  • Praise 6

For rental cars if you selecting a corolla size hatch.

Better to go with Hyundai i30 1.4T.

Quite enjoyable and refine.

• Praise 1

The trip to GOR last December was only 6 nites as just been there the year before. I spent one night in Apollo Bay after reaching Melbourne airport at 620am, then spent 2 nights in Grampians NP followed by a night in Ballarat, then the last 2 nights just beside Victoria Market.

If you are there for the first time,

definitely should cater more days, especially along the GOR portion.

To make the trip memorable, really must spend some time to find out the interesting stops along the way, eg where and how to spot koala bears (Kennett River and access road to Otway Lighthouse), where are the best fish & chips (Fishos at Bell Beach, Apollo Bay Fishermen's Co-op for lobster too), scenic trekking spot like waterfalls). GOR consist of not only scenic ocean views but also many nice spots to stop by. But as there are too many places to go, so must learn to let go of some and do it on another trip. Do not be greedy and want to achieve so much on any day that you will be stressed out trying to cover them. Try to use Google map to plan the travelling time between places, very useful and accurate.

And if possible, try to return rental car when reach Melbourne if spending a few nights there. Choose a lodging that is within the free tram zone to save some hassle. I hate driving in Melbourne downtown as always jam and very difficult to find parking lots and have to deal with the hook turn, anyway most of the interesting places are accessible by the free tram. Just book a taxi through the hotel on the day of departure or take the express bus to airport to save abit. Stay near the designated stops if you intend to take the later option.

Lastly, the sunset hour in Melbourne in December is about 830pm to 9pm! So you really have a lot of time to move around.

Anyway happy planning.

Many thanks for the info and recommendation. This trip likely 三代同堂, so will be slow and steady. Will research and focus on a few spots. Cheers
  • Praise 2

Personally, I will go for GOR over Philip island if time is a constraint. The super scenic drive along coastal roads with many gorgeous scenic stops plus a nice stay over at the cosy chalets (with bbq of course!) is a perfect getaway for the family. Sharing a few shots taken back then.

post-14331-0-18325100-1560945436_thumb.jpeg

post-14331-0-16154000-1560945495_thumb.jpeg

post-14331-0-27333900-1560945584_thumb.jpeg

post-14331-0-20577700-1560951390_thumb.jpeg

• Praise 7

The hwz one been around for many years. And seems a lot cheaper. This one is what 59 aud per pax or application.

wun go wrong with kangaroo kang lah. MCF member still got 2 visas free. HAHA 

• Praise 1

Would strongly recommend to stay overnight. Cos driving back to Melbourne is at least 2 hrs at night. U probably won't have had a proper dinner also if u been at the penguin parade.

I would stay one night then drive out the next day. Which is what I'm doing anyway.

I have 8 days on the ground and it's more than enough to do both Philip Island and the GOR until port Campbell region. But depends on whether u want to spend any time in Melbourne City itself.

Thanks for the pointers!

Yeah, where possible I normally avoid night driving while in overseas. The only time I think i drove was from Brisbane airport to Gold Coast after flight landed around 6+pm.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

No plans to go Yarra Valley? Nice place to relax too.

Got wineries, chocolaterie & ice creamery and dairy.

Many thanks for the info and recommendation. This trip likely 三代同堂, so will be slow and steady. Will research and focus on a few spots. Cheers

3G huh? Do you do that often, or first time?

i travel 3G most of the time. Did 3 trips to Gold Coast, Perth, NZ on self-drive, and once in Taiwan with a chauffaur driving us around. I would strongly recommend you get a bigger people-mover they call it, for the comfort of the family if you have 6 or more travelling.

• Praise 1

Thanks for the pointers!

Yeah, where possible I normally avoid night driving while in overseas. The only time I think i drove was from Brisbane airport to Gold Coast after flight landed around 6+pm.

Good choice. i made the mistake of leaving all the planning to my wife all the time.

For one trip (to Perth), we landed around 2 pm, went to collect car around 4 pm (it was off the airport, so waited for them to come and pick us up), and started driving off around 5.30 pm - which was right smacked in their peak hours where people got off work!

And guess what, our first destination was a good ~250 km away. It was summer but it still got pitch dark by around 7.45-8.00 pm.

So i was tired after a long flight, in a foreign land and not familiar with the road, had kids and elderly parents (so needed toilet breaks), starting to get hungry, and their roads only have reflectors and no street lights! [sweatdrop] [sweatdrop] [sweatdrop]

Highly not recommended...

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Melbourne is one of my shortlisted destination for the year end holiday... anyone can advise if a trip from Melbourne to Phillip Island required an overnight stay in order to catch the fairy penguin which is in the evening? A 7-8 days trip to include both Phillip Island & GOR will it be too rush?

TIA  [:)]

My suggestion is stay over at PI, since year end the penguins only come back around 8+pm, by the time you're done almost 10. 

If you wanna head to GOR after that, you can explore Mornington Peninsular then take the ferry across to Queenscliff from Sorrento, saves you driving around the bay to get to the west.

Very close to 4hrs, unless you really like driving on freeways, hardly anybody would do that in a day..

PI can spend 1 day visiting Churchill island/koala conservation center/nobbies, then night go for penguin parade.. next day can follow my suggestion above

• Praise 2

No plans to go Yarra Valley? Nice place to relax too.

Got wineries, chocolaterie & ice creamery and dairy.

My friends recommended. Yerring gorge but I will give it a miss this visit.

My suggestion is stay over at PI, since year end the penguins only come back around 8+pm, by the time you're done almost 10.

If you wanna head to GOR after that, you can explore Mornington Peninsular then take the ferry across to Queenscliff from Sorrento, saves you driving around the bay to get to the west.

Very close to 4hrs, unless you really like driving on freeways, hardly anybody would do that in a day..

PI can spend 1 day visiting Churchill island/koala conservation center/nobbies, then night go for penguin parade.. next day can follow my suggestion above

Actually I originally wanted to do this. Philip to GOR. But I changed my flight timings to have the weekend in the middle of the trip instead of at the end, not doing the ferry crossing.

Btw if u do the ferry, if will likely take longer than driving around. Ferry takes 40 mins. The drive to sorrento and from Queens cliff to Torquay will take up more time then just directly going up to Melbourne and down back to Torquay.

Turbocharged

Actually I originally wanted to do this. Philip to GOR. But I changed my flight timings to have the weekend in the middle of the trip instead of at the end, not doing the ferry crossing.

Btw if u do the ferry, if will likely take longer than driving around. Ferry takes 40 mins. The drive to sorrento and from Queens cliff to Torquay will take up more time then just directly going up to Melbourne and down back to Torquay.

Agree that it'll take more time, but you'll be exploring the Mornington area as well.. and saves a lot of driving.

Also Mornington is quite similar to Yarra with vineyards/markets etc with pretty nice views from Arthur Seat etc

Just a possible suggestion for others..

(edited)

Agree that it'll take more time, but you'll be exploring the Mornington area as well.. and saves a lot of driving.

Also Mornington is quite similar to Yarra with vineyards/markets etc with pretty nice views from Arthur Seat etc

Just a possible suggestion for others..

yes. I do want to take the ferry the next time.

Already thinking of driving down there, then crossing over, heading to grampian etc.

Haha you are local head snake, my advice is for the others who are doing planning.

Edited by Lala81

(edited)

Anyway for those going Philip Island with pre-schoolers,

The Koala conservation center is more suitable for adults and older children based on some reviews i read. Cos it's not easy to spot them at times. The younger kids will get bored easily.

For something more similar to what u can do in Perth.

This is just outside Philip island on the drive there.

Maru Koala and Animal Park

• Open 930am. Family ticket $60

• Koala Entry and Talk at 10,11, 12, 1, 2 , 3pm. Sheep Shearing at 230pm

You may easily miss this attraction cos it's not within PI (hence so when u google u won't see it) and also everyone just think of the Koala reserve.

You also won't see this mentioned commonly.

Edited by Lala81

3G huh? Do you do that often, or first time?

i travel 3G most of the time. Did 3 trips to Gold Coast, Perth, NZ on self-drive, and once in Taiwan with a chauffaur driving us around. I would strongly recommend you get a bigger people-mover they call it, for the comfort of the family if you have 6 or more travelling.

The usual 3G hols were the resorts or cruises. Road trip of this size (potentially up to 15 pax) is a record itself should it materialise.

A 2 MPV convoy should be easier than a 4 car convoy, I guess. Hiring a bus with driver is another option but should be more expensive.

Right now those working trying to block their leave to pin down a common date.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1