Day 2 - drive to GOR, stay at Apollo Bay

Day 3 - GOR, stay overnight at Geelong

Day 4 - Fairy Park then go to Melbourne

Day 5-6 melbourne

Day 7 - phillip island

Day 8 - return to melbourne

Day 9 - melbourne F&E

Day 10 - return to SG

Yours slightly different...covering wornambool on which day?

I would suggest you to include Grampians as it offers something very contrast from the sea views along GOR. The place is mountainous, very ulu and tranquil, with reasonable walking paths that are accessible by cars. For me, from Apollo Bay to Warrnambol is only about 2.5hrs, will pass by Twelve Apostles, no need to spend a night there.

Day 1: Melbourne – Phillip Island (1 night)

Day 2 -3: Phillip Island – Mornington Peninsula (2 nights)

Day 4-5: Mornington Penisula - Apollo Bay (2 nights)

Day 6: Apollo Bay – Twelve Apostles – Warrnambool

– Farmstay

(1 night)

Day 7: Grampians National Park (2 night)

Day 8-10: Farmstay – Melbourne (2 nights)

The grampians looks like too big to cover over 2 days....stopover at ararat? Where did you cover over 2 days? Tempting though...will look into it. Thanks

post-210087-0-21915100-1563186593_thumb.png

Edited by TangoCharlie
↡ Advertisement

The grampians looks like too big to cover over 2 days....stopover at ararat? Where did you cover over 2 days? Tempting though...will look into it. Thanks

I'm turning back at port campbell to drive back to Geelong after 12 apostles and the various sites at port campbell area.

Cos i want to go Fairy Park at Anakie for my kids. 

Anyway after port campbell area, the GOR doesn't really interest me anymore.

• Praise 1

The Grampians National Park is huge but most of the walks/lookout points are not 30min drive from the main town - Halls Gap. Just need to cover 3 to 4 depending on your fitness level, or lack of, each taking 5min to 2hrs to-and-fro from entry points. As the park is a 2hr drive from Warrnambool, if you leave the place early like 8am and reach there by 10am, you can spend the afternoon going through the places, spend the night there, and continue your journey thereafter.

If you stay at The Grampian Motel, you can tabao bbq things from any supermarket along the way and do a cookout under the stars as the place has a few gas-powered bbq pits onsite. The motel is few minutes drive from the town centre which is quite basic boasting only a small supermarket, petrol kiosks, and a few restaurants. Better check their closing hours if you intend to eat there or buy things from the supermarket.

I stayed over there for 2 nights and surprisingly enjoyed the place the most even though it has the least to offer in terms of facility. The ulu feeling with the cold weather really allow excellent time for interaction. If not for the hotel wifi, basically no cellular reception within the place. That is how ulu it is haha.

And I think most stay 1 night there, as seen by the cars and coaches that brought in people in evening, and most would leave by the next morning.

The Grampians National Park is huge but most of the walks/lookout points are not 30min drive from the main town - Halls Gap. Just need to cover 3 to 4 depending on your fitness level, or lack of, each taking 5min to 2hrs to-and-fro from entry points. As the park is a 2hr drive from Warrnambool, if you leave the place early like 8am and reach there by 10am, you can spend the afternoon going through the places, spend the night there, and continue your journey thereafter.

If you stay at The Grampian Motel, you can tabao bbq things from any supermarket along the way and do a cookout under the stars as the place has a few gas-powered bbq pits onsite. The motel is few minutes drive from the town centre which is quite basic boasting only a small supermarket, petrol kiosks, and a few restaurants. Better check their closing hours if you intend to eat there or buy things from the supermarket.

I stayed over there for 2 nights and surprisingly enjoyed the place the most even though it has the least to offer in terms of facility. The ulu feeling with the cold weather really allow excellent time for interaction. If not for the hotel wifi, basically no cellular reception within the place. That is how ulu it is haha.

And I think most stay 1 night there, as seen by the cars and coaches that brought in people in evening, and most would leave by the next morning.

A few pictures of the Grampian National Park.

The Grampian Motel. Cheap and good.

post-101253-0-09142100-1563199108_thumb.jpg

post-101253-0-76437400-1563199116_thumb.jpg

The BBQ shack:

post-101253-0-48454100-1563199124_thumb.jpg

View from the Boroka Lookout:

post-101253-0-69820600-1563199137_thumb.jpg

My favourite spot - MacKenzie Falls. Need to walk for 30min to an hr one way.

post-101253-0-25269600-1563199149_thumb.jpg

post-101253-0-63784300-1563199155_thumb.jpg

post-101253-0-34869600-1563199161_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

(edited)

A few pictures of the Grampian National Park.

The Grampian Motel. Cheap and good.

20181129_094722-1024x576.jpg

20181129_094702-1024x576.jpg

The BBQ shack:

20181129_094650-1024x576.jpg

View from the Boroka Lookout:

20181128_113003-1024x576.jpg

My favourite spot - MacKenzie Falls. Need to walk for 30min to an hr one way.

20181128_125704-1024x576.jpg

20181128_130900-1024x576.jpg

20181128_132019-1024x576.jpg

Really bo Lang...whole family can relax, sip grampian wines and BBQ. Edited by TangoCharlie

Turbocharged

Ok 16 pax with flights booked for a road trip in Melbourne.  below is a prelim itintenary. Stretched a 7 day road trip found online to 10. Are there alternative stops (overnight ones) along GOR since we are travelling a a large group (ages below 10 to 70s)?  Aim for no rush and comfort. Current plan is to hire 4 x 7 seater MPVs or 4 combi for better handling?

Any thots? Many thanks!

Staying at airport hotel after touch down on day 0.

Day 6: Apollo Bay – Twelve Apostles – Warrnambool (1 night)

Day 7: Warrnambool – Farmstay (1 night)

Day 8-10: Farmstay – Melbourne (3 nights)

I prefer to stay in Port Campbell as it's nearer to 12 Apos, so next early morning you can head back there for pictures with hardly anyone in sight..

Another thing you need to consider is, with 16 pax, you'll definitely have difficulty getting seats in any cafe/restaurants..

Ok 16 pax with flights booked for a road trip in Melbourne.  below is a prelim itintenary. Stretched a 7 day road trip found online to 10. Are there alternative stops (overnight ones) along GOR since we are travelling a a large group (ages below 10 to 70s)?  Aim for no rush and comfort. Current plan is to hire 4 x 7 seater MPVs or 4 combi for better handling?

Any thots? Many thanks!

Staying at airport hotel after touch down on day 0.

Day 6: Apollo Bay – Twelve Apostles – Warrnambool (1 night)

Day 7: Warrnambool – Farmstay (1 night)

Day 8-10: Farmstay – Melbourne (3 nights)

Wow, that's a big group. Hope you'll all enjoy the trip together.

16 of you travelling in 4 7-seater MPVs is very comfortable and spacious. If you want to save some costs, you can even make do with 3 7-seater MPVs, esp if you choose the larger ones. The Hyundai iMax is the largest MPV at affordable price, but I'm not sure if they come with cruise control now. Next would be Kia Carnival, followed by Toyota Previa. If you prefer SUV, there's 7-seater Toyota Kluger, but there is no luggage space if you use all 3 rows of seats.

If the dynamic is that 4 cars work better, you can even choose 4 larger sedans, where 3 of the sedans carry 4 each, while the last one carry 5.

Since you need 3-4 vehicles all at the same time/duration, you'll better book early, or you might run the risk of not getting all your desired cars from the same rental company, and have to rent from different firms.

• Praise 1

I prefer to stay in Port Campbell as it's nearer to 12 Apos, so next early morning you can head back there for pictures with hardly anyone in sight..

Another thing you need to consider is, with 16 pax, you'll definitely have difficulty getting seats in any cafe/restaurants..

Good suggestion on port Campbell.

Thanks for vehicle suggestion. Will discuss with drivers. We have 7 with licence but only 4 who drive regularly. Intend to book early to avoid disappointment.

If you intend to travel in a group all the time, and have <10 and >70, then i think will need to stop every 2 hr at the max, for breaks, if not shorter. If the other drivers can rotate, that'll be great, but if they are not confident, then it's still manageable for the 4 regulars, given the frequent breaks. But take heed, different people have different tolerance for tiredness. From my own experience, after lunch, there is a period that is quite unbearably sleepy, and i was very fortunate that i managed to come through those periods safely with my family... [sweatdrop]

After our first trip, i told my wife that i need to take a short 15-min power nap first, whenever we needed to be on the road after lunch... Alternatively, chewing gum can help too.

There are news of Singaporeans getting into accidents on self-drive holidays. I suspect most if not all, are due to fatigue. It is real...

Lastly, all those who intend to drive, better bring license. My wife offered to help drive... but ended up never bring her license  [bigcry] 

Haha I did consider this. But getting up the kids early is a bitch. Unlikely to happen haha

Wow, that's a big group. Hope you'll all enjoy the trip together.

16 of you travelling in 4 7-seater MPVs is very comfortable and spacious. If you want to save some costs, you can even make do with 3 7-seater MPVs, esp if you choose the larger ones. The Hyundai iMax is the largest MPV at affordable price, but I'm not sure if they come with cruise control now. Next would be Kia Carnival, followed by Toyota Previa. If you prefer SUV, there's 7-seater Toyota Kluger, but there is no luggage space if you use all 3 rows of seats.

If the dynamic is that 4 cars work better, you can even choose 4 larger sedans, where 3 of the sedans carry 4 each, while the last one carry 5.

Since you need 3-4 vehicles all at the same time/duration, you'll better book early, or you might run the risk of not getting all your desired cars from the same rental company, and have to rent from different firms.

My personal experience is that iMax very CMI for carrying many people. The car really no power, even struggling to go up slopes that are a bit steep. Carnival is a better choice and it is really powerful.

An option would be to book a iMax for carrying most of the barang barang and 4 people upfront, then book 2 of Carnival to carry  to 6 passengers each. It is very comfy to seat 6 people in a Carnival under 2+2+2 configuration, still with space to put some smaller luggages behind and infront. The boot space for a Canival is similar to a Estima, sunken in type that can swallow the 3rd row. For me, better to have lesser cars if can serve the purpose to reduce the number of active drivers at any time for rotation, also to save a bit of money haha.

There's also a 12 seater mini bus which you can rent and drive with your class3, only issue it's not as maneuverable and parking maybe an issue

Mini bus handling too different....doubt any of us is confident to drive.

Please visit this place when in Apollo Bay or its vicinity:

https://goo.gl/maps/Wufz5soryo9A6V7s9

Always enjoyed eating alfresco feeling the cold outside and watching the harbour and seagulls. Very therapeutic. The fish-and-chips very fresh and big serving, also to order lobster and ask the Asian workers to grill with butter. A bit ex though.

• Praise 1

If you intend to travel in a group all the time, and have <10 and >70, then i think will need to stop every 2 hr at the max, for breaks, if not shorter. If the other drivers can rotate, that'll be great, but if they are not confident, then it's still manageable for the 4 regulars, given the frequent breaks. But take heed, different people have different tolerance for tiredness. From my own experience, after lunch, there is a period that is quite unbearably sleepy, and i was very fortunate that i managed to come through those periods safely with my family... [sweatdrop]

After our first trip, i told my wife that i need to take a short 15-min power nap first, whenever we needed to be on the road after lunch... Alternatively, chewing gum can help too.

There are news of Singaporeans getting into accidents on self-drive holidays. I suspect most if not all, are due to fatigue. It is real...

Lastly, all those who intend to drive, better bring license. My wife offered to help drive... but ended up never bring her license [bigcry]

Yes, intend to go slow and have frequent breaks.

Please visit this place when in Apollo Bay or its vicinity:

https://goo.gl/maps/Wufz5soryo9A6V7s9

Always enjoyed eating alfresco feeling the cold outside and watching the harbour and seagulls.

Very therapeutic.

The fish-and-chips very fresh and big serving, also to order lobster and ask the Asian workers to grill with butter. A bit ex though.
Thanks. Saved the location.
↡ Advertisement