Starter motor faulty

Anshng

Today my car suddenly doesn't start and the diagnosis is starter motor faulty. Anyone know what is this and what is the repair cost? thanks

↡ Advertisement

Today my car suddenly doesn't start and the diagnosis is starter motor faulty. Anyone know what is this and what is the repair cost? thanks

You can buy a re-cond one from scrapyards, then bring to your workshop to fix.. Pay only for labour.. Total cost is cheaper this way..

• Praise 1

Twincharged

... tapping onto this search result ...

a few months back my car could not start and I called my friend who advised me to push the key harder into the keyhole and the car started.

since two days ago, it has been taking me more pushes to get the car cranked up. I put in the key and turn and I get a "terk" sound ... and again and again and then after a few tries, then can crank up.

battery is 2 months old and alternator was tested ok at the shop during the battery change.

anyone got this problem ? could it be the keyhole or starter motor got problem ? the previous owner had installed an illuminated keyhole ring on the keyhole so I an suspecting a loose connection or a keyhole issue.

a few months back my car could not start and I called my friend who advised me to push the key harder into the keyhole and the car started.

since two days ago, it has been taking me more pushes to get the car cranked up. I put in the key and turn and I get a "terk" sound ... and again and again and then after a few tries, then can crank up.

battery is 2 months old and alternator was tested ok at the shop during the battery change.

anyone got this problem ? could it be the keyhole or starter motor got problem ? the previous owner had installed an illuminated keyhole ring on the keyhole so I an suspecting a loose connection or a keyhole issue.

You need to find an auto electrician to check if it's the key ring or starter motor to confirm. Either case, the auto electrician will have the skill to rewire the key ring or replace the starter as that is his main job.

Supersonic

You need to find a ws to check for you.

Whether there's a electrical fault, poor contacts to the starter motor.

Starter motor itself will be tested with a remote starter switch.

Twincharged

was only hoping to get some tips here ... as I do not have regular w/s ... and my experience with some w/s not so good ... ask me to change this and that ... but problem still persisted.

was only hoping to get some tips here ... as I do not have regular w/s ... and my experience with some w/s not so good ... ask me to change this and that ... but problem still persisted.

They are by name call mechanics but basically they are BS kings and they do "fishing" hopefully by chance they hit the problem source. If they fail , the bill is still for the customers account. Great business with no responsibilities,

• Praise 1

Supersonic

If you get one loud "terk" sound when you try to crank...it could be a starter motor problem.

If it's tiak tiak sound and cranking is intermittent, meaning sometimes can sometimes cannot, high chance it's starting motor dying off.

If you are daring enough, use a screwdriver to short the legs, you'll see fireworks and car can start easily. (Make sure surrounding is safe).

• Praise 1

Twincharged

If you get one loud "terk" sound when you try to crank...it could be a starter motor problem.

its like I turn once "tiak" once, turn another time, "tiak" another time.

after turning a few times and pushing the key left, right and center, then the car will crank.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

its like I turn once "tiak" once, turn another time, "tiak" another time.

after turning a few times and pushing the key left, right and center, then the car will crank.

Then it's quite likely starter motor problem.

Your turning key and pushing left/right/centre is probably incidental.

Twincharged

went to a workshop behind tampines safra ... mech say starter motor spoil .... have to change. quoted me $4xx for new one and $290 for recon one.

took the recon one ... 1 hour plus job... but managed to pull some strings and final bill was $230.

Neutral Newbie

Is it confirm a faulty starter or a dead battery, cause the symptoms are rather similar... the starter cannot get the engine going if there is no power from the battery. To determine if the problem is the battery or starter you can try testing the head lights, or radio, or horn. If they do not work, then it is might be a dead battery.

If not then the problem most likely will be there starter. You might need to replace your starter if your Car cannot start or can only start once in awhile. Also if there is a terk sound like many other here say, and your engine still does not start you might really need to replace..

Don't lose faith in workshops leh.. there are alot of very reliable workshop waiting for you to find them nia..

just changed mine was about $230 for it and another $30 for labour.

opel combo.

recently i also have problems to start. i jus change spark plug n battery but on n off it happen. any good shop to recomend to check if need to change the starter?

recently i also have problems to start. i jus change spark plug n battery but on n off it happen. any good shop to recomend to check if need to change the starter?

could be starter. urs is petrol version?

you may head to trans hua to buy the starter motor and head to ah sam (synergy) 96583371 to pay for labor. around 30 bucks.

will not take more than 30 mins for the change since they jack it up.

Maybe you can give Lion City Electric a call at 6270 2713 (Ms Yeo). They repair my starter motor instead of changing one for $180, but that was 3 years ago....

↡ Advertisement