Should Toyota bring back the 20 Valve 4A-GE?

Ezfaun

4AGE 20V  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should they bring it back?

• Yes
    • No

This may be a redundant question, but what would your opinion be on this matter?

A 2.4L camry makes about 160hp. Quite a poor figure as opposed to Honda's average 160hp 2.0L K20A3/K20Z2 engines that we see on BnB Accords and Civics.

A 1.6L 20V Blacktop/Silvertop 4AGE could easily make 160-170hp right out of the box with lots of room to spare. It also weighs considerably less than most engines today.

If they updated their Blacktop/Silvertop engine to 2.0L in displacement, the engine could push out about 260+hp if they use better intake/exhaust ports and newer VVTi.

That would be close to Evo territory and keep in mind, all of this while still being NA. If fitted onto their upcoming upcoming Supra (FT-HS) with a small turbo, then nb

can reach 400hp minimum liao [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement

This may be a redundant question, but what would your opinion be on this matter?

A 2.4L camry makes about 160hp. Quite a poor figure as opposed to Honda's average 160hp 2.0L K20A3/K20Z2 engines that we see on BnB Accords and Civics.

A 1.6L 20V Blacktop/Silvertop 4AGE could easily make 160-170hp right out of the box with lots of room to spare. It also weighs considerably less than most engines today.

If they updated their Blacktop/Silvertop engine to 2.0L in displacement, the engine could push out about 260+hp if they use better intake/exhaust ports and newer VVTi.

That would be close to Evo territory and keep in mind, all of this while still being NA. If fitted onto their upcoming upcoming Supra (FT-HS) with a small turbo, then nb

my opinion is that i hope Honda revives the B16 and B18 more than the 4A-GE.

my opinion is that i hope Honda revives the B16 and B18 more than the 4A-GE.

honda replaced the b series with the k series and air trek turbo is not 20 valves. just 2.0l but dono why the v is there to mis lead. mitsubishi nv produced 20v engines for production if i remembered correctly.

honda replaced the b series with the k series and air trek turbo is not 20 valves. just 2.0l but dono why the v is there to mis lead. mitsubishi nv produced 20v engines for production if i remembered correctly.

K series not as good as the legendary B series.

anyway,iam not talking about the Airtrek turbo.

just the normal Airtrek as i see a 20V behind so i thought it was 20Valves.

if it is not,then it really is misleading.

The turbo one does not has 20V logo and i know it is not 20 valves as its using the same engine as Evos.

4A-GE does not have the DVVTI module and does not comply to modern air pollution standards. After you have implemented both then we see how many horses left.

Also nowadays, motorists favour under square engines for better torque on tap. The 4A-GE is an example of an over square one.

Lastly, the Japanese are fervent practitioners of product differentiation I.e. you get what you pay. In this case, how much are you willing to pay for an engine design that caters for performance over economy in the first place. The porting angle for one is quite aggressive. Prepare to pay a lot more.

Yes, pls tell Toyota about it.

Toyota is not interested in making normal BNB cars powderful. What they want is to make money. Making their BNB cars powderful does not make them number 1 or reach their KPI. And that is why so many automotive companies with affordable powderful range which many claimed more HP means better in their stable cannot even come close to become one of the number 1 seller. -_-

Toyota should just adopt a dual approach to the engines offered in their lineup. Forced induction and hybrid engines concurrently, perhaps they can start with Lexus first.

Insider sources indicate that they are working on a 2.0L entry-level turbo to be used in the IS and entry-level GS in 2015. A bit too late compared to the German 3, but still better late than never.

4A-GE does not have the DVVTI module and does not comply to modern air pollution standards. After you have implemented both then we see how many horses left.

Also nowadays, motorists favour under square engines for better torque on tap. The 4A-GE is an example of an over square one.

Lastly, the Japanese are fervent practitioners of product differentiation I.e. you get what you pay. In this case, how much are you willing to pay for an engine design that caters for performance over economy in the first place. The porting angle for one is quite aggressive. Prepare to pay a lot more.

Actually the 20 valve version does come with vvti. The one that doesn't come with vvti was the 16 valve 110hp version. The 20 valve ones fitted into cars like the Toyota corolla BZR had vvti. One difference is that silvertop uses maf sensor while blacktop us map sensor with intake air temperature sensor. Blacktop makes about 5hp more.

The fuel consumption which my younger cousin told me was about 11-13kml in canberra, aus in his slightly modified MR2 that makes 180hp.

If a 1.6 with 160+hp can make 11-13kml, then it would fair even better if the power was downrated by downgrading the camshaft to a less agressive one.

Only prob is the exhaust emissions which are prominent in all old engines as the emission control systems back in the day aren't up to par to today's standards.

My point is for the asian car market to bring back sporty mid size saloons and coupes that could compete with CTR and base WRX. And no Forte Koup not counted [laugh]

nah.. They should bring back 4A-GZE and 3S-GTE.

Used to put one in my AE101. After a few months, sell it away and replace it with 4A-GZE.

4A-GE 20v is overrated and not very suitable for Singapore traffic condition. Low-end torque sucks. Power only comes at mid-high speed. It can never catch up with B16A or 4G92 (Mivec).

You want compare to B16 damn hard liao. I dun think there's any 1.6 better than B16. Put Hondata ecu and camshaft can get 220 average haha. Ok lah bring back B series I wun mind also ^_^

(edited)

Used to put one in my AE101. After a few months, sell it away and replace it with 4A-GZE.

4A-GE 20v is overrated and not very suitable for Singapore traffic condition. Low-end torque sucks. Power only comes at mid-high speed. It can never catch up with B16A or 4G92 (Mivec).

lol currently driving ae101 so tempting to change to blacktop or 4 agze or best 3sge, but right now inspection so tight i think engine swap a bit out of question.... zzzz

Edited by Ivanpaseo

4A-GZE. [inlove]

Ya I also feel the era of high revving engines that makes.most of their max torque late in the power band is pretty much over as far as daily drivers are concerned. not very practical to be honest.

↡ Advertisement