Football is just not in Chinese's DNA

Scion

Turbocharged

we have many Europeans (Van Basten, Baggio, Zidane, C Ronaldo, etc), South Americans (Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka, etc), one African (George Weah) who were the previous World Player of the Year/Ballon d'Or

hopefully, can see a Asian win the World Player of the Year/Ballon d'Or award in future

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

i have to disagree whenever i read reports like these of the meritocratic old days (early 80s I think)

post-9528-0-34543000-1523944098_thumb.jpg

neighbourhood schools, elite schools, ite's predecessor vitb all in the mix regardless of race religion etc

Edited by Karoon

Neutral Newbie

If football in Asia pays good money, I'm sure they will be good players. Plus you and your family cannot eat the ball for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Looking at Europe and Asia, Asia football do not generate that kind of money Europe does. Ppl actually make more money being a bookie fixing matches. It's also becoming a problem. Even a Sgporean w/o football talent can fix matches until the interpol is after him.

Asians are too smart for football. Being a football player in Asia is not going to pay well and they know that. It's much more lucrative being a bookie plus they dun have to chase after a ball until hair hair chuan.

Agree with you totally...

it's not a coincidence that the chinese are good at individual sports ( e.g swimming, ping pong, athletics etc) but crap at the major team sports ( soccer, basketball) despite their popularity in china.

I think this thread title is misleading. It's not because of DNA or what sheet blood elements that Chinese are not good in football.

you all forgot how China train sportsmen in any kind of sports. they train them since 4 years old. And they will drill and drill every single day until they are so good at it.

It is not Chinese doesnt have DNA for football. It's because the chinese garment has not focus on football sports YET.....

As you all know, anything that Chinese ppl want to do, they will do it very well and successfully.

So far, China has produced alot of sportsmen for many sports now, sports that were never from China (example snooker, tennis, syn diving, swimming, golf, even sailing) These are sports that China were never involved in the past, but today you see who are the top spots in these sports. And China can participate in Olympics competition in these said sports.

They have 1 billion ppl. With this kind of mass number, China can easily dominate in every kind of sport you can imagine. It's just a matter of time and where the focus is at. Once they decide, they will pick the young ones and start drilling every day.

we have many Europeans (Van Basten, Baggio, Zidane, C Ronaldo, etc), South Americans (Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka, etc), one African (George Weah) who were the previous World Player of the Year/Ballon d'Or

hopefully, can see a Asian win the World Player of the Year/Ballon d'Or award in future

i think the closest an asian has come to international stardom is Nakata. think he was nominated for the Ballon Dor few times before

I don't believe Asians not good in football. Japan also v small size but they are in almost every World Cup as far as I can remember.

We cannot say Japan DNA are different from other Asians?

And don't forget Japan are also in almost every Olympics games.

So it's not abt the physical size. Its the drive and mentality that matters.

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

I don't believe Asians not good in football. Japan also v small size but they are in almost every World Cup as far as I can remember.

We cannot say Japan DNA are different from other Asians?

And don't forget Japan are also in almost every Olympics games.

So it's not abt the physical size. Its the drive and mentality that matters.

Totally agree with you.

Turbocharged

i just saw there's a tahith chong in the man utd team travelling for the US friendlies.

Great, hope for us east asians.

Then found out he's not even remotely chinese.

:D

Turbocharged

If we want to continue to watch soccer best is China do not dominate this sport. Every time they dominate a sport, they killed it. Ping pong and badminton are classic example. Pakistan dominate squash, they also kill the game.  

Between diving and swimming, which is more popular? 

Video discussing why Chinese cannot excel in football but Japanese can. The crew visit a professional J1 team where a young 18-year old Chinese player is a reserve. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3q7FZshR70

A few things mentioned applies to Singapore culture too.

there was a joke why USA and China, the two biggest country dun play football, cos 美中不足   [laugh]

i just saw there's a tahith chong in the man utd team travelling for the US friendlies.

Great, hope for us east asians.

Then found out he's not even remotely chinese.

:D

His paternal great great grandfather was chinese...

He has dutch citizenship, born in suriname.

Majority of the surinamese have african ancestry...

Maybe time for east asian man to change target to suriname women?...  [:p]  

Sharing this unique story in CNA. So rare for several reasons:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/no-pro-contract-singaporean-played-football-five-continents-10621466

1) A singaporean making a living playing football overseas (granted his wages and the leagues involved are not top-flight but he's making a living as a pro)

2) Played in africa and europe and able to keep up.

3) A local Chinese! [laugh]

And yet he was turned down twice in tryouts with s-league clubs.

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 1

Just one paragraph explains how LPPL the system is.

Is 22 too old? It's not like s-league standard is so high. I think at s-league standard, players can potentially contribute until early 30s [laugh]

That said, this guy can survive playing in africa and europe till late 20s and early 30s shows his fitness is anytime a shoo-in for s-league.

S-league players fitness for the most part is generally reputedly atrocious, with unprofessional behaviour like late nights, smoking etc.

Edited by Sosaria

Do one seriously think it is viable to be a pro-sport person in Singapore and how many success story are there to share?

If we look at why not, then you know you need to wake up from the day dream.

↡ Advertisement