Very different steering feel

Silklee

To start off, as a benchmark, I am driving a 2008 1.8L civic.

I have test driven a few cars and noted very different feels when it comes to the steering.

To me, one of the main dislike when i test drive the Estima and Teana is how light the steering feels. It seems that from stationery or low speed, i need to turn the steering a lot before the car starts to turn. And faster speeds, it seems to be more 'responsive', thus the feel of the steering response being kind of inconsistent.

The steering feel on my civic is different. The car seems to respond much better to slight turns on the steering. The latest camry is also fine.

Is it that the implementation of the steering on the civic and camry is very different from that of the estima and teana.

Can anyone shed some light (or some sort of technical explanation) on the different feel of the steering.

I will however have to say that the test drives on the estima, teana and camry are for a short distance only.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Maybe it is how they incorporate the electronic steering into the car, different manufacture can set different resistance of the steering.

Edited by Dorm

There is electric power steering, and mechanical hydraulic power steering.

The feedback from the electric power steering can be controlled electronically, but not the hydraulic type.

I recently rented the new hyundai accent overseas and found the steering horribly light compared to my altis. It's like overly assisted and I can turn full wheel with only 2 fingers.

I recently rented the new hyundai accent overseas and found the steering horribly light compared to my altis. It's like overly assisted and I can turn full wheel with only 2 fingers.

Hyundai cars have the lightest steering. I guess the steering setting can be changed on those!

the E60 520i I tried quite light le.. [rolleyes][rolleyes]

E90 is heavy, almost feel like no power steering at parking speed. But the feel and feedback when going through fast corner is solid [:)] [:)]

To me, one of the main dislike when i test drive the Estima and Teana is how light the steering feels.

Have you driven the Subaru XV before? Steering so light it has absolutely no feel. [laugh]

E90 is heavy, almost feel like no power steering at parking speed. But the feel and feedback when going through fast corner is solid [:)] [:)]

Yah at expressway sibei straight and solid ah

My father's previous car Citroen C5(first generation) has "adaptive steering" as one of its features, meaning at low speed the steering is light, faster speed the steering feels heavier. It feels absolutely artificial especially on higher speeds. The feedback from the front tires are almost non existence.

I still prefer the hydraulic powered steering racks, feedback and respond is still the best compared to electrical assisted power steering.

Edited by Watwheels

Those cars that you mentioned like Teana have electronic steering. Similar vehicles like the Merc B-class also had the same crappy light steering.

True, I don't like the light steering, but some people I know like it (they like "one finger driving"). Those guys aren't auto enthusiast. TO them the car is just a tool, so driving light steering makes the job easier.

There's also two different types of electric assist - electro servo assist (direct) or electro hydraulic assist (indirectly, still a hydraulic steering just pump driven by electric motor). The electro hydraulic has better steering feel of the two, but does not save that much energy.

That's why BMW fans are so upset when BMW went the fuel economy b-------t saving route and put electro hydraulic assist on the F series cars (F10 5 series, F20 1 series and F30 3 series). The steering feels like s--t as compared to the old E series which was so damn heavy that you really will build muscles parallel parking the car.

Another major difference is how the steering rack is designed. Some have variable ratios (not to be confused with variable assist) even to vary the speed at which the steering turns depending on car speed. BMW for example calls this "Active Steering" (go Google it, very interesting)

There's also difference in wheel alignment, especially caster and toe settings. Caster affects how the car wants to steer straight ahead. If the steering is light, chances are the caster and toe-in is increased to keep the car driving straight.

Edited by Detach8

There is electric power steering, and mechanical hydraulic power steering.

The feedback from the electric power steering can be controlled electronically, but not the hydraulic type.

There is still a physical connect between the rack and the steering wheel, just that the electric assist is so strong that it numbs the feeling.

Edited by Detach8

To start off, as a benchmark, I am driving a 2008 1.8L civic.

I have test driven a few cars and noted very different feels when it comes to the steering.

To me, one of the main dislike when i test drive the Estima and Teana is how light the steering feels. It seems that from stationery or low speed, i need to turn the steering a lot before the car starts to turn. And faster speeds, it seems to be more 'responsive', thus the feel of the steering response being kind of inconsistent.

The steering feel on my civic is different. The car seems to respond much better to slight turns on the steering. The latest camry is also fine.

Is it that the implementation of the steering on the civic and camry is very different from that of the estima and teana.

Can anyone shed some light (or some sort of technical explanation) on the different feel of the steering.

I will however have to say that the test drives on the estima, teana and camry are for a short distance only.

Totally agree with you. Civic 1.8 is about 1 and quarter turn to lock, some of these bigger cars take more turns lock to lock. It's very similar feel to my current ride in term of turning, although Audi is well known (notorious) for its very light steering.

But for me I like light steering :D

Volvo have the heaviest steering of all....in my opinion

No really. My uncle have a S80 & XC60. I drive both before and compared to my E90, my E90 is much more heavy. But I like it [:)]

↡ Advertisement