SAF eyeing F35 fighter jets & new submarines

Altivo

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/...312-407879.html

By Adrian Lim

My Paper

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013

SINGAPORE - Plans to enhance the fighting capabilities of the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) and tighten training safety were spelt out by the Ministry of Defence (Mindef) in the Budget debate yesterday.

Here are some key highlights.

New defence machines

Mindef is in the "final stages" of evaluating the still-in-development F-35 jet to "modernise" the Republic of Singapore Air Force's fighter fleet, said Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen.

SAF invests to ensure future credibility, says Dr Ng

He said the jet has "the potential to be the most advanced multi-role fighter aircraft for decades to come".

Mindef is also looking to replace its ageing Challenger-class submarines, which were built in the 1960s.

20130312.092647_f35_reuters.jpg

Keeping NS strong

A Committee to Strengthen National Service will be convened and chaired by Dr Ng.

It has one working group to look into maximising the abilities of national servicemen (NSmen) for the SAF and how they can fulfil their duties, while another working group will look into the recognition of NSmen and benefits for them.

Citing Finland - whose NSmen indicate how they want to serve, such as choosing vocations and opting to become officers - Dr Ng said Mindef should study how it can provide "more springboards" for NSmen here to maximise their potential and talents.

Full-time safety officers

The first batch of full-time safety officers has been trained and deployed to army units.

The officers will report directly to unit commanders and ensure better compliance with training-safety regulations.

New safety directorate

A Safety and Systems Review Directorate will be set up and will report directly to the Permanent Secretary of Defence and the Chief of Defence Force.

Its first external review panel will focus on training safety, and will include experts and professionals from outside the SAF.

Deployment of family doctors

To better manage more complex medical conditions, family doctors will be stationed in selected SAF medical centres.

They will provide clinical mentorship to younger full-time NS doctors.

Medical centres with a high trainee and patient load will be considered for this scheme.

↡ Advertisement

Wasn't so long ago that I posted that the F-35 had been grounded...

Due to cracked engine blades right?

Anyway, the F35 is damn expensive leh. Surely there are cheaper jet fighters out there that can meet the needs of the RSAF.

The F35 was grounded recently due some crack found onn the turbine blade.

Good that they found this during the development stage.

Wonder how this F35 compare with F22.

Anyway, the F35 is damn expensive leh. Surely there are cheaper jet fighters out there that can meet the needs of the RSAF.

HOW ABOUT THE china equivalent? [;)]

At US$107-236.8 million a pop, I seriously hope they re-consider [sweatdrop] [sweatdrop] [sweatdrop]

(source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Mart...35_Lightning_II )

Looks like they gonna get creative with ARF, PARF, COE, ERP, GST, ABSD, etc if they opt for the F-35s....

Edited by Vulcann
  • Praise 1

Globally, several nations have begun a trend of de-militarization (off the top of my head, can't be bothered to check Wiki individually):

The Danes have sold off all their Leopard 2A6 MBTs.

The New Zealand Air Force does not have combat aircraft.

Vickers Defence Systems, which built the Challenger 2 MBT, no longer exists. The Royal Armoured Corp is downsizing its tank corp. The famed Desert Rats 7th Armoured is being turned into a wheeled vehicle unit.

The Royal Air Force has no Harriers in service. The Royal Navy's flagship is an amphibious assault ship. When their newest aircraft carrier goes into service, it will have no fixed wing aircraft as there are none available in service.

The last time there was a global trend of demilitarization "peace in our time", some guy called Hitler set the world on fire......

Wonder how this F35 compare with F22.

Cannot be compared. The F-22 has been designated not-for-export in order for the US to keep its qualitative edge over foreign forces. In addition the export F-35 is a dumbed and watered down version of the domestic F-35.

Despite this, there were problems with the F-22 that have seen pilots pass out while flying it. Appears to be oxygen system related. Some pilots have requested to be transferred out of it.

i fear the time will come where we will face an enemy from within

an enemy that cannot be dealt with by these type of hardware

something like the sulu type, the terrorist type

the not so eeasily identifiable type

i fear the time will come where we will face an enemy from within

an enemy that cannot be dealt with by these type of hardware

something like the sulu type, the terrorist type

the not so eeasily identifiable type

Cyber terror is my concern. Everything is so connected nowadays it is scary what hackers could possibly get into.

Globally, several nations have begun a trend of de-militarization (off the top of my head, can't be bothered to check Wiki individually):

Vickers Defence Systems, which built the Challenger 2 MBT, no longer exists. The Royal Armoured Corp is downsizing its tank corp. The famed Desert Rats 7th Armoured is being turned into a wheeled vehicle unit.

The Royal Air Force has no Harriers in service. The Royal Navy's flagship is an amphibious assault ship. When their newest aircraft carrier goes into service, it will have no fixed wing aircraft as there are none available in service.

The last time there was a global trend of demilitarization "peace in our time", some guy called Hitler set the world on fire......

yeah, there was an article on ST recently on this too. About Europe's shrinking military budget and it's long term implications .....

Turbocharged

Tanks are quite useless in today's modern warfare.

Turbocharged

Depends on what type of warfare..

Conventional warfare still needs the big guns like MBTs and arty.. but the chances of such a war happening in the forseeable future is very small, the 2 superpower left in the world is China and USA. And no matter how bad the relations is, both know they need each other to survive, so going to war against each other will achieve nothing other than bragging rights. Besides, the mainland PRC has nothing that interest the US, no oil etc. The only possible friction i can think of now is the fight over Taiwan, which i think is also remote due to the current China friendly policies of president Ma. And China is not stupid too, they know the USN can easily outgun the PLAN.

The only other hotspot for conventional warfare i can think of now is North Korea vs South Korea.

All other conflicts mostly focus on anti-terrorism and unconventional warfare. Which in this case, there are more use of UAVs and precision strikes instead of large scale bombing/bombardment.

Depends on what type of warfare..

Conventional warfare still needs the big guns like MBTs and arty.. but the chances of such a war happening in the forseeable future is very small, the 2 superpower left in the world is China and USA. And no matter how bad the relations is, both know they need each other to survive, so going to war against each other will achieve nothing other than bragging rights. Besides, the mainland PRC has nothing that interest the US, no oil etc. The only possible friction i can think of now is the fight over Taiwan, which i think is also remote due to the current China friendly policies of president Ma. And China is not stupid too, they know the USN can easily outgun the PLAN.

The only other hotspot for conventional warfare i can think of now is North Korea vs South Korea.

All other conflicts mostly focus on anti-terrorism and unconventional warfare. Which in this case, there are more use of UAVs and precision strikes instead of large scale bombing/bombardment.

Actually now, the main concern and threat from war is coming from North Korea and Iran.

Edited by Joseph22
↡ Advertisement