Advice on BMW 320i and 520i in 2008

Beachboy7718

Dear Sifu, need your advices on BMW 320i and 520i in 2008 model.

Q1. How to identify a PI and AD model for 320 and 520?
Q2. There are models with 320i, 320i XL and 520i and 520i XL. What does XL stand for?
Q3. Will 520i underpower due to same engine as 320i as 156bhp for its weight? I saw the pricing difference no much for 320 and 520 but 5 series have larger sapce and features like i-Drive and eagle Xenon light. I read the review 320i gives 9.8 sec (1475KG); FC 12.3km/l and 520i give 10.6 sec (1490KG); FC 8km/l.
Q4. It seems that there is a different engine to provide 170HP for 520i. This is a PI model right?
Q5. Any recall and potential problems on these 2 models from 2008?

Thx for inputs.

↡ Advertisement

Q2. There are models with 320i, 320i XL and 520i and 520i XL. What does XL stand for?

Q3. Will 520i underpower due to same engine as 320i as 156bhp for its weight? I saw the pricing difference no much for 320 and 520 but 5 series have larger sapce and features like i-Drive and eagle Xenon light. I read the review 320i gives 9.8 sec (1475KG); FC 12.3km/l and 520i give 10.6 sec (1490KG); FC 8km/l.

Q4. It seems that there is a different engine to provide 170HP for 520i. This is a PI model right?

Thx for inputs.

Car plate holder can tell...PML wordings there

XL is the LCI means Facelift

Yes E60 better than E90 but heavier and more costly too

E60 520i with 170hp is the PreFL E60 which is 6 pot 2.2litres

Yes 2008 E60 got battery cover recall

1) Dunno

2) I think the XL stands for xenon lights and probably some other bells and whistles. So its a "better model" albeit cosmetic improvements lah. OMV also will be higher for XL models

3) Yes. Underpower. both models are 4 cylinder action only whereas 'X'23 onwards is 6 cylinder action so smoother and well, more power. Plus the fact that the 'X'23 models are more than 2 litres. But honestly between 320 and 520, I will take 520. Looks better and not much more expensive for second hand

4) I think so.

5) Recall not in Singapore. I think it happened in US. Potential problems go check out the bmw-sg forums. hahaha..There is one guy who listed all the problems with his 320i and how much it costed to fix everything.

1) Dunno

2) I think the XL stands for xenon lights and probably some other bells and whistles. So its a "better model" albeit cosmetic improvements lah. OMV also will be higher for XL models

3) Yes. Underpower. both models are 4 cylinder action only whereas 'X'23 onwards is 6 cylinder action so smoother and well, more power. Plus the fact that the 'X'23 models are more than 2 litres. But honestly between 320 and 520, I will take 520. Looks better and not much more expensive for second hand

4) I think so.

5) Recall not in Singapore. I think it happened in US. Potential problems go check out the bmw-sg forums. hahaha..There is one guy who listed all the problems with his 320i and how much it costed to fix everything.

... ...

Higher models of E60 and E90 all comes with Xenon even the Pre FL ones...

OMV is because of stronger Euro during the LCI model launched...

E60 523 is a 6 pot 2.5litres but first Gen is 170hp and LCI is 190hp...

After i sold my E90 then i got E60, i got my battery cover change at PML...

My mother drives a 2008 320i XL and it looks great, performs well except for certain minor problems. The windows creak and are very annoying. They require constant application of rubber protectant on the windows rubber seals every month or so. Even worse is the brake dust on the wheels. After just one week of driving and the rims are totally black and covered in dust. Sliding cupholder on the dashboard also got jammed despite being used less than 100 times. Just for comparison, my 2005 corolla altis has no such problems.

Edited by Shift_lock

My mother drives a 2008 320i XL and it looks great, performs well except for certain minor problems. The windows creak and are very annoying. They require constant application of rubber protectant on the windows rubber seals every month or so. Even worse is the brake dust on the wheels. After just one week of driving and the rims are totally black and covered in dust. Just for comparison, my 2005 corolla altis has no such problems.

The creaking sound can be solved...swing by PML or MA and they will install the insulation tape onto door frame...

As for the brake dust on rims...go to MA and they can coat all 4 rims then brake dust will clear by splashing water...

Looks very clean after coating wheels...

The creaking sound can be solved...swing by PML or MA and they will install the insulation tape onto door frame...

As for the brake dust on rims...go to MA and they can coat all 4 rims then brake dust will clear by splashing water...

Looks very clean after coating wheels...

Thanks for the tip [thumbsup] ! Will get it done when I next send it in for servicing at PML.

My mother drives a 2008 320i XL and it looks great, performs well except for certain minor problems. The windows creak and are very annoying. They require constant application of rubber protectant on the windows rubber seals every month or so. Even worse is the brake dust on the wheels. After just one week of driving and the rims are totally black and covered in dust. Sliding cupholder on the dashboard also got jammed despite being used less than 100 times. Just for comparison, my 2005 corolla altis has no such problems.

That's why don't buy BMW. Got this problem, got that problem. Even worse than MIT Altis. Your mother should change to Lexus.

Thx for inputs.

If you are a newbie to BMW, forget about BMW this old. You will nvr know how to take care of it.

My 1 cents advice.

If you are a newbie to BMW, forget about BMW this old. You will nvr know how to take care of it.

My 1 cents advice.

one of the best advice i heard so far on bmw ...

I agree with Davidtch. Buy a Lexus! Many of my car dealer friends also advise not to buy old conti cars. I had driven a few n always have to spend money on repairs!

I agree with Davidtch. Buy a Lexus! Many of my car dealer friends also advise not to buy old conti cars. I had driven a few n always have to spend money on repairs!

i bought a 7yrs old jap car..also spent a bomb on repairs....

:huh:

Thx all for the information sharing. Thinking about to change my current ride due to family allocation in June.

In fact, all this time I have been driving Jap cars and they are very reliable even after 5 yrs old. Currently the Jap used car depreciation value compared continetal cars are not much difference. My heart is itchy. But some of you point out about the repairs and problem for used BMW cars. BMW used cars have more problems after aging compared to jap car? I better watch out this as I am sure BMW cost more for services and repairs. Thx, IS250 is on my shortlisted too against 320i.

Thx all for the information sharing. Thinking about to change my current ride due to family allocation in June.

In fact, all this time I have been driving Jap cars and they are very reliable even after 5 yrs old. Currently the Jap used car depreciation value compared continetal cars are not much difference. My heart is itchy. But some of you point out about the repairs and problem for used BMW cars. BMW used cars have more problems after aging compared to jap car? I better watch out this as I am sure BMW cost more for services and repairs. Thx, IS250 is on my shortlisted too against 320i.

Go to BMW-SG & read whatever failure that can happens in 320. After that, decide whether u 1 2 buy or not. In addition, BMW has nasty problem, jerky GB or GB uplorry. If u r a person who hates to visit WS, forget about it.

For 5 series, nothing less than 6 pots.

If u change ride because need more seat, might as well look at MPV. Don't waste time to look at BMW. In the end, still have to change to MPV.

haha this one majority of conti cars rims easily become black. my prev E250 and A8 rim become black after 4 days nvr wash but the rx even 2 weeks nvr wash rim still shiny

i have both, both 2008 model.

Just bought them recently

negatives are lousy interior cheap tacky plastic , cramp seats , wind noise due to leaking rubber seal

positives good handling, good power to weight ratio not bcos the engine is good, but bcos the gearbox was fine tuned for this engine

negatives are same engine as the 320 so its slower

positives are more spacious interior (slightly) , better cosmetics

no major issues w both cars

no oil leak, no major breakdowns.

when collected car, did a major servicing by changing suspension, bushings, oil, ATF, batt, brake oil and brake pads

trouble free for 1 year each at least

My mum still drives the E60 523 while my wife once had the 318. No major issues for the past 6 years on 523. Sent PML for servicing. IIRC, the most expensive thing she did was the batt change which was 600. Apparently, the BMW uses special batt. haha. No chance to service the 318. Only had it for 8 months.

Drive wise, the 523 is quite fast. I can pull with those old school V-tec. Not bad but i didn't pia all the way cos that time just collected the car. Running in.. Moving off a bit sluggish though. Oh ya, after my run with the V-tec, petrol drop half. was a short distance run.

318 is hopeless in acceleration. But cornering still there. Can still out run most japs on the bends. On NSHW, it's not bad. Suprisingly, can cruise effortlessly at 200km/h.

To be honest, i think the downside abt BMW is the petrol consumption. On the 318, petrol bill was 600 a month. On my wife's current A1, it's only roughly 300.