Private Car Rental Scheme May Be Liberalised

Report from CNA : Private Car Rental Scheme may be liberalised

By Dylan Loh | Posted: 13 March 2013 1447 hrs

SINGAPORE: Car owners may have an easier time renting out their vehicles in future.

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) will study if the Private Car Rental Scheme can be liberalised.

LTA is also looking at other ways to ease the private transport situation as vehicle ownership aspirations remain.

Forty-five per cent of Singapore households owned a car in 2012, compared to 38 per cent in 2004.

With Singapore's land constraints, the government said the growing trend in car ownership is simply not sustainable.

If the Private Car Rental Scheme can be made more flexible, it means Singaporeans will have easier access to renting private transport, without needing to own a car.

The aim is to increase the convenience of door-to-door options to get around for family outings, or ferrying elderly parents, for example.

While this is one way to manage the private transport situation, the government said the Certificate of Entitlement (COE) system of allocating vehicle ownership will stay.

Authorities are doing a longer term study on the practicality of putting aside some COE supply from the upcoming peak expected in the next few years, for the future when supply becomes tighter.

Member of Parliament Hri Kumar Nair is one of many who has noted the difficulty in coming up with a fair system to allocate vehicle ownership.

"Most people accept the logic in restricting the number of cars on the road in the need to keep traffic smoothing smoothly but no one likes to pay more. As a result, we have heard many suggestions on how to change the system, usually with a view to keeping COE prices low for some," said Mr Hri Kumar.

Transport Minister Lui Tuk Yew said the COE system is by no means perfect, but is preferable to a balloting system.

"It is a difficult undertaking to try to allocate cars based on needs, such as to raise a family, to ferry elderly family members or for work purposes. Setting aside the likely problems with implementation and loopholes, I think it would be extremely difficult for the government to decide fairly who deserves and needs a car, and who does not," said Mr Lui.

To make better use scarce land space for roads, the Kranji and Pan Island Expressway stretch connecting the residential areas in the north to jobs in the west may be where a 'reversible flow' scheme will be implemented.

This scheme allows roads heading one way to head the other direction according to demands of peak period travel.

- CNA/fa

Those who own more than 1 cars can rent it out....... [:)][bounce2]

↡ Advertisement

But hor... not a good ideal.

Lets say currently if I own 2 cars and only drive one to work, then the road will has only my car driving.

If I rent out the spare car, then the road will have 2 cars running.

This times the number of ppls having spare cars, wah lau [sweatdrop] , all roads will jam like hell........... [dizzy]

i tell one trick sure work one!!!

1A) Allow cheap ownership

1B) Very Expensive Usage

1C) Allow all owners to collect marnie for carpool

in this way, cars will be more fully ultilised and lesser people on the bus and mrt

But hor... not a good ideal.

Lets say currently if I own 2 cars and only drive one to work, then the road will has only my car driving.

If I rent out the spare car, then the road will have 2 cars running.

This times the number of ppls having spare cars, wah lau [sweatdrop] , all roads will jam like hell........... [dizzy]

I think people who are in the market for 2 cars are in no need of that extra income.

Net number of cars on the road shouldn't increase in theory, because this scheme to targeted at people who need the convenience of a car without the burden of owning one. IE, they are the ones claiming "needing a car to send pregnant wife to checkup". These people, if not for the scheme, would have bought a car otherwise.

I'm just wondering what happens to insurance premiums, would they increase if the scheme is liberalised?

"Authorities are doing a longer term study on the practicality of putting aside some COE supply from the upcoming peak expected in the next few years, for the future when supply becomes tighter."

A lui wants to reduce the 250k Coe that's maturing in 2013-2017... Please all read between the lines.

roads is not the issue lar...carparks is. if you study orchard roads jams carefully, u will realise the cars jamming the roads are all waiting to go into full carparks. Same everywhere else.

For highways, its the exits and entry roads..the actual road itself is not jam, just slower moving.

Edited by Ungtiong

"1C) Allow all owners to collect marnie for carpool"

Than taxi driver how to make a living?

then ah gong go and lower bto price by 30%, current owner how?

those buy under mbt how?

in any case, so many comprains of cannot get teksi during rush hour

this shows that teksi lau cannot cope with demand

but no way me gonna share my ride with burly unruly ppl.......

if nice ladies or well mannered schoolgirls, studying i may consider....

then ah gong go and lower bto price by 30%, current owner how?

those buy under mbt how?

in any case, so many comprains of cannot get teksi during rush hour

this shows that teksi lau cannot cope with demand

more like teksi lao in the hide out waiting for on call.... -_-

Actually someone shld do a mobile app then all those who have the app either car owner or non car owner can open app log in then use the location function to locate nearby car owners and can see where the car owner is going to from where. If the car owner dun wan to reveal too much he or she can pickup from mrt station of what he is passing by.. Then other users wo can hitch a ride can click and join his ride, then they can chat and meet and agree on a fee too.

Taxi is another story Liao.

It is a joy and pride of owning your own car and taking care of it. Renting out your car will surely get your car damage in many ways.. I and my friends who had done that before, had suffered the consequences. Think about it... if you pride your car, will you rent it out? If you pride your wife or gf, will you let other to use?

It is a joy and pride of owning your own car and taking care of it. Renting out your car will surely get your car damage in many ways.. I and my friends who had done that before, had suffered the consequences. Think about it... if you pride your car, will you rent it out? If you pride your wife or gf, will you let other to use?

keep the younger and good looking one, likely gf. rent out wife, get income!

↡ Advertisement