Bicycle car rack illegal

Tweakmax2

If it obstructs the number plate, you will have to remove it when you are not transporting a bicycle. Have not heard of LTA stopping people when transporting bicycles, but i know people who have gotten fined for leaving it on when not in use and obstructing the plate.

Some racks might not obstruct the plate due to design and plate positioning, but i think that's pretty grey and wouldn't take the risk.

Twincharged

If it obstructs the number plate, you will have to remove it when you are not transporting a bicycle. Have not heard of LTA stopping people when transporting bicycles, but i know people who have gotten fined for leaving it on when not in use and obstructing the plate.

Some racks might not obstruct the plate due to design and plate positioning, but i think that's pretty grey and wouldn't take the risk.

By right when transporting bicycles also cannot obstruct the plate. Supposed to hang another plate on the bicycle just like those tow trucks. But normally they will close one eye.

I guess they fine those who leave it on when not in use is because it shows that they might be doing it on purpose to obstruct the plate.

Turbocharged

Bike racks are legal,

With the proviso that at no time can the number plate be obstructed (whether transporting bikes or not)

By rights the same rule also applies to wedding deco - this also cannot obscure number plate.

So the ticket you get would not be "bike rack" but rather "number plate obscured"

actually LTA requirements on modification to the external of the vehicle is very strict, the changes affecting visibility of vehicles number plate ( colour of background, fonts type and size etc) and light setup are clearly not allowed , so i guess if the bike rack + the bikes are not protruding too much out or blocking the visibility of the number plate or rear lightings, i think should be ok....well if you look at the other side of the coin it does post a danger to those vehicles(inc motobikes) behind if the bike + rack is too big and blocking out visibility of the brake lights . but the most important reason for LTA is i guess is that their cameras cannot capture the number plates when you speed..haha

so ppl are aware that leaving the bike rack on the car and obstructing the view of the license plate is illegal..

but still see alot of ppl doing that on the road....

Twincharged

so ppl are aware that leaving the bike rack on the car and obstructing the view of the license plate is illegal..

but still see alot of ppl doing that on the road....

Everyone is aware that speeding is illegal.

but I still see most people driving above the speed limit everyday. [laugh]

Everyone is aware that speeding is illegal.

but I still see most people driving above the speed limit everyday. [laugh]

Maybe our speed limits r too low n sud b increased?

Just buy a wagon/estate and all problems solved.

Bike racks though legal are potentially notoriously dangerous.

Edited by Kangadrool

Twincharged

Just buy a wagon/estate and all problems solved.

Bike racks though legal are potentially notoriously dangerous.

Done that before but I still end up using a rack. [sweatdrop] Didn't feel like putting the bike into the car when its all muddy.

They do not sell this in Singapore? Its mandatory in Germany, to have working rear light features & Licence plate holder for any rack/trailer at back of car

bicyclerack-rear_230x200_02-2012.jpg

Edited by Kiadaw

Turbocharged

Germany is really 'by the book' country. But it's good for safety.

I've seen the police there pulling over and checking movers trucks to see if goods inside were secured per regulations.

Neutral Newbie

Any additional items installed, protruding out of the car are not allowed.

Cause they might pose a danger

↡ Advertisement