Vulcann

NIMBY Version 3.0 [shakehead] [shakehead]

From CNA:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin...1260600/1/.html

Petition against setting up of childcare centre at rooftop garden

By Lip Kwok Wai | Posted: 17 March 2013 2214 hrs

post-5981-1363535650_thumb.jpg

Ow Bin Bing

SINGAPORE: Some Punggol residents are petitioning against the set-up of a childcare centre at the rooftop garden of a multi-storey carpark.

A closed-door dialogue session was held with residents on Sunday.

It's understood that officers from the HDB and the Social and Family Development Ministry were also present.

Some residents told Channel NewsAsia they were informed about the plans to set up the centre at Block 180 Edgefield Plains, last week.

Some were concerned about the safety of the children, adding that there's already a childcare centre within the vicinity.

Others felt that doing so goes against the government's push to allocate more green spaces within housing estates.

Still, there were residents who felt the rooftop garden has been under-utilised and can be put to better use.

One resident said she's garnered about 20 to 30 signatures for the petition.

Ow Bin Bing said: "If the small kids - two months old baby to seven years small kids, if anything happened, how can they run for their life? Let's say if there was a fire or anything, I have been teaching for 27 years, I know the small kids are very active, if anything were to happen, who will be responsible for their safety?"

When contacted, MP for the area Penny Low said there are plans to build more childcare centres in Punggol.

She said some locations are suitable, while others are not.

And added that ground consultations and innovative use of space are needed, to make sure residents' needs are met.

- CNA/ck

↡ Advertisement

saw the interview on TV and I was [shakehead] ........I don't need to teach for 27 yrs also knows that "small kids" are active.......that's why they are known as kids.......... [laugh]

And she's expecting a 2-month old baby to 'run' for her life???

How about existing childcare centers? How are they going to 'run for their lives'??? [:p]

Dunno whats wrong with setting up with Childcare at MSCP rooftop... If thats dangerous, then what about those childcare centre near road site? Dont they worry that the trailer crashed into childcare centre? or kids dash out to the road and bang by car??

Maybe someone could enlighten me what is so dangerous about MSCP??

Edited by Tigershark1976

saw the interview on TV and I was [shakehead] ........I don't need to teach for 27 yrs also knows that "small kids" are active.......that's why they are known as kids.......... [laugh]

How about existing childcare centers? How are they going to 'run for their lives'??? [:p]

I can understand that some of the concerns like kids not being able to escape in times of emergency seems legit but does that mean we cannot have infants or toddlers in high-rise buildings going by that logic? So all parents with babies must stay at the ground level (if there is still ground floor HDB residential units [laugh] ) then?

And if falling from height is a worry I believe the architect would have taken that into consideration in their design.

Well the rest of the concerns like not being able to have greenery on the roof and the desire for green spaces, there are ways to do it on the ground instead of having high up there. BTW green roof is expensive to construct and maintain so IMHO it is not cost effective.

Besides we all know not many Singaporeans would like to be on the roof "enjoying" the garden under a hot sun so besides lowering the surrounding temperature by a degree or two, the roof garden basically does not provide any more benefits. Heck only the residents staying at the few blocks surrounding the roof garden will be able to enjoy the view or for those staying just 2 or 3 stories to benefit the 1-2 degree lowering of temperature anyway.

Saw the video from the link provided by TS, I LOL at the auntie. I dunno what's she's been teaching but hopefully not forming sentences.

Are carpark rooftops fire hazards? Jialat. Here cannot, there cannot. How to increase fertility rate?

The part that puzzles me is that Punggol is a very new town with many young parents and so why are these folks petitioning then?

I guess their concern is really the location and not the existence of a childcare centre.

What may be a lose-lose situation for everyone is the powers that be saying Ok we tried but you objected so let's build it some where that is more welcoming then.

Song bo then?

The part that puzzles me is that Punggol is a very new town with many young parents and so why are these folks petitioning then?

I guess their concern is really the location and not the existence of a childcare centre.

What may be a lose-lose situation for everyone is the powers that be saying Ok we tried but you objected so let's build it some where that is more welcoming then.

Song bo then?

maybe the level she is staying is near the roof. child care can be quite when kids are playing. probably noise nuisance.

Turbocharged

Saw the video from the link provided by TS, I LOL at the auntie. I dunno what's she's been teaching but hopefully not forming sentences.

Are carpark rooftops fire hazards? Jialat. Here cannot, there cannot. How to increase fertility rate?

Going by that sort of scared die mentality that is so Singaporean, I compile a list of cannot do below:

1) Cannot drive in case accident

2) Cannot f u c k in case got AIDS

3) Cannot eat in case choked to death

4) Cannot buy things in case get in debt

5) CANNOT BE A HUMAN BEING BECAUSE EVERYTHING ALSO CANNOT!!! :D :D :D

I guess must be Chinese teacher if not childcare teacher std really no std.

honestly there are pro and con of establishing child care on roof of a building...ultimately I'm for the roof top child care with child safety in mind.

alternatively I'd been to Mee Toh primary at edgefield drive...such a mega big compound, how difficult is to lease out couple of rooms to privateers to run child care there... win win for all...the children having the security of MOE schools, the school having extra income, and the child care facilities benefiting from low overhead

Caught a clip showcasing the double-storey Fuji Kindergarten in Tokyo, Japan:

Wish myself or my kids could have attended such a fun place...

not sure id this was already done....perhaps the ministry can come out with a detail design plan showing all the safety features and brief the residents.

first though that comes to parents when we talk about child care centres on MSCP roof top will be open, high and lots of car movements with alot of potential blind spots. all these are hazardous to young kids.. can't really blame them for being skeptical about this idea..

but then... should try to utilise the void decks first.. really no more void decks available meh??

not sure id this was already done....perhaps the ministry can come out with a detail design plan showing all the safety features and brief the residents.

first though that comes to parents when we talk about child care centres on MSCP roof top will be open, high and lots of car movements with alot of potential blind spots. all these are hazardous to young kids.. can't really blame them for being skeptical about this idea..

but then... should try to utilise the void decks first.. really no more void decks available meh??

think some of the new design flats got no more void decks as they built units on the ground floors as well....... [laugh]

The auntie either a) stays near same level as the mscp roof and doesn't want the noise to disturb her or b) likes to hang out at the rooftop garden and gossip with the other aunties in the neighbourhood.

Neutral Newbie

Think this same auntie was the one recently interviewed for failed investment in the Gold Guarantee... Her dressing style is very unique.

Think this same auntie was the one recently interviewed for failed investment in the Gold Guarantee... Her dressing style is very unique.

No wonder she looks familiar.

She appears on the 0:51 mark.

Edited by Watwheels