CNA: China to buy Russian fighters, subs

Vulcann

Interesting as their own indigenous J-series 5th generation stealth fighters are still not yet in service and the PLAAF apparently has to fill in the gap with2 squadrons of effectively Flanker-upgraded Su-35s for the time being I guess.

The real eye-opener is the purchase of the Lada-class AIP subs which are supposingly more deadly than the Kilo-class diesel ones.

Guess all the claimant states of islands which PRC is also laying claims over have a real cause for concern for their naval vessels now that PLAN have both Kilos and Ladas in service... [sweatdrop] [sweatdrop]

From CNA:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp...1262201/1/.html

China to buy Russian fighters, subs

Posted: 25 March 2013 1450 hrs

BEIJING: China has agreed to buy two dozen fighter jets and four submarines from Russia, state media reported Monday, the country's first large-scale weapons technology purchases from Moscow in a decade.

The agreement to buy the 24 Su-35 fighters and four Lada-class submarines was signed just before President Xi Jinping's weekend visit to Russia, said the People's Daily, the Communist Party organ, citing state television.

The report, which did not give a value for the purchases, said it was the first time in 10 years China had bought "large military technological equipment" from Russia.

The deal comes as Beijing expands its military reach -- it commissioned its first aircraft carrier last year -- and is embroiled in a bitter territorial row with Japan over disputed islands in the East China Sea.

Two of the submarines will be built in Russia, with the other two to be built in China.

"The Su-35 fighters can effectively reduce pressure on China's air defence before Chinese-made stealth fighters come online," the report said.

China and Russia are expected to co-operate further in developing military technology, the report said, including that for S-400 long-range anti-aircraft missiles, 117S large thrust engines, IL-476 large transport aircraft and IL-78 aerial tankers.

China's defence ministry had no immediate comment on the report.

Xi visited Moscow from Friday to Sunday for talks with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin, his first trip abroad since becoming head of state earlier this month.

The countries signed around 30 energy and other agreements during the visit.

Xi also met Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu and became the first foreign leader to visit the Russian armed forces' control centre.

Moscow and Beijing, which were once bitter foes during the Cold War, have strengthened cooperation in recent years to counterbalance what they see as US global dominance.

Earlier this month China announced a further double-digit rise in its defence budget, raising it by 10.7 percent to 720.2 billion yuan ($116.3 billion) in 2013.

-AFP/ac

↡ Advertisement

Did any of those countries have a chance in terms of naval force to begin with?

All of them are tiny countries compared to China so it's only a matter of how much willpower china has in this matter.

All of them are tiny countries compared to China so it's only a matter of how much willpower china has in this matter.

the main force to reckon with is the one that is behind supporting their cause and selling them weapons....... [laugh]

Only the Japanese has the naval strength to slug it out with the Chinese but both will not want come to blows though.

But flexing her muscles against the likes of Pinoys & the Viets with no serious implications whatsover is something which is relished to score points at home though.

Only the Japanese has the naval strength to slug it out with the Chinese but both will not want come to blows though.

But flexing her muscles against the likes of Pinoys & the Viets with no serious implications whatsover is something which is relished to score points at home though.

Because of her Arleigh Burke destroyers? I think the Japanese will still fear the prospect of a protracted war of attrition. Who wouldn't? It is the Chinese. [laugh]

Because of her Arleigh Burke destroyers? I think the Japanese will still fear the prospect of a protracted war of attrition. Who wouldn't? It is the Chinese. [laugh]

Both will hurt badly in the event of a limited naval or air conflict so don't think even a war of attrition will happen.

Political cost will be too high if there are hostilities which result in casualties.

Besides, pesky Uncle Sam is watching by the side & by all accounts will assist the Japanese if there is a conflict.

Whatever it is when elephants fight, grass like us will suffer... [:(]

Strength of the Japanese Arleigh Burke destroyers is her anti-air & ship missile system, the only advantage China had would be her Kilo submarine. i think if there's a limited sea war with Japan, China will have a very tough fight.

We know China styles.....

24 numbers of SU-35 bought will churn out 240 copies of it within 2 years.... [laugh][laugh]

If I will them, I buy the T-50 latest fighter of the Russian and make copies ... [sly]

I think the Russkies are prepared for that.

They are going to even let the Chinese build two of the ordered Lada-class subs.

Like you said very soon PRC may be selling copies of these new toys to all the whole world except maybe the US [laugh] [laugh]

Now that the two former foes machiam abang adik like that and striking up a cosy relationship from the surface, it remains to be seen if this will last the length of time to counter the influence by the Americans.

Turbocharged

Russia has a small headache now...

their billions of dollars stored in Cyprus, used for money laundering and tax evasion, are going to be wiped out

Turbocharged

anyway this is the second largest economy in the world

surely the world should not be surprised that their military might is upgraded every now and then?

i have not heard of a wealthy country in history that is weak in military (maybe Song Empire)

Turbocharged

I read somewhere the J20 stealth fighter is suppose to has some sort of trust vectoring technology but has yet to be implemented for the test prototype.

Since SU-35 have trust vectoring, perhaps china's purchase is to have some sort of technological leverage from the russian jets?

We know China styles.....

24 numbers of SU-35 bought will churn out 240 copies of it within 2 years.... [laugh][laugh]

If I will them, I buy the T-50 latest fighter of the Russian and make copies ... [sly]

This purchase will also say much about China current progress in making their own Kilo-class copy sub - the Yuan class.

And also show up their progress in their new fighters...

They won't buy these new Russkie toys if the Chinese are already making good progress in the above indigenous (read = Copy) weapons class.. something is not working out well....

Unless of course the Chinese are looking at copying new tech from the Su-35 and Lada subs, which then I think the Russians are stupid to allow them to...

Strength of the Japanese Arleigh Burke destroyers is her anti-air & ship missile system, the only advantage China had would be her Kilo submarine. i think if there's a limited sea war with Japan, China will have a very tough fight.

it is not the armament actually, it is the Aegis fire control system that is the crown jewel. Sometime back when ROC lobbied hard for the Arleigh Burke and all they got in return was Kidd class destroyers, it was deemed as a failure of their lobby.

Russia has a small headache now...

their billions of dollars stored in Cyprus, used for money laundering and tax evasion, are going to be wiped out

Which is why some suspect the EU incessant decision on Cyprus's measures is to whack the Russkies hard...

(edited)

If the Lada submarine is anything like the Lada car... I don't think the world needs to be worried about it! [laugh]

Haha in term of performance this sea Lada is not as the same "loc cog" land Lada la 此拉达非彼拉达啦 [laugh] [laugh]

Thus all surface naval forces to a certain extend does lose sleep over such stealthy killers [sweatdrop] [sweatdrop]

This sub actually carries its own oxygen for the engine and thus need not surface for air like normal diesel boats. A few of our own are also equipped with the AIP config.

It is deadly quiet which is the main advantage of subs, the crews of which are dubbed the Silent Service.

Understandly due to its high-risk environment, sub crews are one of the most highly-trained and well-paid in any navy [thumbsup]

Edited by Vulcann