Very Tempted to UpSIZE RIMS

VellfireS

Sorry for bumping up this old thread as I do not want to create a new one with similar discussion.

I am currently in a delimna of upsizing my rims. Driving a 1.5L Mazda 3 using stock 16" rims. One 17" Oz rim totally caught my eye and I am so tempting to upsize. But I understand that FC and pick up speed will be affected which I am very concerned as well. 

Should I still pull the trigger? Or just stick to stock if I am concerned with FC and acceleration. I am doing a sales job btw and clocking high mileage, close to or slightly more than 100km per day. Hence FC will really be quite significant to my wallet.

stick to stock 16 and go for better Quality tire to improve the handling and Safety.

• Praise 2

I upgraded my rims from 17" to 18" on my pervious car, and it created hell lot of squeaking sound

during stop at traffic light n reserve breaking at slow speed. could be due to the interference of frequency

between break pads and rims.

stick to stock or upgrade your rims according to manufacturer recommended model and specs.

So for my current 16”, it’s purely for aesthetics purpose to upsize right?

i upgraded from 16'' to 18'', FC suffered a bit, but no regret at all. Looks a lot better

maybe 1 regret is, i should have chosen 19''

Sorry for bumping up this old thread as I do not want to create a new one with similar discussion.

I am currently in a delimna of upsizing my rims. Driving a 1.5L Mazda 3 using stock 16" rims. One 17" Oz rim totally caught my eye and I am so tempting to upsize. But I understand that FC and pick up speed will be affected which I am very concerned as well.

Should I still pull the trigger? Or just stick to stock if I am concerned with FC and acceleration. I am doing a sales job btw and clocking high mileage, close to or slightly more than 100km per day. Hence FC will really be quite significant to my wallet.

My car was on 16 stock. I have changed to both 17 with lower profile and 15 with donut semi slicks. Honestly, i dont see a difference in fc from stock. Maybe there is but not significant to me.

Higher fc is partly due to start stop. The supposely heavier 17 needs more inertial to turn from stationary. But if u travel mostly on highway, that will not affect much. Also, the 17 might be lighter than ur stock 16 especially if you are buying original forge rims. If you are that anal enough, find out the weight of each rims first before deciding.

So for my current 16â, itâs purely for aesthetics purpose to upsize right?

Imho, yes. Unless u go extreme with very low profile tyres with minimal tyre walls to flex at corners. I dont see it as a performance upgrade. However, the type of tyres do play a role too.

17 is a nice size for small jap cars.

I'm driving mz3 too. I upsize from 16" to 18"

Ya fc is affected n next time change tyre also more ex but changing rims really make my car looks more sporty

• Praise 1

Usually for a 1- to 2-size upsize, I think you have to be prepared to bear a loss of between 30 to 60km in mileage when upsizing your rims. Other factors such as the type / width of the tyre and the weight of the rim do make a difference too. OZ has some lightweight rims - I think the Ultraleggeras should be in the range of 9 to 10kgs; but there are some other OZ models which can be quite heavy, like in the 11 to 13kg range.

If there's a particular design of rims you like, you could also look at the established forged rim brands (e.g. Rays, Prodrive) to see if there's any for your car - The weights can range from 6.5 to 7.5kg per rim for 17".  With lighter rims, the drop in FC would be negligible. If you're not that particular, you could even consider good condition second hand rims - Perhaps from those dekitting or from the established tyre shops. 

The upside to upsizing, as what others have shared - You'll probably enjoy looking at your car more with the bigger rims, your handling will also improve. That could probably be a small trade-off for the loss in mileage, if any.  In terms of acceleration, you may feel a slight dip initially; Also, you may wish to prepare for a slightly bumpier ride with lower profile tyres; but as you keep driving, I think you will automatically adapt to it and it won't bother you much after awhile.

Just sharing based on previous experience from stock 15" to 17" OZ Superleggeras for a Corolla.

Have also upsized from (a) Stock 17" to 18", and (b) Stock 17" to 19" for a Honda Odyssey. Negligible loss from 17" to 18" (+/- 10 to 15km), and 30 to 35km loss of mileage from 17" to 19".

Edited by Ronkovic
  • Praise 3

A piece of tyre can weigh more than its accompanying rim. 

A typical 225/45/17 tyre (what I am using now) weigh around 10kg. My stock 17-6.5 cast rim weigh 10kg while aftermarket 17-7.5 forged rim weight 7kg.

What I am trying to say is that usually when you upsize rim, the accompanying tyre becomes lighter (check tyrerack for typical weights or weigh it yourself next time you change tyre/rim). This is assuming you kept to same outer dimensions. So when you upsize your rims, your wheels does not increase in static weight as much as you thought. The loss in fc is due to something else.

not really leh.

u take the most popular car in sg for example toyota altis

orginal 15' 195.65.15 tyres upsize to 17'  225.45.17/215.45.17 

i believe both the tyres n rims will be heavier on the 17' side

I’m collecting my new SUV that comes with 17” rim with Kumho tyres. Tempted to upsize and heard friends saying immediately from collecting car trade-in at a better price.

Bros please share your experiences, should I upsize to 18” or 19”?

Which are the recommended tyres?

My priority is still quietness, the road noise not to be noticeably compromised?

I’m collecting my new SUV that comes with 17” rim with Kumho tyres. Tempted to upsize and heard friends saying immediately from collecting car trade-in at a better price.

Bros please share your experiences, should I upsize to 18” or 19”?

Which are the recommended tyres?

My priority is still quietness, the road noise not to be noticeably compromised?

please provide more information about you car like : brand , model ,tire size , wheel size.

for tire conversion critical because is important , otherwise you might end up more problem than improvement .

getting a cross over that comes with 225/55/18
i have checked from their website, the stock size is was 215/70/16

am thinking of trading this 225/55/18 
to 245/45/19 or even 245/40/20
just being dreamy LOL

can go for it? sure looks satki
cannot becos it will give headaches! - ??

like the thread title says:  temptation is great  [laugh] 

any sharing , much appreciated!

Edited by Xover

getting a cross over that comes with 225/55/18

i have checked from their website, the stock size is was 215/70/16

am thinking of trading this 225/55/18

to 245/45/19 or even 245/40/20

just being dreamy LOL

can go for it? sure looks satki

cannot becos it will give headaches! - ??

like the thread title says: temptation is great [laugh]

any sharing , much appreciated!

Want to go.

Go 20'

please provide more information about you car like : brand , model ,tire size , wheel size.

for tire conversion critical because is important , otherwise you might end up more problem than improvement .

Its Hyundai Tucson. The tyre is 225/60/R17. I do not know how to see other specs of the rim. Is this information sufficient?

Thank you so much!

Its Hyundai Tucson. The tyre is 225/60/R17. I do not know how to see other specs of the rim. Is this information sufficient?

Thank you so much!

thanks for sharing

usually car brand / model / existing tire size(must be originally factory fitted / not those locally upgraded by Car seller ) info are more than enough to know what to upsize your rim and tires.

for your case going up to 18 inch is perfect for me 

1st tire size 225/55/18 (recommended by car manufacturers ) is commonly available 

2nd 18 inch  wheels specification is common here,(just get the wheel Offset 45mm to 40mm)

just my sharing. 

I always emphasize go for Quality Tires .and wheels.

↡ Advertisement