Ride Bicycle to work from west to east

Gylgyl

Neutral Newbie

Hi all,

I am staying in west cck area and work in the east at expo changi area. I gain quite abit of weight these past few years of course bcos of good foods and alway drive in the car no matter where I go even to market which is only 800m away. I had been thinking to buy a bicycle to ride to work instead of driving ... so to save cost as well as to lose some weight and keep fit.... but I worry to few things

What are the best route to take to go from cck to changi expo?

How to reduce the risk involve and reduce the nuisance caused to other road users? I'm a driver too and I do realise how dangerous it will be to ride on road....manyway I could avoid the road but still can reach changi??

↡ Advertisement

No matter how safe u ride,u encounter one kuku driver,that's it.

Thou I'm not a cyclist,to ride from west to east is unthinkable for me.

U still need to ride back home after work [knife]

Try a shorter distance 1st, for example frm cck to teck whye. U wun be able to reach between your objective on your 1st attempt. Too far away for beginners.

Hi all,

I am staying in west cck area and work in the east at expo changi area. I gain quite abit of weight these past few years of course bcos of good foods and alway drive in the car no matter where I go even to market which is only 800m away. I had been thinking to buy a bicycle to ride to work instead of driving ... so to save cost as well as to lose some weight and keep fit.... but I worry to few things

What are the best route to take to go from cck to changi expo?

How to reduce the risk involve and reduce the nuisance caused to other road users? I'm a driver too and I do realise how dangerous it will be to ride on road....manyway I could avoid the road but still can reach changi??

The distance is a bit far for casual cyclist.

Unless you have good road sense, stamina and riding skills, i would advise against cycling that distance to work for safety reasons.

Get a bike for evening rides and exercise but forget about cycling to work.

Better for you and other road users.

This is advice coming from an ex avid cyclist who used to do 20km one way from home to school.

Cheers

Edited by Throttle2

In sec sch, I used to riding from hougang to sentosa

It's doable but it's dangerous

But u r really special, normal sg dun even wan to get a job in the east if staying west when they r driving

U, riding

Hahaha

Forget about it. U will nvr ride more than 1 day to work given your current state.

Anyway, i hope you prove me wrong.

Advise from avid cyclist.

Cycling to get fit = Good!

Cycling to work from cck to expo at your current fitness level = Not such a great idea.

I'm trying to think of a decent route from cck to expo but having a hard time. Go north via mandai-puggol-sengkang-tampines, through the middle down bukit timah-balestier-geylang-changi road or down south bukit batok-west coast-town-east coast. Estimated at least 1.5 hours whatever route, probably longer if riding fitness is not there.

TS your spirit is commending [thumbsup] but you need lots of training B4 you can embark on such a journey in your present shape. you need to consider riding back after a long day at work, also can your backside take the journey, they need to be seasoned. finally riding in sg during morning rush hour? not unless you have a death wish. soooo.......i suggest you practice on the PCN first before reconsidering this idea of yours. :D

Turbocharged

TS, I also work in the east but stay in the west. I know most singaporeans won't even consider it even if they drive! [laugh] So you must be foreigner then? [laugh]

Anyway, jokes aside, yes the distance is too far, and quite dangerous. It's going to be about 30km one way!!

I know you have another concern about getting exercise, and probably cycling only during weekends is not going to cut it...

Why not you try this: buy a good folder bike, bring to office and store it there. During lunch break, skip your lunch or just have a light, quick meal... go cycling instead! Around your area, 5 days a week should be pretty good to achieve your goal. East side there are many park connectors to cycle on. Tampines especially, near to Expo your workplace, is very cycle friendly.

cycle to train stn and take train then cycle to work. U can slowly increase distance by alighting further from work.

Twincharged

If you just started cycling I think you'll give up very quickly if you start this way. Must slowly increase the distance if you want. Used to cycle from Bishan to Yew Tee daily.

TS...there are better ways to lose weight....jogging, proper diet. U will need will-power to accomplish ur mission. But wheel-power is dangerous here in Sg. And the distance is really [sweatdrop] [sweatdrop] especially if its an everyday commute. But if u are keen on recreational cycling many here i think can help u hook up with a club.

From zero to CCK - Changi, is not realistic. You have to slowly build up to it.

I cycled from Tampines to Depot Road everyday during my army days. The first time I did it, I had to stop halfway and puke, and my arse hurt for a week. Realised my stupidity immediately. Spent 2 months slowly working up to longer distances. After that, cycling was faster than taking MRT to camp.

Don't jump into it right away.

And when you can do it, always carry spare tubes with you.

And if your goal is to lose body fat, there are much easier ways to do it. Like eating a good diet.

Edited by Chickenbackside

TS spirit is willing but flesh is weak [:p]

I once rode a BMX from Tampines to town and then back in sec sch days. When I reach home legs start to tremble uncontrollably in the lift, so malu!

Riding from CCK to Expo and back is unthinkable to me.

There are already enough good advice from the bros here, I just sharing my experience.

the thought of it already make me tire like hell!

You probably have to start the journey from 5am and reach office at 830am [sweatdrop] [sweatdrop]

If you want to lose weight, you can cycle near your area on weekends or even after work. I find cycle from cck to expo way too far and not safe along the way.

Edited by 13177
↡ Advertisement