Grinding Noise when raining or wet weather

Aerosmith

a loud grinding noise from the front right of the car occurs only during wet weather. on dry weather, there is absolutely no such sound no matter how i whack the car. but 5 mins into a rain, this noise comes out, when it is loud, it is quite alarming because you might think the car is breaking down any moment. it is not making noise continuously, it on off on off during the journey.

i notice it will get louder when i raise rpm, when i release throttle, it subsides.

anyone had before, the car is legacy gt 2.5 auto

↡ Advertisement

should be the belt.. a sharp "Queking" sound when u add abit of pressure only last for few secs? should be common bro..

nope, the sound is metal on metal grinding, and last as long as i rev rpm

the sound was not present in the past.

the sound came on the first time it rained after i did a gearbox rebuilt with sports clutch. but the gearbox can be ruled out because normal dry weather no problems even with hard whacking. I also tuned the car after that and tuner said gearbox was in perfect condition.

Try checking your undercarriage cover or wheel fender. Maybe the connecting pin is missing thus cause the flapping sound when goes over puddle during rainy days. I too had the same issue and had it resolve.

I had something very similar the last time during raining weather, on my previous car. Ended up it was the midpipe of my aftermarket exhaust system that was knocking on my chassis when the underside got wet and warped slightly. If yours is a legacy, check the exhaust piping (up-pipe?) to see it has any scruff marks. Think there is exhaust piping running around there?

Try checking your undercarriage cover or wheel fender. Maybe the connecting pin is missing thus cause the flapping sound when goes over puddle during rainy days. I too had the same issue and had it resolve.

ok, i will do it at workshop asap

I had something very similar the last time during raining weather, on my previous car. Ended up it was the midpipe of my aftermarket exhaust system that was knocking on my chassis when the underside got wet and warped slightly. If yours is a legacy, check the exhaust piping (up-pipe?) to see it has any scruff marks. Think there is exhaust piping running around there?

sounds plausible, since it occurs during wet, maybe the metal contract with the cold water and vibrate more.

It got to do with yr brake disc and pad.

then it should happen when dry too right?

but it might be possible, cause i forgotten to change pads once, and it worn off and slightly scarred the rotor, now it is with brand new pads. but the noise occur only wet and only when i accelerate, not brake

When yr mech replace the pads, chance he may have not push the the caliper pistons far back enough. The clearance between the disc and pad is far from min. When water get into the gap there, it creat a"hydraulic resistance" to the wheel rotations

• Praise 1

(edited)

Same noise during wet weather, found out its my midpipe dented, got it rectified 80rm 2wks ago, ride as quiet b4.

Edited by KaKiLang

Same noise during wet weather, found out its my midpipe dented, got it rectified 80rm 2wks ago, ride as quiet b4.

i going to check now

↡ Advertisement