ST: Toddler fell to death two mths after maid saved his life

Vulcann

(edited)

The sad incident happened last year and the report on the ST report on the state coroner's findings was published two weeks ago.

MCFers who are staying in old high-rise apartment do take serious note that some of the railing gaps may be wide enough for toddlers to squeeze through. In addition there might be stupid railing or parapet designs with horizontal bars/gaps which allows toddlers or children to climb over.

From Straits Times:

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/...s-life-20130321

Toddler fell to death two months after maid saved his life

Published on Mar 21, 2013

10:07 AM

ST_20130321_KSERIC216UNP_3577100e.jpg

Twenty-one-month-old Eric fell to his death after squeezing through the bars of a balcony on the fourth floor of a condominium unit. -- ST PHOTO: SEAH KWANG PENG

By Khushwant Singh

LAST April, a toddler was saved as he was about to fall from a fourth-floor balcony. Two months later, he was not so lucky.

Eric Wong Yu Hao, a year and nine months old, fell to his death after squeezing through the bars of the balcony at a Hillview Green condominium in Upper Bukit Timah.

State Coroner Imran Abdul Hamid, while saying he found that the death was accidental yesterday, urged those who look after young children to check possible dangers in their homes and put in safety measures. He pointed out that there are online groups offering solutions to make homes safe.

"While I don't think anyone can guarantee that the suggested solutions will be 100 per cent effective, at the very least caregivers can have the peace of mind that what could possibly be done to make the home safe for young children, has been done," he said.

Edited by Vulcann
↡ Advertisement

And in response, two concerned readers wrote in:

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/forum-...-point-20130323

My Point

Published on Mar 23, 2013

Toddler's death: Balcony unsafe?

I AM surprised that the state coroner did not question whether the balcony design in the condominium where a toddler fell to his death was safe ("Toddler fell to death two months after maid saved his life"; Thursday).

The report quoted another parent who said he rushed home on the day of the tragedy to make sure the plastic sheets covering the grilles in his home were secure.

This begs the question of why the Building and Construction Authority allowed the balcony design to be approved, and what it has done after the accident.

Is there no responsibility on the part of the architect and developer to ensure that balconies and windows are child-safe?

Yum Shoen Liang

http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/forum-...-rules-20130402

Toddler's death: Did condo flout building rules?

Published on Apr 02, 2013

HAVING been in the building industry for 30 years, I was shocked to read that the gaps between the balcony railings at a condominium, where a toddler fell to his death, were 14cm to 16.5cm wide ("Toddler fell to death two months after maid saved his life"; March 21).

Building and Construction Authority (BCA) requirements stipulate that the size of any opening or gap in a barrier should not be large enough to permit the passage of a sphere with a diameter of 10cm. This is also a standard building regulation adopted internationally.

I am puzzled as to how the development obtained all the occupation permits and licences despite having such an irregularity.

Did the project consultants who supervised the development endorse and submit the approved/as-built drawings and certifications to the respective government building authorities upon completion of the project?

Did the authorities inspect the completed works to ensure that all regulations were followed before a Temporary Occupation Permit was issued?

If such an irregularity happened at this particular condominium, then it could happen at other developments as well.

I urge the BCA to comment on the points I raised.

Michael Yeo

The authority's reply:

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/forum-...rriers-20130404

BCA on death-fall condo's barriers

Published on Apr 04, 2013

WE ARE deeply saddened that a child fell through the balcony grilles at Hillview Green condominium ("Toddler's death: Balcony unsafe?" by Mr Yum Shoen Liang, March 23; and "Toddler's death: Did condo flout building rules?" by Mr Michael Yeo, Tuesday).

Our checks showed that the design of the safety barriers in the condominium complied with the relevant regulatory requirement in 1995, when the building plans were approved.

The Building and Construction Authority (BCA) regularly reviews Singapore's building safety regulations to ensure they are comparable to international standards and, in 2004, the requirements relating to safety barriers for residential buildings were revised.

In addition, in 2007, a new requirement to prevent climbing of safety barriers by small children was introduced.

Such practices and requirements are consistent with those in other countries, such as the United States, Britain and Australia. We will continue to do regular reviews to ensure that the safety requirements for our buildings remain relevant.

Teo Orh Hai

Director, Building Plan and Management

Building and Construction Authority

I have to say the father has a big portion to blame. :angry:

He ignored the prior accident. Very difficult to buy wire mesh and cable tie meh

Turbocharged
(edited)

He ignored the prior accident. Very difficult to buy wire mesh and cable tie meh

yes, same thought come to mind.

when things happen one time. have to do corrective action, follow by preventive option.

however, having said that. lets not blame the parents anymore as their hurt are more then ours. what we should be doing now is to check if there is anywhere in our home that is not safed.

Edited by Joseph22

put wire mesh spoil the original design and look mah :D

i think the parents should shoulder all the blame for this....a precious life loss, due to carelessness....cannot blame the design of the balcony railings

yup, was similarly upset why the parents did not do anything about the grille, especially such a close shave with death for their child. They have the biggest responsibility towards the safety and welfare of their child, not the authorities or the maid.

Rip little one.... too young to understand and too late to learn now.

please do not take for granted the innocent daringness of children and the draw of open windows and balcony at home.... adults cannot watch the kid every second, do take precautions to keep him/ her safe.

• Praise 1

I dun buy what bca said, anyone has the regulation on balcony railing?

U need to go look for micheal yeo. ^_^

The sad incident happened last year and the report on the ST report on the state coroner's findings was published two weeks ago.

MCFers who are staying in old high-rise apartment do take serious note that some of the railing gaps may be wide enough for toddlers to squeeze through. In addition there might be stupid railing or parapet designs with horizontal bars/gaps which allows toddlers or children to climb over.

From Straits Times:

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/...s-life-20130321

Toddler fell to death two months after maid saved his life

Published on Mar 21, 2013

10:07 AM

Twenty-one-month-old Eric fell to his death after squeezing through the bars of a balcony on the fourth floor of a condominium unit. -- ST PHOTO: SEAH KWANG PENG

By Khushwant Singh

LAST April, a toddler was saved as he was about to fall from a fourth-floor balcony. Two months later, he was not so lucky.

Eric Wong Yu Hao, a year and nine months old, fell to his death after squeezing through the bars of the balcony at a Hillview Green condominium in Upper Bukit Timah.

State Coroner Imran Abdul Hamid, while saying he found that the death was accidental yesterday, urged those who look after young children to check possible dangers in their homes and put in safety measures. He pointed out that there are online groups offering solutions to make homes safe.

"While I don't think anyone can guarantee that the suggested solutions will be 100 per cent effective, at the very least caregivers can have the peace of mind that what could possibly be done to make the home safe for young children, has been done," he said.

This is not new. Media have been reminding parents to watch over potential dangers. These ppl just don't take it lighter. And worst off, putting the child's life upon the maid's hands. Want easy life ?? This result, a lost of precious life. -_-

put wire mesh spoil the original design and look mah :D

....can put transparent upvc acrylic plate...thats how I prevent my neighbor cats from coming into my hse as

I open the wooden door all the time.

Turbocharged

The authority's reply:

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/forum-...rriers-20130404

BCA on death-fall condo's barriers

Published on Apr 04, 2013

WE ARE deeply saddened that a child fell through the balcony grilles at Hillview Green condominium ("Toddler's death: Balcony unsafe?" by Mr Yum Shoen Liang, March 23; and "Toddler's death: Did condo flout building rules?" by Mr Michael Yeo, Tuesday).

Our checks showed that the design of the safety barriers in the condominium complied with the relevant regulatory requirement in 1995, when the building plans were approved.

The Building and Construction Authority (BCA) regularly reviews Singapore's building safety regulations to ensure they are comparable to international standards and, in 2004, the requirements relating to safety barriers for residential buildings were revised.

In addition, in 2007, a new requirement to prevent climbing of safety barriers by small children was introduced.

Such practices and requirements are consistent with those in other countries, such as the United States, Britain and Australia. We will continue to do regular reviews to ensure that the safety requirements for our buildings remain relevant.

Teo Orh Hai

Director, Building Plan and Management

Building and Construction Authority

This is a trick answer. The real message is in what is NOT written.

↡ Advertisement