Baby Formula - it's as hot as property around the world

Wt_know

(edited)

the chinese whack baby formula like no tomorrow around the world

supermarkets around the world particularly HK has to ration the purchase of baby formula ... in this instance ... UK (so far?)

i'm very surprised why the chinese did not whack baby formula in singapore supermarkets huh ... how come?

isn't it cheaper and faster to buy in spore and send to china?

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/baby-form...-095636365.html

Supermarkets in the UK are rationing infant formula due to rising demand in China for foreign-made baby milk.

Danone (Paris: FR0000120644 - news) , the maker of the Aptamil and Cow & Gate brands, said a limit of two packs per transaction had been adopted by retailers "as a precautionary measure to prevent some individuals from bulk buying baby milk formula from retail outlets for commercial purposes".

In a statement, the company added: "We understand that the increased demand is being fuelled by unofficial exports to China to satisfy the needs of parents who want Western brands."

Last month, the Chinese government said nearly 300,000 children had been poisoned by tainted milk products and that six children had died since 2008.

Supermarkets Asda, Sainsbury (LSE: SBRY.L - news) 's, Tesco (Other OTC: TSCDY - news) and Morrisons said the purchase of certain brands would be limited to two units per customer per day.

The scandal in China has led to an increase in demand for imported baby milk, while raising safety fears around the world.

Chinese-made dairy products were banned or recalled from supermarket shelves in several countries.

In February, officials in Hong Kong imposed limits on the amount of formula travellers can bring back to China.

Danone has apologised to British parents for any inconvenience and said it was taking measures, including increasing production of milk, as a result of the situation.

The company also said it would increase supply in China, where many of its brands are available, to meet the rising demand in that market.

Some retail experts believe the baby milk limit is good for British consumers.

The British Retail Consortium director-general Helen Dickinson told Sky News: "I think what we're seeing here is a responsible measure just to make sure milk is available to their typical customers in the UK, and that is exactly what they've done."

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclas...79&cid=1103

Chinese tourists are stuffing their luggage with infant formula when visiting Taiwan, leaving supermarkets and pharmacies in Taipei and Kinmen empty of stock, a legislator for the opposition Democratic Progressive Party legislator claims.

It is very common to see groups of Chinese visitors ambushing pharmacies during their travels, local media reported. Most tourists buy more than one can of infant formula, whether for their own kids or for family and friends back home.

A tour guide said he once saw a whole group of Chinese tourists empty a pharmacy of milk powder, only leaving a few cans which were scratched.

Taiwan increased its imports of infant formula to 1 million cans in 2012, possibly to meet the growing demand from Chinese tourists, DPP legislator Yeh Yi-jin said. A can of 900 grams of milk powder sold in Taiwan for NT$659 (US$22.70) is sold for NT$833 (US$28.70) on Taobao, China's leading online shopping site. The same can of formula retails for US$38.40 at stores in China.

One Chinese tourist passing his luggage through the X-ray machine on Taiwan's outlying island of Kinmen had to declare a batch of 64 infant formula cans in eight boxes, a Coast Guard Administration official said.

In similar cases, international media outlets have reported that Chinese tourists are buying up stocks in Hong Kong, Australia and other parts of Asia.

Australian supermarkets and pharmacies are running out of formula, a phenomenon blamed on Chinese tourists trying to secure their own household supplies, said Hong Kong-based business newspaper the Standard on Jan. 4.

Coles, an Australian supermarket chain, said it is trying to arrange extra shipments of formula, while some pharmacies are rationing sales to a few cans per customer.

Australian media reports said Chinese tourists and residents are buying infant formula in bulk and shipping it home for their families, or selling it online. British online food stores have also seen a massive surge in demand from China in September for formula, the Standard said.

A pharmacy owner said Chinese mothers see foreign brands as trustworthy, unlike domestic brands.

Consumers in the mainland have faces numerous food safety scares with milk powder since the 2008 melamine scandal, in which an industrial chemical was added to powder to boost its apparent protein content, causing 300,000 children to develop kidney stones, with at least six deaths attributable to the contamination. Last year, carcinogens and mercury were also found in food.

Actually I just been to Taipei last year. Baby formula are only found in their pharmacies. Supermarket dun sell any. Weird. As if the milk is some kind of drug.

(edited)

HK is very near to Shenzhen ... can understand the proximity ... hence, many day traders especially hkee ... just buy buy buy and sell after lowu custom

i heard the "trader" now source baby formula as far as europe like in London, France, Germany and not forgetting New Zealand ....

i'm surprised why they did not target Spore ... phew! .... not that i like it happen but curious ... something is unattractive in spore market? GST? LOL ....

Edited by Wt_know

Too many incidents of tainted milk powder. Remember the Chinese milk scandal in 2008? Dunno how many of thousands of babies got hurt.

i know ... that's why the middle class to richie class chinese only buy "imported" baby formula outside china

hence, baby formula is one of the most hotest comodity in china .... buy and sell sure make money

Too many incidents of tainted milk powder. Remember the Chinese milk scandal in 2008? Dunno how many of thousands of babies got hurt.

Actually the Chinese workers in my company also buy a few cans when going home or tom pang friends to bring it home. They told me their health authority is not as kilat as our HSA. You think they not scared.

Too many incident of formula milk go wrong in china. All parents would rather buy from the original source to safeguard their children health. But again it is the rich as the milk powder are so expensive to be imported in China. Even egg also can fake milk powder no kick to them.

Hk has implemented ration card to prevent china ppl from buying.

• Praise 1

Don't tell this to the mainland Chinese!

here they are buying back frequently in cartons to mainland for their baby(sitter).

• Praise 1

Just in march, one of the swiss baby formula european counterparts accused their local manufacturing partners for changing the composition of their product.

as a parent, i can understand why the PRCs are buying formula from all over the world.