Career switch interest vs Boss which one you choose

Giordanogavin

I would like to ask the bro/sis here.

Given a a choice. Would you prefer to work in a job you have more interest in it, knowledge but the boss is more micro manage and demanding OR a job with less interest, less knowledge in it but a reasonable and not so demanding boss.

Assuming both job pay and benefit is the same. Which one u will choose and why? [flowerface]

↡ Advertisement

IMO it largely depends what kind of an employee you are. Are you able to take up a more challenging job? Usually this kind of job you will learn a lot meaning you will be making a lot of mistake and getting a lot of scolding & criticism. Can you take the 'abuse'? What you have learned is for you to keep. Nobody can take that away, not even your boss.

Best is ask yourself. Are you up for a challenging job or a relax job?

Depends whether you are gear more towards career grow or worklife balance, and also your age. Maybe if you are young, you might want to work in job that interest you and knowledge, even boss is demanding etc, cause you treat it as a challenge and gain experience.

If you want a more relax life and focus more on your private activity, maybe you dont mind working job that with less interest and knowledge, cause you are contented to get your salary every month can liao.

Good boss can make you interested in the subject you don't like

Bad boss can make you disinterested in the subject you like

Enuff said

• Praise 1

I always wanted to be an AV actor with lesbo scenes

and I wouldn't mind a demanding boss who make do

the scenes over and over again to make sure I get it right.

:D

Edited by Jamesc

Enuff said

Just thinking how you guys define good boss? Good boss in what areas? Work or personal? [:/]

Given a a choice. Would you prefer to work in a job you have more interest in it, knowledge but the boss is more micro manage and demanding OR a job with less interest, less knowledge in it but a reasonable and not so demanding boss.

Assuming both job pay and benefit is the same. Which one u will choose and why? [flowerface]

Micro manage ur boss if you love your job... [cool]

• Praise 1

left my previous co. becos my boss micromanages.....

new company, not even 2 yrs, just got a promotion and a PB not seen before. current boss believes in our professionalism - even if we did something wrong, will encourage and not blame or mark. really spurs us to give our best and not let him/her down.

but then again, I learnt the ropes with the boss who micromanages - but I couldn't see myself going anywhere after the learning stage.

• Praise 1

It depends on you feel happier when you do something you like more, or when you have more breathing space really.

talk about bosses,

my boss, he so 'bochup' me that I wondering if he even know what I am doing. Sometimes I have to make the intiative to inform him about the progress of the projects I been working for.

My last few conversations (other than the normal good morning) involve him showing me how to apply for some access right to an internal system, & him asking me if I wanted to take a 1-2 weeks break to recovered my foot, & its perfectly ok for him.

Admittedly, I serve the net a little more than I should, haha, but I always deliver what I need to do in time, & when there is serious work/deadline, I can be very focus.

It helps to have supporting collegues. I honestly haven't think about switch job since I moved to my new workplace.

Edited by Kiadaw

Turbocharged

This one is quite straightforward. Go for the good boss.

Jobs are easy to find, good understanding boss however, is hard to come by.

Even a good fitting job will be hell if your boss is bad. Even a great paying job will be sad for 29 days except for that one day during payday.

So no brainer....go for the good boss.

There's a nice saying: You join because of the company. You leave because of the boss.

If you have good evidence that the boss is not great, then don't join that company - things can only get worse from that point on. If, however, all you have is suspicion and hearsay, then you really have nothing to base an important decision on.

Edited by Turboflat4

My boss likes to micro-manage though he often said he doesn't. He went as far as telling which route to take to the customers' sites, what kind of transport on business trips and which shops to patronize.

And every time he boasted that he lets his employees to manage their own work etc..... [laugh]

My director told me the #1 reason people quit a job is due to their immediate boss.

Supercharged

Given a a choice. Winitiate uld you prefer to work in a job you have more interest in it, knowledge but the boss is more micro manage and demanding OR a job with less interest, less knowledge in it but a reasonable and not so demanding boss.

take the job with the good boss.

whether the job is less interest or less knowledge, it is up to you. you can request to do more projects or more responsibilities or initiate new processes to streamline the work.

You can make a job more interesting, but you cannot make a boss a better boss

Supercharged

My director told me the #1 reason people quit a job is due to their immediate boss.

your director is a man of experience

Enuff said

Good employee can be self motivated

Bad employee cannot.

Enuff said?

[rolleyes]

↡ Advertisement