Angry Father

Tricor

Neutral Newbie

Recv this in my inbox, just to share and if it is inappropriate and was posted here b4, could the mod pls delete it, tks

Subject: Angry father

Let me share with you my situation.

My daughter did fairly well in her

↡ Advertisement

i am pro-opposition but this father is just self-centred, and most probably his daughter too !! Anyhow open mouth and shoot ....

I'll be ashamed if my father posted such a one sided rant against the government [dead]

i am pro-opposition but this father is just self-centred, and most probably his daughter too !! Anyhow open mouth and shoot ....

I'll be ashamed if my father posted such a one sided rant against the government [dead]

huh?? why you say that?

But if the same thing happen to you, would you dtill be dancing and singing to the same tune?

Everyone would be like the the father if same thing happen to them.

Once got a B, those high profile courses like medicine & lawyer can forget it.

Its not how good her daugther is. Its how good the rest are.

Somemore got B wana kpkb.......means she is simply not good enough lor.

Not being considered at all means there are tons of straight As applying. So her application goes straight to the bin. Lol. [laugh]

Think I saw this posted in MCF before leh.....

think u saw angry bird.....this was posted as a post in tcss...sammyboy got a thread there [laugh] [laugh]

My elder brother gave up studying medicine for engineering.

His greatest regret in life although now he has a Phd in electrical engineering.

He scored 5 As including all the science subjects and an A2 in GP.

Still he wasn't so sure abt getting into medicine [:p]

I guess it's the competition here more than the suitability.

Hence it's right she seek her passion elsewhere.

I totally sympathise with TS and kudos to him and his wife for making such a huge sacrifice for their daughter.

I can see how the 2 incidents (rejecting local applicant to read medicine and hiring FT doctors) can be seen as linked. But in fact, I don't think it is - at least not directly. One is about placement in NUS school medicine. The other is about fulfilling the current demand for doctors. The intake for the school is probably fixed. And maybe 3A and 1B is simply not good enough and all the places in NUS SOM have already been taken by locals with 4As + 2As in "S" paper. So when there is no more place, then there is no more place. However, if NUS is giving their places to foreign medicine students, that is another matter.

On another note, hospitals - just like any other business - needs to watch their costs too.

I also sympathized with TS. My family also had the same rejection from NUS.

My Bro-in-law wanted to do Chemical engineering in NUS with good A level results but rejected by NUS. He appealed but failed.

In the end, he took up Imperial College for his university study. Just like what TS mentioned.

My parent-in-law mortaged their house to get $$$$ for his overseas study.

How can our GOV reserve so many seats for FT ??? I am not sure if it is becos good income to the NUS???

FT has to pay more $$$$ compare to local.

Edited by Tcx607

Turbocharged

I totally sympathise with TS and kudos to him and his wife for making such a huge sacrifice for their daughter.

I can see how the 2 incidents (rejecting local applicant to read medicine and hiring FT doctors) can be seen as linked. But in fact, I don't think it is - at least not directly. One is about placement in NUS school medicine. The other is about fulfilling the current demand for doctors. The intake for the school is probably fixed. And maybe 3A and 1B is simply not good enough and all the places in NUS SOM have already been taken by locals with 4As + 2As in "S" paper. So when there is no more place, then there is no more place. However, if NUS is giving their places to foreign medicine students, that is another matter.

On another note, hospitals - just like any other business - needs to watch their costs too.

slightly different case..my cousin's dad sold their terrace house and downgraded to a 5-room years back in order to fund him for nus med course.

the merc also turned into a toyota.

so.. not only places for locals, they also need to watch out for the costs too.

huh?? why you say that?

want to rant must got bullets lah ....

1. I got friends who have 6-7As also rejected. Because there are simply too many applicants. So not surprising that the daughter not even interviewed.

2. Foreign doctors were imported because many local medical grads, after serving their bond, LEAVE for private practice & perform botox. Thus creating a dearth of doctors in the public sector.

3. His NS rant.

at the end of the day, I accept he has the right to get angry, but don't post to forum lah.

Regardless of whether the father and his daughter are whiny or feel entitled, at least they are putting money where the mouth is and taking concrete action. A lot of times people either suffer in silence (and begrudge those who take action) or kpkb and do nothing else. So I just wish them the best of luck.

Looking at the bigger picture, if the entry criteria for medicine in Sg is higher than UK or Aus, does that mean the calibre of our local medicine grads is also higher? If we were to lower entry criteria here, I guess it would lower the calibre of local MBBS. However if we were to mass import Docs from countries with "lesser" entry criteria, wouldn't it lower the overall standard of practitioners here as well?

At an even more macro level, getting into NUS / NTU is fairly tough. In fact, both unis are ranked quite highly if you read those international uni guides. How does it feel when after a lifetime of mugging, you get your coveted degree on to realize your company sees you the same as some guy with a degree from some unranked Myanmarese uni?

Howcome imperial college can accept her while our local uni can't with the same grades? Nus rank so much below imperial leh..

Turbocharged

how self centred can it be? if your children is so good at something but is deprive from it and u need to give an arm or leg to help them achieve it, wont u be pissed especially if the reason is crap?

↡ Advertisement