Anyone here drove an Alphard in Japan?

Presea

Hi I'm asking to see if anyone has experienced driving a Toyota Alphard in Japan (specifically in Hokkaido would be good).

As we're headed there in June, I'm curious about how different the model is compared to the version we get here in Singapore...

I need as much luggage space as possible, and as it is, the local version's last row slides forward just enough that I can load the luggage for the six of us....

I'm wondering if the seat configuration (2-2-3) and "configurability" is similar....

Thanks in advance!

↡ Advertisement

Hi I'm asking to see if anyone has experienced driving a Toyota Alphard in Japan (specifically in Hokkaido would be good).

As we're headed there in June, I'm curious about how different the model is compared to the version we get here in Singapore...

I need as much luggage space as possible, and as it is, the local version's last row slides forward just enough that I can load the luggage for the six of us....

I'm wondering if the seat configuration (2-2-3) and "configurability" is similar....

Thanks in advance!

I find it all the same.. to me.. BTW , Vellfire driver here..

Thanks in advance!

Would largely the same as our Vellfire are JDM version. I was contemplating between an Odyssey or StepWgn for one of the trips for 6 adults + luggage. I consulted sggcarmart and went down to Turf city to check out both cars. The StepWgn seems relatively larger. We managed to squeeze everything in after some Tetris moment. We folded one last row seat for luggage and sat 2-3-1. The StepWgn carried us all the way across Akan district in deep winter, no issue. [laugh]

Oddysey and Stepwagon have less "flexibility" and although they are substantially cheaper to rent (about 30-40% less), I didn't want to stinge on space since we are going to be driving for 7 days.

I did contemplate both Hondas initially (as I used to own the 2L Civic and love the vtec engine), but after much research and analysis, I prefer not to do too much tetris with my kids and luggage, since I have 4 young kids including a 10-month old baby.

I used to do that on all our previous road trips - the worst was 10 passengers, 15 pieces of luggage + 2 strollers divided between 2 Subaru Outbacks in Australia over 2 weeks.... packed to the brim :D

The last winter trip (Dec 2011), it was quite tight in the Toyota Allion, from Sapporo to Otaru, Hakodate, Niseko, Toya and then Chitose... but we didn't have the baby then...

The best was a Summer in Kyushu (June 2011) in a Prius... surprisingly spacious despite our 5 pieces of luggage.

I'm just hoping that the drive in the Alphard won't have me falling asleep out of sheer boredom.

Oddysey and Stepwagon have less "flexibility" and although they are substantially cheaper to rent (about 30-40% less), I didn't want to stinge on space since we are going to be driving for 7 days.

I did contemplate both Hondas initially (as I used to own the 2L Civic and love the vtec engine), but after much research and analysis, I prefer not to do too much tetris with my kids and luggage, since I have 4 young kids including a 10-month old baby.

I used to do that on all our previous road trips - the worst was 10 passengers, 15 pieces of luggage + 2 strollers divided between 2 Subaru Outbacks in Australia over 2 weeks.... packed to the brim :D

The last winter trip (Dec 2011), it was quite tight in the Toyota Allion, from Sapporo to Otaru, Hakodate, Niseko, Toya and then Chitose... but we didn't have the baby then...

The best was a Summer in Kyushu (June 2011) in a Prius... surprisingly spacious despite our 5 pieces of luggage.

I'm just hoping that the drive in the Alphard won't have me falling asleep out of sheer boredom.

I am sorry.. it's not boring.. it's quite powerful.. if you opt for the 3.5 . and till date.. for my road trips to Ipoh , KL.. it has been marvellous all along..

The rental only has 2.4.... and Borneo Motors also only has 2.4...worst still with CVT it was not the car for me.But the family does like the interior... they just need to hire a full time driver cause I wouldn't want the 2.4 version to be my daily drive.

Yes.... would consider the 3.5 if the road tax wasn't so high :D :P

But personally I still like the S-Max and Sharan with their 2L turbos :D

The rental only has 2.4.... and Borneo Motors also only has 2.4...worst still with CVT it was not the car for me.But the family does like the interior... they just need to hire a full time driver cause I wouldn't want the 2.4 version to be my daily drive.

Good luck with 2.4L if full load of passenger & luggage.

Eon ago, i rented 2.4L Estima with 7 passenger & luggage that spill all the way to front row seat. The max speed i could drive up an incline is 40km/h.

Supercharged

I find it all the same.. to me.. BTW , Vellfire driver here..

I tot you said you drive a Camry ? [:p]

hahahaha.. 3.5L really steady.. the engine sound.. really turn on.. but the thing is.. 2.4 I find is a bit underpowered.. For Estima is okay.. Alphard 2.4 underpowered..

S-Max and Sharan.. Lose to Alphard big time in terms of space..

I am sorry.. it's not boring.. it's quite powerful.. if you opt for the 3.5 . and till date.. for my road trips to Ipoh , KL.. it has been marvellous all along..

450H or Alphard 3.5? Which one has more power?

I dont know but it could be the same acceleration? Rx450 stated in sgcarmart about 7.8s but not sure bout alphard

Hahaha.. In terms of power. Your RX win coz got extra power from battery. Acceleration wise. I think. Should be same. Or ahfatt slightly slower.

Hahaha.. In terms of power. Your RX win coz got extra power from battery. Acceleration wise. I think. Should be same. Or ahfatt slightly slower.

But which one heavier?

Only 2 Adults, the other 4 passengers are kids (9, 7, 5 years and 10 months old), so they way a combined 80kg :)

So it's more like 3 passengers :D