Higher Layoffs Seen in 2012

HP_Lee

But you need to worry about complains from netizens / WP suporters ! [laugh]

not that stressful right? i mean, just apologize and move on to another ministry lar..

↡ Advertisement

Look for a boss that will empower and treat their people like work partners. [cool]

i was in a big MNC which has oil fields n i thought big coy like this will never have problems. this company started in sg for more than 10 years n hv never ever retrenched anyone before until now. when i joined, i got friends inside n they all were happy working there but soon after, the boss made a serious mistake that costs him his job, so head office decided to pull him down n replace with another 1. the company was growing well but the new boss thinks other wise, she prefers to keep it lean.

my 2nd coy was also a MNC, their business in singapore were limited but their business in head office were very wide, they handle metals, commodities, IT, petrochemicals n lots more. but sad to say, due to higher cost n lower demands in energy, business was bad so they had to cut manpower. there were rumors that claimed that due to change of boss in head office, they had to cut manpower "for show" n will hire again next year.

I retrenched my gf of a few months a few years back. She did not get any retrenchment benefits though :D

That one is called termination with one month notice? :D

i maybe wrong but for finance sector, there r prob equal pple who resign n get retrenched. it can get extremely political n difficult sometimes.

thats y i feel that finance sector is a sunset industry n not the recommended industry to go in for young grads IMO. Almost all bankers i know have a terrible work life balance.

I think is best we got JB buy a plot of land , become farmer and be self sufficient . Singapore every industries so jialat , how to survive ? Even you become papies also can kena hammers. [bigcry]

Actually is no joke , got a forumer here is doing just that , and is doing well and happy about it .

i maybe wrong but for finance sector, there r prob equal pple who resign n get retrenched. it can get extremely political n difficult sometimes.

thats y i feel that finance sector is a sunset industry n not the recommended industry to go in for young grads IMO. Almost all bankers i know have a terrible work life balance.

yeah. i can't stand the inherent instability of the finance industry in general. and from what i hear from ppl inside, money's not as fantastic as others make it out to be unless you're one of those top notch front office bankers.

i was in a big MNC which has oil fields n i thought big coy like this will never have problems. this company started in sg for more than 10 years n hv never ever retrenched anyone before until now. when i joined, i got friends inside n they all were happy working there but soon after, the boss made a serious mistake that costs him his job, so head office decided to pull him down n replace with another 1. the company was growing well but the new boss thinks other wise, she prefers to keep it lean.

my 2nd coy was also a MNC, their business in singapore were limited but their business in head office were very wide, they handle metals, commodities, IT, petrochemicals n lots more. but sad to say, due to higher cost n lower demands in energy, business was bad so they had to cut manpower. there were rumors that claimed that due to change of boss in head office, they had to cut manpower "for show" n will hire again next year.

Did they pay you retrenchment package?

I retrenched my gf of a few months a few years back. She did not get any retrenchment benefits though :D

Well. Consider a norm, nowadays. Even those MNCs have scaled down their golden-handshake benefits. We are now in a very competitive era. Time have changed.

Last week, have just visited a family with 3 children with some basic necessities along. Got to know this through CDAC. The breadwinner was retrenched at his 40s and couldn't get a job after 3 months. [:(]

wow. retrenched twice a year?

no offence. but if you get retrenched once, maybe you're suay. if you get retrenched twice in a year, perhaps it's time to take a good hard look at your own performance....

try govt jobs? more stable and no need worry about foreign talents.

u do not know me n my situation, so do not judge me this way. i know many might think that my performance is a problem that leads to retrenchment but i was not alone when company decided to retrench. n there were other big MNC that had retrenchment exercise n also a few smaller companies too. there were 13 of us retrenched in my first coy n i heard there might b another retrenchment coming, some of my ex-colleagues had packed their things in the box, prepared for the day to come. 1 of the colleague who got retrenched, he was the earliest to reach office n latest to go home everyday, even coming back on weekends to work. he is not that kind that works too slow n therefore needs to work longer hours, he just prefers to come back to office to work instead of working from home.

my second coy had 8 of us retrenched including the driver n had the coy car sold. some expats were sent back to head office, some expats from other branches were also sent back to head office. the office had to cut into half n rent out the other half to save more money. my whole dept were closed down, not only me in the dept.

honestly, i really am not the kind that is work smart or stay very late everyday but i had never made a serious mistakes during my stay there

do u still think that it's my problem being retrenched?

Edited by Otacon

I heard that a lot of good company actually move back work because of lean production.

some how i feel that lean production only look good on paper.

That one is called termination with one month notice? :D

so during the one month, still got perform her duties or not?

I think is best we got JB buy a plot of land , become farmer and be self sufficient . Singapore every industries so jialat , how to survive ? Even you become papies also can kena hammers. [bigcry]

Actually is no joke , got a forumer here is doing just that , and is doing well and happy about it .

u mean someone really became a farmer in m'sia? and grow crops for own consumption?

Well. Consider a norm, nowadays. Even those MNCs have scaled down their golden-handshake benefits. We are now in a very competitive era. Time have changed.

Last week, have just visited a family with 3 children with some basic necessities along. Got to know this through CDAC. The breadwinner was retrenched at his 40s and couldn't get a job after 3 months. [:(]

so, did u advise the guy to find another job where the boss will empower him?

so, did u advise the guy to find another job where the boss will empower him?

why did u quote porker's comment? i dun see the link leh [confused]

Edited by Wyfitms

u mean someone really became a farmer in m'sia? and grow crops for own consumption?

i know a singie who has a place in JB area n has small plantation. Every wkend go back eat fresh fruits n sell some to d mkts LOL

issue w having a farm is that u have to go back frequently unless got someone trusted there to take care of d land.

i believe d bird farm at desaru is owned by singie too.

As an investment, it prob a good long term inflation hedge if got spare cash lying ard

my second coy had 8 of us retrenched including the driver n had the coy car sold. some expats were sent back to head office, some expats from other branches were also sent back to head office. the office had to cut into half n rent out the other half to save more money. my whole dept were closed down, not only me in the dept.

i know some expats kena package cut etc liao lor... used to stay in GCB now renew rental have to move to smaller apts lol

If commodity prices are anything to signal,we are in for a short term deflationary period before things ramp up again later. Look at copper, gold n oil, all dieded for now. As a result, im not surprised when pple start to look at property here n wonder if its really worth worrying abt future inflation when yields are so tight n local inflation is declining. Best part is justintime for big housing supply next few yrs lol

I look forward to buying a second hand 2012 car with high COE

at a low price. But I just don't think its going to happen.

:D

Unless you buy from a direct seller, the benefit will be ciaked by the 2nd hand car shop liao...

↡ Advertisement