Single vs Double overhead cam

Panhard

Hi guys,

My very good buddy buying either the vios or city.Engine wise, vios is DOHC & city SOHC.

Which should he opt for.

Edited by Panhard
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hi guys,

My very good buddy buying either the vois or city.Engine wise, vois is DOHC & city SOHC.

Which should he opt for.

DOHC usually better than SOHC but maintenance a bit higher.

But both cars r good. Ask him to go testdrive n see which one he likes better in terms of comfort...space...handling...n price.

• Praise 1

I don't see why maintenance is higher. It's not like you would need to replace the camshafts at any point of ownership, unless you are doing taxi-like mileage.

• Praise 1

I don't see why maintenance is higher. It's not like you would need to replace the camshafts at any point of ownership, unless you are doing taxi-like mileage.

Hahaha. U go ws n ask why.

Anyway twincam adjustments n gaskets etc cost more lah. And if u need to replace any parts....it wil cost more.

But fr most....its worth getting twincam cos of performance.

Plus if v tec....twincam can hv even more power n economy cos in n out valves hv better control.

(edited)

On paper, the DOHC vois delivers 107 horses while the city has 120 with the SOHC. Vois- 4 speed autoCity- 5 speed auto

Test drive reveals the new vios a little quieter

Edited by Panhard

On paper, the DOHC vois delivers 107 horses while the city has 120 with the SOHC.

HP is good fr flat out driving. Torque makes e car easier n more shiok to drive around. [rolleyes]

Also engine design plays a part.

cant say much about vios, but I'm a city driver for 3 years and it has given me 0 problems (maybe still waiting for the 4th/5th year to zibaboom haha). TS let me know if u need any comments on city. buying a car should be more than just DOHC vs SOHC right haha

Edited by Ishiwgao
  • Praise 1

HP is good fr flat out driving. Torque makes e car easier n more shiok to drive around. [rolleyes]

Also engine design plays a part.

Also car weight.

Engine size is a factor right? If it's 1L light car, isn't it better with DOHC so it won't struggle at highway.

Both work on the same concept which is variable valve timing on the intake valves. When there's more load the intake valves will open bigger and longer to allow more air into the A/F mixture to produce more power.

Honda uses more moving parts on a single cam shaft to control the intake and exhaust valves. The functions are pretty much the same as Toyota's DOHC. Anyway more important in the variable valve timing dan the number of overhead cams. Both are similar in efficiency.

On paper, the DOHC vois delivers 107 horses while the city has 120 with the SOHC. Vois- 4 speed autoCity- 5 speed auto

Test drive reveals the new vios a little quieter

U sure the New Vios more quiet?? It's known to be more noisy than the previous model.. Hence I din buy it.

City definitely would be a more powerful contender except for the paper thin body. Honda are good with their engines but I dun see much from the Toyota side.

• Praise 1

SOHC fares better than DOHC on low end throttle response which makes for better city driving

Means better FC?

cant say much about vios, but I'm a city driver for 3 years and it has given me 0 problems (maybe still waiting for the 4th/5th year to zibaboom haha). TS let me know if u need any comments on city. buying a car should be more than just DOHC vs SOHC right haha

Ya agree! Was. Looking at both specs sheet, noticed the difference on these areas.

How do you find the QC of Thai made cars?

(edited)

At what RPM were these max hp achieved?

City : 120/6600, vios : 107/6000.

Kerb wight: city: 1130kg, Vios: 1045kg

Edited by Panhard

U sure the New Vios more quiet?? It's known to be more noisy than the previous model.. Hence I din buy it.

City definitely would be a more powerful contender except for the paper thin body. Honda are good with their engines but I dun see much from the Toyota side.

My buddy is leaning more towards the city than the vios.

Maybe someone can share on built quality of "tom yam" cars

My buddy is leaning more towards the city than the vios.

Maybe someone can share on built quality of "tom yam" cars

If compared "Tom Yam" to "Tom Yam", go for the Honda.. But its slightly more ex than the Toyota. N I think the City handles better than the Vios. Cos I known of more Vios flipping over than the City.

↡ Advertisement