Getting a domestic helper

Donut

Supercharged

Planning to get domestic helper, prefer Filipino.

Anyone has recommendation of an agency?

↡ Advertisement

a word of warning 1st, have one the very first minute and your house becomes an instant atm, regardless of nationality.

I ,my friends, relatives all are living examples. -_-

Do consider highly educated maids from Myanmar.Maid's salary here is so much more than local teachers and university graduate's pay.

Supercharged

Do consider highly educated maids from Myanmar.Maid's salary here is so much more than local teachers and university graduate's pay.

Mynanmar helpers, can they effectively interact with family members ?

yes they can and more humble type.some gave up teaching job to work as domestic helper in Sg, for higher pay here.

Dont go for indo maid. They are the worst of the lot. Most of them come here totally untrain. Duno how to cook n care for kids. My family have gone through 5 maids in 5 years. None can tahan the full 2 years. Once they work enough and start to earn salary outright.......the pattern more than badminron all will cum. We keep lowering our expectation with each changing maid. Bear min requirements liao. Sianz to the max.

If possible try not to employ foreign maid.

Getting a good one is extremely rare.

I have gone through 5 maids, only 1 is good.

It is like a gamble.

If must have maids, it is best to have someone at home all the time ( mother or mother in law ) to supervise or else all hell break loose.

Supercharged

Dont go for indo maid. They are the worst of the lot. Most of them come here totally untrain. Duno how to cook n care for kids. My family have gone through 5 maids in 5 years. None can tahan the full 2 years. Once they work enough and start to earn salary outright.......the pattern more than badminron all will cum. We keep lowering our expectation with each changing maid. Bear min requirements liao. Sianz to the max.

thanks for alerting me abt the wrong folder. [laugh]

I try to avoid indo ones too. chances of getting a really good indo is very rare, though I have success stories in my family members.

Supercharged

mine was myanmar and can converese well in english..

can recommend your agency? Will cut throat or not?

can recommend your agency? Will cut throat or not?

My maid had a abortion and I have to sent her back...

I wish not to sabo you... -_-

Do you have anyone else in the household while your Mrs and you are at work? If no then better not.

Totally agree. Unsupervised maid with small children is like driving w/o seat belt & brakes. Very unsafe.

(edited)

Planning to get domestic helper, prefer Filipino.

Anyone has recommendation of an agency?

First, you need to "define the job scope for the maid".

If you need a maid to take care of elderly, fine (provided there's another adult at home to "take care" of the maid). But, then, this defeats the purpose of maid right? [laugh]

If you need a maid for general housework, suggest you DIY and share the load with your partner or kids.

A lot of people are tempted by utilizing the maid for both housework and taking care of children as it's cheaper compared to outsourcing child care to childcare professional PLUS can come home with a cleaned house.

Edited by Kangadrool

Supercharged

Newborn on the way la. The helper will be supervised by family member. She won't be alone with baby.

In fact, I plan for the helper not to mind the newborn yet. She will just focus on house cleaning, laundry and other work. Newborn will be looked after by family member for awhile first. I let the helper have more time to settle down first adjust herself to my family environment, before I entrust baby to her.

Turbocharged
(edited)

It's very much dependent on your luck to get a good maid. Nationalities not so much the issue, as usual, the individual personality and motivation is important.

It's good to get a maid who is educated, can comm well... but can also lead to problems. You'll find your maid reading the recruit/classifieds section of the newspapers [laugh] And may even be more clever than some of your family members.

You also have to get used to having a stranger at home, and it's not so secure anymore.

Congrats on the newborn. It's a good idea not to let the maid handle too much because babies will be at the bonding stage now, so parents need to spend more time with it.

Edited by Sosaria

For me, we got a confinement lady for a month. Wife takes care of baby until she returns work 3 months later, then outsourced to baby sitter. Same with second baby.

It's much more expensive this way and you still need to work out the housework. Tough, but bearable.

We can bear with dirty windows and all that. Only floor is vacuumed and mopped twice a week.

A lot of people have been advising me to get a maid to take care of the kids and at the same time housework which is far cheaper with the benefit of a cleaned house everyday.

It all depends on what you want.

I guess we are very lucky when it comes to employing a maid after hearing all those horrible stories about their maid. We used to have a Filippino maid to take care of my my mum who had some difficulties moving around.

Communication is perfect for the family as she speaks Malay to my mum and English to the rest of the family members! Not only can she take good care of my mum, she kept the house very clean as well. In fact I have to tell her not to mop the floor and clean the windows everyday! [laugh]

What surprised me was the kind of bond she built up with the family especially my mum within such a short period of time while taking care of her. My mum taught her how to cook and it didn't take her long to learn all my mum's cooking and starts cooking for the family!

During the period that my mum was regularly warded. She would visit her everyday on her own bringing home cook food for her and accompany her in hospital. She seems to be the most sad when my mum pass away after a long struggle with her illness and requested to terminate her contract earlier as she couldn't face the house anymore without my mum. [:)]

↡ Advertisement