Getting a domestic helper

Donut

After 11 years of getting maids (total a change of abt 5), I have "see broken" liao...

Their salary has been increasing but standards has been dropping. The worst is agency starts to charge sky high $$$ for their fees so I end up DIY the paperwork and sourcing for a maid. To date, it is still not easy to have a stranger in the house. Must really give & take a lot...

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic
(edited)

if maid just do house work, then i recommend that your automate your home cleaning processes with:

1) irobot roomba - vacuum

2) irobot scooba - mop

3) high pressure jet - wash toilet

4) electical vacuum flask

5) clothes dryer

only thing very difficult to automate is iron clothes

as a whole, your capital expenditure is high and electricity bill also high but overall still cheaper than maid

i had 5 maids for 9 years liao

i had been wanting to get rid of maid liao

luckly my miad gave me a very serious problem (lazy to say), so i could get rid of the maid without any objections from mum and wife

then i took out my irobots to work

my mum was impressed with the irobot (she could concentrate on cooking for the kids while irobot dl all the hard work!)

now i getting the irobot scooba

oh yah i forgot, use ntuc supermarket online like amazon like that to buy things so you dont waste time going to supermarket

they charge $7 per trip, so you buy fornightly or monthly lor

those fresh meat, vege type, vary hard to automate, still need to go market on sunday

Edited by Mustank
  • Praise 1

Can someone help my buddy translate his Philippines helper text

The helper request to go home in april but he needs to know if she coming back or not

post-131345-0-97464600-1511519299_thumb.png

• Praise 3

Sometime ago we got a maid who is in her late 20's. After a month working for us, we found she started to transform.

She started to wear sleeveless T shirts and low cut. Shorts that are even shorter than shorts showing butts. Later, she started going braless. It came to a point despite requesting proper dressing she did not take the advice and continued. We barred her from going out except weekends.

It came to a point where we were so uncomfortable that we had to bring her to see a psychiatrist. Later we found that she was raped while in transit coming to Singapore and was suffering from delusion / revenge / depression. We got her treated with medication and after 6 months she wanted to return home. So we release her but she told us not to tell her family the reasons as she still needs to pay the high commission in coming to Singapore to work.

• Praise 4
  • Dislike 1

Sometime ago we got a maid who is in her late 20's. After a month working for us, we found she started to transform.

She started to wear sleeveless T shirts and low cut. Shorts that are even shorter than shorts showing butts. Later, she started going braless. It came to a point despite requesting proper dressing she did not take the advice and continued. We barred her from going out except weekends.

It came to a point where we were so uncomfortable that we had to bring her to see a psychiatrist. Later we found that she was raped while in transit coming to Singapore and was suffering from delusion / revenge / depression. We got her treated with medication and after 6 months she wanted to return home. So we release her but she told us not to tell her family the reasons as she still needs to pay the high commission in coming to Singapore to work.

For the person who gave me the dislike and wrote that it is a fairy tale, I would like to say this you and if I can in your face. 

Just because you are living in a safe environment there are many who suffer mental and physical torture just to get a job here in Singapore or anywhere in the world. Please do not belittle these human beings who did what they do to support their families through these sacrifices.

When the next recession and depression comes let see just how many of us will risk of ourselves to find money to keep our families going or will we be too coward and just have suicidal thoughts.

What upset me most is not the dislike but to think there are people here who have the same mentally that thinks elderly with bent backs picking cupboards for a few cents are doing for the pleasure of exercise or all prostitutes are just selling their bodies to buy LV bags. I may add that these are the people with little more money will demand 6 star service from a waitress in a small restaurant.

Just how do we become a gracious society. Actually, I am not upset but feel really sorry for what our society is becoming.

Edited by Ash2017
  • Praise 8

A lot of losers like to do anonymous dislike.. very small balls one.. don’t let them affect you.

I hope they will dislike me for saying them SMALL BALLS

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

Supersonic

For the person who gave me the dislike and wrote that it is a fairy tale, I would like to say this you and if I can in your face.

Just because you are living in a safe environment there are many who suffer mental and physical torture just to get a job here in Singapore or anywhere in the world. Please do not belittle these human beings who did what they do to support their families through these sacrifices.

When the next recession and depression comes let see just how many of us will risk of ourselves to find money to keep our families going or will we be too coward and just have suicidal thoughts.

What upset me most is not the dislike but to think there are people here who have the same mentally that thinks elderly with bent backs picking cupboards for a few cents are doing for the pleasure of exercise or all prostitutes are just selling their bodies to buy LV bags. I may add that these are the people with little more money will demand 6 star service from a waitress in a small restaurant.

Just how do we become a gracious society. Actually, I am not upset but feel really sorry for what our society is becoming.

Just ignore la.

Feel sad for our society also no use.

The rot starts from the very top.

• Praise 1

OMG! Luckily you brought her to the psychiatrist. Must have cost you a lot. Hope she's fine now.

Was she good looking type?

Imo don't get those chio ones.

They will go out make friends

• Praise 1

if maid just do house work, then i recommend that your automate your home cleaning processes with:

1) irobot roomba - vacuum

2) irobot scooba - mop

3) high pressure jet - wash toilet

4) electical vacuum flask

5) clothes dryer

only thing very difficult to automate is iron clothes

Very good suggestions above by Mustank.

I have 2 kids now in primary, both myself and wife working full-time since kids were born. No domestic help, just the 4 of us. Grandparents only help nanny them on weekends (Sat) so that we can catch a breather. It's tiring for the first few years, but likely much less complicated without a domestic helper around. Chores need to be incorporated into your daily routines, so it doesn't feel so tedious after some time. Split the chores with your wife, then stick to the assigned chores for LIFE (unless MC). Where able to automate, then automate as Mustank suggested. As for ironing, just try to buy clothes that don't require it  [:p] and/or iron your own clothes (i.e. tell wife she need not iron your clothes, as you will do it yourself).

Domestic labour in most of human history is usually only afforded by the most attas SES, and/or in societies with massively disproportionate power and wealth. Today, live-in domestic help has become affordable to "everybody" largely due to the huge economic disparities compared to neighbouring countries. This is an abnormality and does not bode well for our society at large. If all domestic workers went on strike tomorrow, then the trickle effect will create serious interruptions in the system. Since when is domestic help an essential service? It would be embarrassing.

• Praise 3

Very good suggestions above by Mustank.

I have 2 kids now in primary, both myself and wife working full-time since kids were born. No domestic help, just the 4 of us. Grandparents only help nanny them on weekends (Sat) so that we can catch a breather. It's tiring for the first few years, but likely much less complicated without a domestic helper around. Chores need to be incorporated into your daily routines, so it doesn't feel so tedious after some time. Split the chores with your wife, then stick to the assigned chores for LIFE (unless MC). Where able to automate, then automate as Mustank suggested. As for ironing, just try to buy clothes that don't require it [:p] and/or iron your own clothes (i.e. tell wife she need not iron your clothes, as you will do it yourself).

Domestic labour in most of human history is usually only afforded by the most attas SES, and/or in societies with massively disproportionate power and wealth. Today, live-in domestic help has become affordable to "everybody" largely due to the huge economic disparities compared to neighbouring countries. This is an abnormality and does not bode well for our society at large. If all domestic workers went on strike tomorrow, then the trickle effect will create serious interruptions in the system. Since when is domestic help an essential service? It would be embarrassing.

All the above still ok

Just don’t buy the scooba

Very lousy

• Praise 2

Supercharged

Very sad to hear...good she din take more extreme actions and hope she recover...
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1