Suspect wheel bearing problem. Any workshop to recommend?

Fivegear

Bro, its for front. 1 side only.

Mileage is about 130,000km.

Mine is a 2008 Forester. Subaru SH9

Tks bro!

loud noise. like helicopter, woon woon woon. .

normally most workshop standard way of checking is jack up your car put to free, then spin the wheel, and feel for vibration.

if the bearing is damage or broken, the vibration will transmit to the shock absorber, for example. u can feel it quite easily.

but there are cases when u wont feel any thing also, :)

Then it should b better to wait for Wong Wong Wong sound.
↡ Advertisement

My car is a Subaru Forester.

Cost $250.

Car very noisy once past 60kmh.

Sounds like though rev very hard, but when I look at my tacho, is below 2,000rpm.

That's the symptom of my faulty wheel bearing.

Wow $250 just for 1 side front wheel bearing. Seems very expensive. [sweatdrop]

Am I missing something? [confused]

Neutral Newbie

I just changed my wheel bearing at Rui Chuan.

spacer.gifAddress : Blk 3006 Ubi Road 1 #01-340 S(408700)

Phone : 67474143

http://www.sgcarmart.com/directory/merchant.php?MID=12693

My car is a Subaru Forester.

Cost $250.

Car very noisy once past 60kmh.

Sounds like though rev very hard, but when I look at my tacho, is below 2,000rpm.

That's the symptom of my faulty wheel bearing.

Check this out http://wbsoul2006.wix.com/wheelbearingsolution

You will be surprise that skf actually buys ntn; nsk; koyo automotive bearings and packed into their own branding box and resale and price them higher because its 'skf'

Edited by AhBao9388

Wow $250 just for 1 side front wheel bearing. Seems very expensive. [sweatdrop]

Am I missing something? [confused]

possible if genuine parts as it may cost up to $200..

I check with minghee for my car, original Mitsubishi is near $200, eom only $100+.

Labour also not cheap easily $50 as needs to remove wheel hub to take out the bearing. It's a part that may not need replacement for 200,000km mileage, or if unlucky, low mileage also kanna. I kanna right front at 80k mileage.

Edited by Chucky2007

You will be surprise that skf actually buys ntn; nsk; koyo automotive bearings and packed into their own branding box and resale and price them higher because its 'skf'

SKF is made in Germany.

Maybe need to check pkg that it says SKF for real SKF.

last time SKF is all made in Germany. Now I also dun know.

possible if genuine parts as it may cost up to $200..

I check with minghee for my car, original Mitsubishi is near $200, eom only $100+.

Labour also not cheap easily $50 as needs to remove wheel hub to take out the bearing. It's a part that may not need replacement for 200,000km mileage, or if unlucky, low mileage also kanna. I kanna right front at 80k mileage.

Like that just use OEM lah. 1/2 price.

of course oem.. Recently 110k km servicing change water pump, also use oem, 40% cheaper

actually orig is just add the brand of the ride to oem one isit?

for my case, shock absorber oem 80 but is mfg for hyundai.

loud noise. like helicopter, woon woon woon. .

normally most workshop standard way of checking is jack up your car put to free, then spin the wheel, and feel for vibration.

if the bearing is damage or broken, the vibration will transmit to the shock absorber, for example. u can feel it quite easily.

but there are cases when u wont feel any thing also, :)

hmm..my ride when i accelerate,it's as if i'm on a motorboat.that constant low humming sound.and the faster i go,the louder it will get.to the average driver,feels shiok coz like changed to performance exhaust.

is it a wheel bearing problem too? mileage hitting 190K.

hmm..my ride when i accelerate,it's as if i'm on a motorboat.that constant low humming sound.and the faster i go,the louder it will get.to the average driver,feels shiok coz like changed to performance exhaust.

what did yr workshop say? 190k mileage quite a number of parts may need replacement

Neutral Newbie

Go to the WS and check if it is wheel bearing problems. If happens to be the wheel bearing problem, get a quote first, Buy the bearings and get them to change it, should be able to save some $$.

See if you need more info.

Cheers

actually orig is just add the brand of the ride to oem one isit?

for my case, shock absorber oem 80 but is mfg for hyundai.

This one not always the case.

Sometimes Manufacturer has a higher specs for the part. Under OEM it might b lower specs though but not always the case.

But getting OEM sud b very safe cos the standard n quality is very close to Original.

My Optra shocks Original much more ex but I see the part, Original looks much stronger n heavier built but I use OEM for a few years till now no problemsa t all.

But savings is abt $60 ea.shock (OEM$70 n Original is $130) so I think worth it to get OEM. [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

Are you very sure of what you said? Because I don't think so, usually if you are going to get automotive bearings, just use Japanese brand because they are well known for it.

Are you very sure of what you said? Because I don't think so, usually if you are going to get automotive bearings, just use Japanese brand because they are well known for it.

Of coz very sure of what I said. im in the trade. It may not be very known over here asia.

But normally SKF package them and sells them as a kit (hub bearing; grease etc) over to Europe side.

The conti cars are more popular with such kits but not the Japanese car.

For bearings pricing, just a phone call away to all the bearings shop in Singapore. you will be surprise on the price difference.

Edited by AhBao9388
  • Praise 1

Hi. What is the symptoms like to know is wheel bearing faulty?

kinda like a low-pitch growling, that only becomes apparent from moderate speeds onwards. it can be more conclusively diagnosed when you jack up the car, free spin the wheel, and is able to feel vibrations by holding on to the shock absorber attached to that wheel.

A friend of mine went to the ws and checked and found out that his Honda Stream have rear wheel bearing problem, bought 2 hub wheel bearings @ S$100 each and ask the ws mechanic to replace. Labour around S$60 for one side, total cost S$320.

Mechanic said if buy genuine parts (original) from AD, the hub bearings alone will cost around S$ 200+ a piece.

Quite worth the trouble going through to save $$.

↡ Advertisement