Between Hyundai Elantra and Toyota Altis.....

Dechachng

(edited)

Err... Bro, i used to worked for a major German gearbox/steering manufacturer here in Sg for 5 years.

The only person driving a conti was my MD at that point of time.

My managers all driving either Jap or korean even though they can afford a conti.

Not trying to prove anything but the monthly sales of gearbox and steering parts are.... :D

My preference now is, japanese first, Conti last.

No flames ok... just my personal preference though i can still get special price for parts from Exx Sxxn, Xxx Zxxxx and a few other traders [:)]

Dude no worries , it is the same as the amount of cars in various makes , the jap makes has being top in sales for the past 7 out 10 so it is no surprise why . To me certain MIJ cars are just simple and lower maintenance as they don't really require much attention but it doesn't mean they won't spoil , just at a lower rate as compare to contis.

On your MD driving a conti , My boss drives a porky so i basically can get to drive whatever i want. I used to drive accord/fit to work , my team drives better cars than me , doesn't matter to me. That said , i have a choice in what i drive , my preference is best if it is problem free.

That said , if he cycles to work at times , does it mean i need to walk?

Edited by CH_CO
↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Depends on how the person thinks. Some people I know who don't care about brand chose MIK over Conti in the end. But then I also know many who will rather get a lower end conti than to get a MIK cuz they say they cannot drive MIK as their subordinate also driving MIK.

Actually , then the coy culture isn't good. It doesn't promote empowerment and delegation as the workers are worried about "offending" the boss due to the cars they drive? I used to drive a fit to work when many of my subordinates are driving contis and larger cars. I don't see why i should be offended or that i should better them? My boss cycles to work at times.

I don't see how i can delegate the job to the best person on the job , when i need to be the "best" on that job as i am concerned that i need to better them or if they are worried of offending me when they might outdo me? It doesn't work this way.

That said , many Asian culture have this face value thing which i am guilty at times to certain people but never to fellow workers.

Edited by CH_CO

(edited)

This phenomena is also quite evident in MIK supporters where they rarely push down contis even though they are certain makes which are less reliable. The same way that they do not try to better those whom they deem are their superior but never fail to backstab their fellow workers (MIJ makes).

To me i always maintain the fact certain MIJ are still more reliable than many contis(even though i am driving one) due to their simple designs and lower use of electronics. I rarely hear MIK saying how good their MIK overall as compared to a similar priced conti currently.

Conti are pretty and wow for a start on the automatic features and stuff but when they fail eventually it would be a pain in the ass. Personally i still prefer my accord to my merc.

Edited by CH_CO

Twincharged

Actually , then the coy culture isn't good. It doesn't promote empowerment and delegation as the workers are worried about "offending" the boss due to the cars they drive? I used to drive a fit to work when many of my subordinates are driving contis and larger cars. I don't see why i should be offended or that i should better them? My boss cycles to work at times.

I don't see how i can delegate the job to the best person on the job , when i need to be the "best" on that job as i am concerned that i need to better them or if they are worried of offending me when they might outdo me? It doesn't work this way.

That said , many Asian culture have this face value thing which i am guilty at times to certain people but never to fellow workers.

It isn't the workers that are worried. Its the boss who is worried people see him driving MIK when his subordinates also support MIK. So he ended up getting a cheap conti although he considered the i45 before.

(edited)

It isn't the workers that are worried. Its the boss who is worried people see him driving MIK when his subordinates also support MIK. So he ended up getting a cheap conti although he considered the i45 before.

As i said face value is pretty evident in most asian cultures. Given the current price i won't really think of getting a MIK as it is too expensive currently similarly i won't consider a thai made altis as well. Given that the newer models are unproven due to their short history , there is little to prove their reliability , the previous avante was pretty reliable until they decided to change it again(though i don't understand why they need to keep changing models if the model is good). I am pretty sure , as time proves themselves in the future , the impression of them would be better. My parents and those older folk would not consider MIKs given current prices as they had bad impression of ponies , if one had good experience in a certain make , they tend to support them. It is the same in toyotas for my parents.

Anyway , my opinion is for the same amount of money , i can easily get a 2nd hand conti of a better quality and comfort and a higher scrap value , might not be as reliable as certain makes but it really depends on what people are looking. I would definitely not consider a cheap conti just because i am concerned with how people look at me. That said i am driving a cheap conti though lol , bought it for a good price.

Edited by CH_CO

Supersonic

Err... Bro, i used to worked for a major German gearbox/steering manufacturer here in Sg for 5 years.

The only person driving a conti was my MD at that point of time.

My managers all driving either Jap or korean even though they can afford a conti.

Not trying to prove anything but the monthly sales of gearbox and steering parts are.... :D

My preference now is, japanese first, Conti last.

No flames ok... just my personal preference though i can still get special price for parts from Exx Sxxn, Xxx Zxxxx and a few other traders [:)]

Some company culture is you cannot drive nicer and bigger car than MD or managers if your position is manager and below. Or some company if they are japanese company, they dont really like their staff to drive korean cars. [rolleyes]

I would say ELANTRA. More efficent engine. Tuff body. Good handling. More features. Maintenance and repairs cheaper. Insurance also cheaper if you do your homework b4 buying.

I would have bhought one if they came in M/T.

Altis....probably just the gd resale value.

Turbocharged

Buy Altis only for 2 reasons; reliability and resale value. Period. Nothing else... If want others criteria like design, drivability, etc, look elsewhere... I do agree elantra is a better choice Btw these 2 but this was started many mths ago before mazda3 arrival... Go test mazda3 and compare again...

Oops, maybe I should not keep singing about mz3, later people think I'm Mazda agent... Hehehe....

(edited)

I would say ELANTRA. More efficent engine. Tuff body. Good handling. More features. Maintenance and repairs cheaper. Insurance also cheaper if you do your homework b4 buying.

I would have bhought one if they came in M/T.

Altis....probably just the gd resale value.

If you want MT gear, in Singapore only QQ available Edited by Quantum

got others lah like Suzuki Slow, newly launched MB Citan (rebadged Kangoo).

If you want MT gear, in Singapore only QQ available

got others lah like Suzuki Slow, newly launched MB Citan (rebadged Kangoo).

interesting to see if the citan sells well. the new liteace and hiace looks good too.

Supersonic

Buy Altis only for 2 reasons; reliability and resale value. Period. Nothing else... If want others criteria like design, drivability, etc, look elsewhere... I do agree elantra is a better choice Btw these 2 but this was started many mths ago before mazda3 arrival... Go test mazda3 and compare again...

Oops, maybe I should not keep singing about mz3, later people think I'm Mazda agent... Hehehe....

Sometimes really hard to make a choice between new altis, mazda 3, k3 and facelift elantra. I find all are nice. But noticed the facelifted elantra, the air con become conventional knob button instead of the pre-facelift digital?
  • Praise 1

Sometimes really hard to make a choice between new altis, mazda 3, k3 and facelift elantra. I find all are nice. But noticed the facelifted elantra, the air con become conventional knob button instead of the pre-facelift digital?

Tested all these car you mention...

my view

Altis: Build wise better than Kimchi car but lose to Maz 3... Feature wise comparable to K3 Premium one. Handling is good! very comfortable drive! But price is the highest right now @ 137k for guarantee bid of 70K COE rebate and 128k @ 60k COE rebate

Maz 3: very good build, handling the best, engine smallest but power is good if you comparing to 1.5l car but sadly it is the most sad part of the car comparing to the rest. Pick up wise this is slower as compare even to altis... the 7 speed cvt really impress me... OMV high too mean high resale value. This car have the best outlook, very sporty! but rear seat is abit small, not becos of leg room but head room and the seat width... selling at 113k which is feel is a good deal for such car!

K3: Build wise is good, i think it is even better than elantra surprisingly... drive like a conti, car feel like conti but very plastic. look is good too! A 115k for premium model. i think it a but exp, but the 105k standard model, it looks like a decent deal. Both COE rebate @ 65k

Elantra: I tot it would be better than K3 but not... handling the same, same engine (Dual CVVT 1.6 @ 130bhp), interior design is very similar to K3. but the overall build and feature K3 feel better! Elite model pricing at 110k and Standard mode pricing at 104k where both coe rebate @60k... i dun noe this will be a good deal or not.

if you ask me, i will take either maz 3 or K3 in term of value of money.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

For me depends which area i am looking for, if based on what most people mindset here, i would go for 1st choice altis and 2nd choice mazda 3 for obvious reasons. I always think no matter how well built and good specs that korean cars have, afterall people still view it as korean cars with lower quality, realiablity and resale value as compared with jap cars.

But if i choose based on design, specs and pricing. I would go for k3 or elantra. Quite a difficult decision to choose between k3 or elantra, cause both cars i also like.

Turbocharged

If base on these 4, my choice would be in order of mz3,k3,altis,elantra... If place sylphy in, it would be infront of Altis..

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

for me, i think Sylphy or K3. Maz 3 just not really pro family vehicle...

Yah, mz3 rear has the smallest room.... Even a short man like me at 161mm find it hard to move from left to right on the rear seats due to that stupid protruding center console and hump....

↡ Advertisement