Lithium battery - Fire hazards in our cars

I cannot comment on the risks of Honda's Li-ion battery cos I do not know much of it.

Such battery are more complex comprising of multi-cells with more protection in the design than the usual single cell used in a small device like car dvr. They need to be well certified by automotive standards and passed stringent testings. But so was the Boeing battery...

I would just say, if you need to get a Lithium battery, get one from a reputable source with safety certifications (e.g. UL1642). At least this will greatly reduce the risk. And don't be an early adopter if you cannot take risks.

Thanks. [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement

Guys, do not be too alarm in using Lithium batteries. Today they are much more safer and still improving. My purpose here is just to highlight the real hazards so that you know what are the mitigations you can adopt to avoid catastrophic outcomes.

I myself have 2 DVRs in my car with built-in Lithium batteries. I only need them on while driving. My car is parked outdoors in my workplace. Nowadays, i park under a tree for shade even though i get more leaves and bird poo. Risk is not eliminated but probability is reduced. Next, i will try to see if I can remove the batteries, since i have no use for them to operate while parked.

Good read, but I think probability wise,

Hit and run > Tree fall > battery fire.

I think what we can do is to 1) avoid no brand MIC cams, 2) get those that they actually put the specs of the camera up to 75 or 80 degree celcius (I read some cams only up to 60 degrees, not really suitable for Singapore/Malaysia conditions), 3) try to park multistorey carparks away from sun. (if under the tree, make sure it is super steady [;)] )

Think those small little lithium batts in your DVRs are bad?

Next few hybrids will use full-sized lithium batts to power your vehicles!

(edited)

Think those small little lithium batts in your DVRs are bad?

Next few hybrids will use full-sized lithium batts to power your vehicles!

Lithium based secondary cells are the way to go cos no other battery technology gives the same kind of energy density and other benefits. We simply learn how to improve the safety of these batteries.

Btw, if that dvr using Lithium battery of yours catches fire or emit smoke try to remove it and throw it out of the vehicle to a safe place like concrete if possible. Then pour water onto it to cool it down.

Edited by Columbian78

1st Gear

Hybrid car battery pack is not a single huge chunk of battery. It comprises numerous smaller bettery cells connected to form the battery pack. As an additional safety feature, it is stored in a steel case and within passenger cell away from direct impact.

Yes, it will also smoke and burn when shorted. But will not bloat up like in the video.

I would like to bump this topic back after half a year as awareness sharing. Also to provide a little update on my situation.

Please note that the purpose of this thread is to create awareness and not to alarm people not to use Lithium batteries in their cars or anywhere else.

I have now transited both my in car DVRs to ones that do not contain any Lithium batteries. (Itronics ITB-100SP and Vico TF2+). Also, my workplace carpark is sheltered now. Of course, where we park our cars are usually not within our control. But do try to avoid direct hot sun as much as possible.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1