Anyone driving the latest Ford Focus

Ssbcc

Turbocharged

I got the Focus Estate-Trend.. It is running on Duretec +powershift.. I doubt so they will bring in the 1.5 Ecoboost and this will upgrade to CAT B COE and fighting with all big players...

Easy solution: the EcoBoost 1.0L.

↡ Advertisement

Easy solution: the EcoBoost 1.0L.

Well, this might be their next planning to bring this EcoBoost 1.0 for our local mkt so to fit in the CAT A COE.

Let's see, as this engine has already widely accepted in Europe with thumbs up !

Hi there, had been driving the 2015 FF hatch since 1st Aug. Got the Titanium trim so it included the extras such as bi-xenon hd lights, 17" rims and some exterior and interior upgrades.

Had been driving a Jap make previously, so compared to my previous ride, refinement, ride quality and handling definately sees a huge improvement.

As the car had yet to run in, i shall not comment on the FC (currently doing about 10km/l), but the 1.6l NA Zetec engine, with e 6sp gearbox seems adequate to do the job even when carrying 4 x adults. But having an 1.5l ecoboost engine will definately see a huge improvement in terms of power and fuel economy.

Turbocharged

Hi there, had been driving the 2015 FF hatch since 1st Aug. Got the Titanium trim so it included the extras such as bi-xenon hd lights, 17" rims and some exterior and interior upgrades.

Had been driving a Jap make previously, so compared to my previous ride, refinement, ride quality and handling definately sees a huge improvement.

As the car had yet to run in, i shall not comment on the FC (currently doing about 10km/l), but the 1.6l NA Zetec engine, with e 6sp gearbox seems adequate to do the job even when carrying 4 x adults. But having an 1.5l ecoboost engine will definately see a huge improvement in terms of power and fuel economy.

how does it handle de ramps? 1.6L NA with only 123hp @6,300RPM and 159Nm torque really sounds underpowered for shoving a 1,408kg car... 11.7s according to spec sheet leh...

But it is nice to know you are liking the car. Focus is definitely worthy of its global recognition.

how does it handle de ramps? 1.6L NA with only 123hp @6,300RPM and 159Nm torque really sounds underpowered for shoving a 1,408kg car... 11.7s according to spec sheet leh...

But it is nice to know you are liking the car. Focus is definitely worthy of its global recognition.

Buyers in Europe tend to go for the Ecoboost engine, which produce max torque at very low rpms.

I think the lack of power and torque of the local FF is partly mitigated by the fast changing GB, which works thru the clogs pretty well.

The 6sp manual available in Europe will surely make the drive more enjoyable, which Regent is bring in in the FF ST later this year.

FF/Ford is definitely underrated in Sgp, but I am starting to see more Fords on our roads.

Drop by the showroom yesterday to pick up my deposit refund from the agent, saw that Ford's showroom is pack :)

Turbocharged

Buyers in Europe tend to go for the Ecoboost engine, which produce max torque at very low rpms.

I think the lack of power and torque of the local FF is partly mitigated by the fast changing GB, which works thru the clogs pretty well.

The 6sp manual available in Europe will surely make the drive more enjoyable, which Regent is bring in in the FF ST later this year.

FF/Ford is definitely underrated in Sgp, but I am starting to see more Fords on our roads.

Drop by the showroom yesterday to pick up my deposit refund from the agent, saw that Ford's showroom is pack :)

Recently saw white FF at AMK. The angling bi-xenon caught my attention... think their high beam was on though [dizzy] kenna blind

just came back from viewing focus.. im dissapointed with the internal trimming.. very plasticky IMO.., ... i didnt bother to even test drive....

Recently saw white FF at AMK. The angling bi-xenon caught my attention... think their high beam was on though [dizzy] kenna blind

I think what drew me to FF was the frontal design of the car, the headlights, grille and lower air dam. The Titanium version comes in chrome accents which makes the front "stands out"

post-48629-0-46966900-1439722874_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kwekxh

just came back from viewing focus.. im dissapointed with the internal trimming.. very plasticky IMO.., ... i didnt bother to even test drive....

While interior trim can't match that of VW, most reviews I read/viewed by UK or european car reviewers agreed that the facelift FF interior trim have improved from that of mk III :)

Neutral Newbie

HI FF fans! I've been eyeing the FF as a replacement for my aging Civic 1.6 (2008 model) - I like my Civic very much, but find the new version from Honda somewhat lacking in character. So I'm looking for a good 'driver's car' which can at least match the 'shiokness' of my Civic.

Looking at all your comments here, I'm almost sold on the FF already. But a few days ago I was talking to a colleague who drives the 2012 version of the FF Hatchback. She was complaining about some gearbox shuddering, and jolting (like horse galloping) sometimes when she starts off at the traffic light - this was when the car was new. She brought it back to and the agent tweaked some software and did some adjustments. It was ok for awhile, but now it is coming back again. I went to check out on-line about FF clutch issues and apparently in America FF buyers have been facing tonnes of problems - see: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ford_focus.html.

All this sounds like the DSG problems reported by other German brands. This dual-clutch issue seems like cutting across different brands that share the same technology.

So my questions here to existing FF owners:

1. What is your personal experience on the clutch issue?

2. For those who are more technical here - what is the difference between the FF dual-clutch vs the DSG?

3. If the Singapore version of FF clutch is different from those in America, does anyone know what is the difference?

4. On a slightly different point - is there enough space behind to sit 3 adults comfortably? At first look it feels a bit tighter than my Civic. Can share your experience?

The clutch issue is the only thing that is worrying me about getting the FF - otherwise I really like the car!! Hope friends here can share your experience and alay my fears.

Turbocharged

HI FF fans! I've been eyeing the FF as a replacement for my aging Civic 1.6 (2008 model) - I like my Civic very much, but find the new version from Honda somewhat lacking in character. So I'm looking for a good 'driver's car' which can at least match the 'shiokness' of my Civic.

Looking at all your comments here, I'm almost sold on the FF already. But a few days ago I was talking to a colleague who drives the 2012 version of the FF Hatchback. She was complaining about some gearbox shuddering, and jolting (like horse galloping) sometimes when she starts off at the traffic light - this was when the car was new. She brought it back to and the agent tweaked some software and did some adjustments. It was ok for awhile, but now it is coming back again. I went to check out on-line about FF clutch issues and apparently in America FF buyers have been facing tonnes of problems - see: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ford_focus.html.

All this sounds like the DSG problems reported by other German brands. This dual-clutch issue seems like cutting across different brands that share the same technology.

2. For those who are more technical here - what is the difference between the FF dual-clutch vs the DSG?

3. If the Singapore version of FF clutch is different from those in America, does anyone know what is the difference?

4. On a slightly different point - is there enough space behind to sit 3 adults comfortably? At first look it feels a bit tighter than my Civic. Can share your experience?

The clutch issue is the only thing that is worrying me about getting the FF - otherwise I really like the car!! Hope friends here can share your experience and alay my fears.

For this, all I can say is that the Ford Focus is probably using a dry-dual-clutch. I'm not certain how reliable it is, but you can rest assured it's not the exact same design as the BorgWarner DSGs used by Volkswagen. Instead, it is a design by Getrag. Reliability issues here aren't widespread, but then again Fords aren't even common enough for enough data to be known.

Your friend's shuddering issue is mainly due to the Powershift dual-clutch which is generally not so good at handling low speed shifting. It is also tuned more to emulate a conventional AT rather than virtually instantaneous shifting as per DSG/S-Tronic.

I haven't tried the Focus myself, but I believe you might want to do so and try crawling around to see if it is too bothersome for you.

I don't think the Singapore/European Powershift we get here is much different from the USA's. If anything there may be only differences in programming, rather than mechanical design. Singapore's constant start-stop traffic is not kind to any sort of dual-clutch design.

The Focus' rear space is sufficient, but I'll give it about that. It's not going to be particularly comfortable for three adults over very long distance, but it's adequate for Asians. Well, then again I didn't really look at it closely.

Bring your khaki-squad (or family) along and see if they can sit comfortably. Legroom isn't particularly great but is certainly decent for the class, as is headroom. Not as capaciously comfortable as a Golf however.

Neutral Newbie

For this, all I can say is that the Ford Focus is probably using a dry-dual-clutch. I'm not certain how reliable it is, but you can rest assured it's not the exact same design as the BorgWarner DSGs used by Volkswagen. Instead, it is a design by Getrag. Reliability issues here aren't widespread, but then again Fords aren't even common enough for enough data to be known.

Your friend's shuddering issue is mainly due to the Powershift dual-clutch which is generally not so good at handling low speed shifting. It is also tuned more to emulate a conventional AT rather than virtually instantaneous shifting as per DSG/S-Tronic.

I haven't tried the Focus myself, but I believe you might want to do so and try crawling around to see if it is too bothersome for you.

I don't think the Singapore/European Powershift we get here is much different from the USA's. If anything there may be only differences in programming, rather than mechanical design. Singapore's constant start-stop traffic is not kind to any sort of dual-clutch design.

The Focus' rear space is sufficient, but I'll give it about that. It's not going to be particularly comfortable for three adults over very long distance, but it's adequate for Asians. Well, then again I didn't really look at it closely.

Bring your khaki-squad (or family) along and see if they can sit comfortably. Legroom isn't particularly great but is certainly decent for the class, as is headroom. Not as capaciously comfortable as a Golf however.

WOW! Thanks, 7hm!

Hi atka166,

My humble thoughts and views after nearly 1000 miles (only) on my FF:

1. FF is a car that likes to be driven a little hard (firm right foot). If I were to feather the gas, the GB will behave like a manual where it will vibrate a little and surge/judder. But when you apply firm pressure, the GB will work thru the cogs decisively to kick up/down. Try playing with the S mode which allows more control over the shifting. When cruising, lifting off the gas pedal actually tells the GB to down shift and induces engine braking. I admit that I took over a week to get use to the characteristics of the DC GB, but it also allow the GB to adapt to your driving style. In the Mk III FF (pre-2015), software tweaks had addressed much of the GB issues. The current Mk 3.5 FF sees even less of these issues (try reading EU reviews of FF, esp UK sites. the popularity of FF is UK is like Altis in SG).

In fact, I find getting used to the brake being a bigger bearbug. Not that it is not effective, but it is in fact a little "too" effective. A little pressure on the pedal will bring the veh to a stop and I read in a particular test that that the stock brakes/summer tyres (disc brakes all round) can bring an FF from 100 to 0 in about 34 metres. I am still trying to get use to be more gentle on the brakes in normal driving.

2. I think 7hm had done a pretty comprehensive explanation. you can view this video (produced by Ford, btw) to understand the workings if you are interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Q2M2K0V5k

3. There are some slight differences in the US vs EU made FF, which again, I learnt from a video review on Youtube which I could not locate at the moment. FF in SG are German built, which makes it the EU version.

Off hand, I can only recall that the engine choices of EU built FF is different from that of US built FF. 1.6l ZETECs are not available in US, which have only the 1.0l Ecoboost and 2.0l ZETEC. EU gets the full range of petrol, diesel, electric and turbo engine choices.

I managed to retrieve my FF's owner's manual from Ford UK's website by entering the chassis number, thus confirming it "EU citizenship/origin" :)

4. If space is a concern, do consider the sedan version. while sharing similar wheel base, the HB FF rear seats are actually shifted forward by at least 20 - 30 mm (based on my own estimation).

I chose the HB cos it looks better from the rear compared to the sedan, esp the rear LED pole/DRL which is lacking in the sedan (I am a sucker for LED lights), not to mention the sportier profile and wide luggage opening. Knocking down the rear seats instantly converts the FF into a "micro van".

Than again, I had tried ferrying 4 x adults and a baby seat in my FF without causing a riot in the rear bench or noticeable loss in power delivery. The FF is designed to carry 5 x adults and yet tow a trailer, so the 1.6l power plant's application on SG's road seems sufficiently capable :)

To sum it up, I think I really appreciate the FF when I brought it up to expressway speeds of 100 - 110, to appreciate its refinement as a relaxed cruiser yet allow me to feel "connected" to the road.

• Praise 1

I experienced occasional juddering with the 6 speed powershift. It usually occurs when in city traffic when accelerating after stopping at red light. It is like the car cannot decide if it wants to release the clutch or not.

Shifts are pretty smooth but not as quick as a modern zf-8 or the vw group dsg. The shifting speed is similar to a older 5 or 6 speed auto.

However, unlike the dsg, I did not experience much jerking with the powershift. Even if it did occasionally, the jerks with the powershift is a lot less violent than the dsg.

The only concern I had was that the gearbox made an occasional faint grinding noise, which I assume was the clutch. Usually it happens when at city driving speed and lower rpm.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks to all who have shared your knowledge and experience! I've learnt a lot! Any others have any experience to share?

BTW, my short list now is:

(1) Ford Focus (good car, but not yet sure whether I can like the DCT behaviour)

(2) Honda Vezel (power & torque quite close to the FF, not sure about how it handles, and it is sold by PI)

(3) Nissan Qashqai (nice in its own way, 1.2l engine is attractive from road tax and fuel savings point of view, but afraid that it might be underpowered because high torque (165 Nm) is good for take off, but the low 115 BHP may cap the performance)

Price-wise, Qashqai is highest, followed by Vezel & Focus being quite close.

Haha...looks like there is no 'perfect' car - all have to weigh pros and cons! Anyone has any views about my choices?

Thanks again!

Turbocharged

Thanks to all who have shared your knowledge and experience! I've learnt a lot! Any others have any experience to share?

BTW, my short list now is:

(1) Ford Focus (good car, but not yet sure whether I can like the DCT behaviour)

(2) Honda Vezel (power & torque quite close to the FF, not sure about how it handles, and it is sold by PI)

(3) Nissan Qashqai (nice in its own way, 1.2l engine is attractive from road tax and fuel savings point of view, but afraid that it might be underpowered because high torque (165 Nm) is good for take off, but the low 115 BHP may cap the performance)

Price-wise, Qashqai is highest, followed by Vezel & Focus being quite close.

Haha...looks like there is no 'perfect' car - all have to weigh pros and cons! Anyone has any views about my choices?

Thanks again!

Have you considered looking across the floor and checking out the Peugeot 308? Also an engaging car.

the 7 dry clutch fault lie in the clutch material

while the judder in the getrag lies in the oil seepage from the wet half of the gearbox thru the spline into the dry side and causing the slip

imho, both are as bad

just avoid

Neutral Newbie

Have you considered looking across the floor and checking out the Peugeot 308? Also an engaging car.

Thanks! Somehow French cars have always appeared rather too funky for me - but I did check out the 308's website after you mentioned it and I must say that is one very handsome car! And the GB is a real 6-speed auto from Japan's Aisin facility that has been optimised for efficiency - when coupled with their new 1.2l turbo engine that throws out 129 BHP and 230 Nm torque, it can still can achieve jaw-dropping FC! But there has been a general saying among Singapore drivers - "French cars don't go near - nice to look at but not good to eat".

Oh man - so many considerations - but this confirms in my mind again that there is no 'perfect' car! Any way I'll try to test drive to give it a fair assessment and compare with the Focus!

↡ Advertisement