Renault v Alfa: Who wins on reliability?

Nutsack

Kinda wary of Italian cars. Had Alfa before have lotsa problems though it was high on the passion quotient.

How about Renault? Will I be walking into,the same kinda problems I had with alfas ifi get a Renault?

Eyeing the Renault Megane RS...

↡ Advertisement

Kinda wary of Italian cars. Had Alfa before have lotsa problems though it was high on the passion quotient.

How about Renault? Will I be walking into,the same kinda problems I had with alfas ifi get a Renault?

Am not an RS owner but a normal Megane owner. So far no issues with reliability except the usual ignition coil failure, poor stock battery lifespan (14months at best), creaky noises, etc.

You may want to ask the guys over at Renault Car Club for advice on the Megane RS.

Turbocharged
(edited)

isnt d answer obvious? all these low volumes cars not only may have issues, but spare parts when u order also take long time to arrive n generally more ex due to no economy of scale. buy d RS n dont care abt reliabiloty lah, or else just buy a civic type r lor sure no problems i used to own 1 years ago trash like crazy also no worries, not a single part replaced except wear n tear parts. no creaks no engine oil leaks no battery problems no nothing its crazy how solid it is... maybe thats y honda stopped making it coz it last too long ahhahaha

Edited by Duckduck

isnt d answer obvious? all these low volumes cars not only may have issues, but spare parts when u order also take long time to arrive n generally more ex due to no economy of scale. buy d RS n dont care abt reliabiloty lah, or else just buy a civic type r lor sure no problems i used to own 1 years ago trash like crazy also no worries, not a single part replaced except wear n tear parts. no creaks no engine oil leaks no battery problems no nothing its crazy how solid it is... maybe thats y honda stopped making it coz it last too long ahhahaha

Sticking to conti cars la. So Hondas are out. Never really liked Hondas anyway.

Supercharged

Sticking to conti cars la. So Hondas are out. Never really liked Hondas anyway.

If you prefer conti hot hatch, how about GTI or Focus ST?

Or if have higher budget, can opt for A250 or mini JCW?

Another hear my friend say one opinion.... ..sigh

TS indicated his very own prior experiences with Alfas and their infamous reliability issues.

In no where did he state 'My friend said..'.

Well, the Pugs, Citroens and Renaults are low vol for a reason....Nice lookers, but I leave you to research. No friend, grandfadder, fadder or wat say....u read first hand

Am not an RS owner but a normal Megane owner. So far no issues with reliability except the usual ignition coil failure, poor stock battery lifespan (14months at best), creaky noises, etc.

You may want to ask the guys over at Renault Car Club for advice on the Megane RS.

Yes, my stock batt on M2 also lasted 14 months. Replaced with Renault boutique batt under warranty and is coming to 2 years now.

(edited)

If brand new, should be nothing much to worry as Renault is quite reasonable with their warranty. Even wear & tear parts, they replaced it for free during warranty period. Just be nice and ask in a friendly manner, "Can you help me....?". :D

Edited by Kangadrool

(edited)

bad experience with renault before. but heard horror stories of alfa too.

if you want reliability go with jap. cheaper servicing and repair too.

if you want the wow factor go for alfa.

Renault is the worst of both worlds in my opinion

Edited by Little_prince

Turbocharged

The Megane RS is a great drive - loved it when I drove it.

If you are looking at the RS - what Alfa model are you putting it against? From what I know, they don't have a close competitor in their stable at the moment - is there a high performance version of the Giulietta? There might be a Mito - which is a fun drive, but I don't think it has a manual version...

(edited)

wise words.

Yes alfa is bad. Only crazy people buy it. I am really regretting now.. should had gotten an Altis.

Edited by Chrispie

Supercharged

I saw many Fiats around, especially that hatch (think its call Bravo or something..). Perhaps if its common, it could be a reliable car. Maybe TS can go for Fiats if he really likes Italian cars...

wise words.

Yes alfa is bad. Only crazy people buy it. I am really regretting now.. should had gotten an Altis.

Bro you still have time :D

TS indicated his very own prior experiences with Alfas and their infamous reliability issues.

In no where did he state 'My friend said..'.

errr...I'm referring to the the post after TS and you...

Neutral Newbie

Megane for me as well! I have been a Alfa Romeo admirer but have heard about issues lately. Since Renault has been churning up delights these days and doing good in numbers as well, my vote will be for the Reanult on counts of practicality, affordability and value for money too. I say value for money since I had seen Mr. Clarkson on Top Gear stating about ownership issues of the Alfa Romeo and the works.

My source of info - http://www.automotix.net/info.html

↡ Advertisement