Soya

Supersonic
(edited)

[laugh][laugh][laugh]

singa_s_resignation_letter_data.pdf

Subject: Open Letter to Singapore - I Quit

Dear Singapore,

I quit.

I need a long break, and you could probably use a break from me too. I get it. No one likes being nagged at, even if it's about being kind and gracious.

I suppose it's about time. After all, I've been doing this for over 30 years - first, as the Courtesy Lion, and more recently, as your mascot for kindness. I'm just too tired to continue facing an increasingly angry and disagreeable society.

It's been said that kindness shouldn't be a campaign. That kindness should be a part of values education. That people in authority - at work, in school, at home and in government - should lead by example.

Fair enough. I suppose it's time for real people to step up, and for the mascot to step aside.

It's not that we aren't a gracious society, or that kindness is not innate in all of us. But some days it feels like not very many of us believe in or care about expressing kindness. We say, "We have so many problems. How can we be kind?". Or "Fix my problems first, then we can talk about being kind."

Should we let kindness and graciousness disappear while we fix these "bigger" problems? Is kindness only for the good times? Does graciousness come with terms and conditions? If we can only be nice if other people are nice to us first, who will start the ball rolling? Or can we rise above our differences and be gracious even in challenging times?

A final word before I go. Let's be responsible for our actions. We can refuse to give up our seats on the train if we don't want to, but let's not blame it on the crowd. We can go online and be rude to others, but let's not think it "doesn't count" because it's anonymous. We can let our anger and disagreement dictate the kind of people and society we want to be, or we can decide to be gracious, even when frustrated.

We are responsible for the sort of society we encourage and create. It is our choices that determine who we are.

All the best, Singapore.

Your friend,

Singa

Edited by Soya
↡ Advertisement

[laugh][laugh][laugh]

Sadly, in such a 'high tempo' nation such as Singapore, kindness just sometimes don't make the cut, but I would still like to thank Singa, for trying in the past 30yrs [laugh]

(edited)

Who's taking over?

Maybe a redesigned, rebooted Singa 2.0 or maybe SKM should explore other options, such as asking a few Gen Y Blogger to represent SKM [:p]

Edited by I-LOVE-CARS

Hypersonic

Who's taking over?

Ask the colonel KFC to take over, since heis like nothing much to do as president..

Farewell Singa...here's one for the road...

Courtesy is for free

Courtesy is for you and me.

It makes for gracious living and harmony

Giving a friendly smile

Helping out where we can

Trying hard to be polite all the time

Courtesy is for free

Living could be a treat

If people are awfully sweet

Courtesy could be our way of life

Courtesy is for free

It is rude to be abusive

Just to prove we

(edited)

Farewell [wave]

How can a lion be a mascot for kindness and courtesy when it has always been associated with power, aggression and beast. [whip]

Should have used a hamster or rabbit instead. [laugh]

All these while you have been living a suppressed life.

Let the lion roar now. [:p]

Edited by Atonchia

Who's taking over?

the two new FT lor, who else...

he suay lah... forced to resign... no retrenchment benefits some more... [:p]

Who's taking over?

Maybe some S-pass foreign worker? :D

By the time our population reach 6.9mil what we need is not courtesy...what we need is space. And ppl won't be smiling much coz every where we go we need to squeeze with more ppl, the queue for going to public toilet will grow longer. More taxi drivers fight with other drivers more often. I think the courtesy mascot could make way for a stress mascot the one wearing a lightning logo on its T-shirt. :D

[laugh][laugh][laugh]

Subject: Open Letter to Singapore - I Quit

Dear Singapore,

I quit.

I need a long break, and you could probably use a break from me too. I get it. No one likes being nagged at, even if it's about being kind and gracious.

I suppose it's about time. After all, I've been doing this for over 30 years - first, as the Courtesy Lion, and more recently, as piyour mascot for kindness. I'm just too tired to continue facing an increasingly angry and disagreeable society.

It's been said that kindness shouldn't be a campaign. That kindness should be a part of values education. That people in authority - at work, in school, at home and in government - should lead by example.

Fair enough. I suppose it's time for real people to step up, and for the mascot to step aside.

It's not that we aren't a gracious society, or that kindness is not innate in all of us. But some days it feels like not very many of us believe in or care about expressing kindness. We say, "We have so many problems. How can we be kind?". Or "Fix my problems first, then we can talk about being kind."

Should we let kindness and graciousness disappear while we fix these "bigger" problems? Is kindness only for the good times? Does graciousness come with terms and conditions? If we can only be nice if other people are nice to us first, who will start the ball rolling? Or can we rise above our differences and be gracious even in challenging times?

A final word before I go. Let's be responsible for our actions. We can refuse to give up our seats on the train if we don't want to, but let's not blame it on the crowd. We can go online and be rude to others, but let's not think it "doesn't count" because it's anonymous. We can let our anger and disagreement dictate the kind of people and society we want to be, or we can decide to be gracious, even when frustrated.

We are responsible for the sort of society we encourage and create. It is our choices that determine who we are.

All the best, Singapore.

Your friend,

Singa

I feel sad when i saw it on the papers

Maybe some S-pass foreign worker? :D

By the time our population reach 6.9mil what we need is not courtesy...what we need is space. And ppl won't be smiling much coz every where we go we need to squeeze with more ppl, the queue for going to public toilet will grow longer. More taxi drivers fight with other drivers more often. I think the courtesy mascot could make way for a stress mascot the one wearing a lightning logo on its T-shirt. :D

This must be the one your are talking about. [laugh]

1281990-cp1388_20mythology_flash.jpg

Turbocharged

You take over as new mascot lah lao eh. Best for the ageing population. Limpeh stay at CV nursing home :D

Supersonic

admit it.....u tried to gay up singa until he buay tahan. :D

4th Gear

they should select another Miss Courtesy like the last one long time ago........I still rem that she quite sweet looking..... :wub:

I recommend this guy. He will enforce it!

I think James Lye till this day is regretting to have taken up this role.

(edited)

I feel sad when i saw it on the papers

Aiya. Why we need a courtesy lion in the 1st place?

Courtesy comes from proper upbringing.

See a rude kid? Is it the kid's fault? No.

Edited by Relagsingh
↡ Advertisement