4 more ERP gantries on AYE by mid 2014...

Newdrive

pay ERP to drive in jam lor [smash]

if the ERP gantry rates are $2.50 or less..most drivers might just pay..if LTA really wants to solve congestion issues..they would set the rates to $10-$20 to really deter drivers

• Praise 1

if the ERP gantry rates are $2.50 or less..most drivers might just pay..if LTA really wants to solve congestion issues..they would set the rates to $10-$20 to really deter drivers

that would make people really angry [dizzy]

heng heng now they revise BKE rates back to the old one before the last revision. the BKE towards PIE and the one at adam road towards changi on PIE are the 2 that affects me daily.

the case of having more ERP and higher COE to deter more drivers or more having cars are cow come home stories... did the scholars take comparison with HK, KL or even Beijing? Those cities are jam packed during peak hours as well but do they have COE? Housing price go compare wif HK so to head North, but the transportation dun dare to compare cos they dun wan to head South at all... so bottomline is tat ERP and COE main purpose is to earn more $$$ for their salaries and bonuses...

the case of having more ERP and higher COE to deter more drivers or more having cars are cow come home stories... did the scholars take comparison with HK, KL or even Beijing? Those cities are jam packed during peak hours as well but do they have COE? Housing price go compare wif HK so to head North, but the transportation dun dare to compare cos they dun wan to head South at all... so bottomline is tat ERP and COE main purpose is to earn more $$$ for their salaries and bonuses...

My brother asked me whether an ERP-like system would help alleviate KL's massive rush hour traffic jam while we were caught in it last week and it got me thinking.

In summary, an ERP-like system would not alleviate KL's traffic congestion because the public transport system is not well developed; KL workers will still need to drive and hence the total number of vehicles entering and leaving the KL downtown area remains constant. An ERP-like system will only divert congestion from one place to another.

Singapore's situation is slightly different in that our public transport system is much better than Malaysia's. However, the question is whether it is sufficient to cater to increase in workers in CBD.

• Praise 1

Wah! I really cannot wait for the 4 ERP gantries along AYE to be commissioned.

The morning and evening jams are getting from bad to worse.

I notice that the long jams are mainly caused by people living in the west, Jurong/CCK etc going to and from work in the city. Need to get these people to switch to MRT to work (I think mostly a Raffles Place, Tg Pagar, Marina Bay areas). All drive for what? Every morning see only one driver nia, in most of the cars!!

Also the crowd working in Science Park, One North / Biopolis / Fusionopolis areas. They are all the cause of jams. These high-concentration areas should be served by an LRT system instead. Let the workers park their cars somewhere far far away and then take LRT to work.

I'd like to standing ovation this additional ERP gantry plan!!

Start with $3 per pop, I say and increase it to $5, if the drivers are still willing to pay!

High COE premia + more ERP gantries ... that's the way to go!

Once the pain factor reaches tilting point, many will give up driving to work and take the MRT.

Applaud ... clap clap.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

its inevitable isnt it?

Traffic woes in Clementi Town
Published on Apr 26, 2013 12:24 AM
29 7 0 0 PRINT EMAIL

THE tragic accident on Tuesday at a cross-junction on Clementi Avenue 3 highlights the worsening traffic conditions in Clementi Town ("Wife of NUS prof dies after being hit by bus"; Wednesday).

Just a few years ago, it was a breeze driving in Clementi Town. But today, with many new developments in the area, driving into the estate has become a nightmare.

During the morning, lunch and evening peak hours, and even on weekends, there is a heavy flow of traffic along the short stretch of Commonwealth Avenue West between Clementi Road and Clementi Avenue 6. There are regular traffic bottlenecks at:

- Clementi Avenue 6/Ayer Rajah Expressway (towards the city);

- The intersection of Clementi Avenue 3 and Commonwealth Avenue West (where the accident happened);

- The intersection of Clementi Avenue 2 and Commonwealth Avenue West towards Jurong East; and

- The stretch of Clementi Avenue 2 between the AYE and Commonwealth Avenue West.

So what are the causes of the traffic jams? There are a few reasons, namely:

- The general increase in the vehicle population;

- The increase in vehicular traffic through Clementi Town, including both private and public buses, due to the location of the MRT station and bus interchange;

- The location of public bus stops; and

- The large number of traffic lights and crossings along Commonwealth Avenue West.

Starting with the stretch of road at the intersection of Clementi Avenue 6 and the AYE (towards the city), the flow of vehicles trying to join the expressway from Clementi Avenue 6 is in conflict with the flow of vehicles crossing from Clementi Avenue 6 to the expressway (towards Tuas).

The plan to install surveillance cameras along the stretch of road outside The Clementi Mall area along Commonwealth Avenue West, to prevent discriminate parking and waiting, will offer some respite. But the often long stretch of buses also seems to be a contributing factor as they line up to drop off and pick up passengers.

Going forward, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) should restrict heavy vehicle movement during peak hours.

Over the long term, during peak periods on weekdays, the LTA could consider allowing entry of vehicles into the congested area on alternate days depending on whether their licence plates end in odd or even numbers.

I urge the authorities to do a more in-depth review of the traffic situation in Clementi to improve the current conditions.

Wong Kok Kong

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/forum-letters/story/traffic-woes-clementi-town-20130426#sthash.gP1VL9w4.dpuf

http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/forum-letters/story/traffic-woes-clementi-town-20130426

clementi has been built up to be one of the most congested areas of sg due to developments.

root cause? overpopulation. Its a microcosm of the country where the population has exceeded its threshold for comfortable living.

These days, most of clementi's roads at peak hours are just one giant carpark.

No amount of road widening, road improvements, traffic management can address the issue as long as the root cause remains.

Edited by Karoon

Turbocharged

I notice that the long jams are mainly caused by people living in the west, Jurong/CCK etc going to and from work in the city. Need to get these people to switch to MRT to work (I think mostly a Raffles Place, Tg Pagar, Marina Bay areas). All drive for what? Every morning see only one driver nia, in most of the cars!!

Also the crowd working in Science Park, One North / Biopolis / Fusionopolis areas. They are all the cause of jams. These high-concentration areas should be served by an LRT system instead. Let the workers park their cars somewhere far far away and then take LRT to work.

Start with $3 per pop, I say and increase it to $5, if the drivers are still willing to pay!

Once the pain factor reaches tilting point, many will give up driving to work and take the MRT.

Applaud ... clap clap.

Do you drive? If you do, what's the difference Btw you and those you mentioned?... Ummm..

Lest I forget, those working in Alexandra DistriPark, Mapletree City and HarbourFront are also major contributors to the AYE jams.

More ERP gantries there will certainly curtail their strong desire to drive to work, alone!

The pain MUST be elevated, to be palpably felt!

(edited)

Applaud ... clap clap.

The jam for AYE towards Jurong is caused by the stupid design at the exit to Clementi Ave 6 .... there is a Bus Stop outside The Parc condo,not to mention the slip road at Clementi Ave 2 joining the AYE. And finally the narrow exit 11 with the sharp turn into Clementi Ave 6.

As for Clementi Ave 6 towards AYE .... lagi stupid .... vehicles from Clementi Ave 6 and from the slip road from Clementi goes head on at the merging lane ... vehicles from Clementi Ave 6 heading to city needs to merge left and vehicles from the slip road towards Jurong need to merge right ..... how not to have jam ?????

With or without ERP, I doubt that there is going to be a difference... regular users of Clementi Ave 6 would know what I am talking about ... root cause ... poor design....

Lest I forget, those working in Alexandra DistriPark, Mapletree City and HarbourFront are also major contributors to the AYE jams.

More ERP gantries there will certainly curtail their strong desire to drive to work, alone!

The pain MUST be elevated, to be palpably felt!

look further down ... the jam clear immediately after Clementi Ave 6 towards Jurong.

Edited by Civic6228
  • Praise 2

just now on the way back to oppik from City to Jurong on AYE (Jurong), saw workers doing gantry before Clementi Road Exit.....

MCFers staying or using these exits....prepare to pay more moolah liao [:(]

GAHMENT HUAT AH~~~!!!

PAP HUAT AH~~~!!!

Neutral Newbie

One good example of poorly designed road with the most accidents. BKE>KJE in the morning. Typically those cars travelling from Mandai into BKE and those BKE heading into KJE is like merging to crash into kind of design. Cant they just design the lane in such a way for those cars travelling from mandai can just head straight into KJE without filtering out when the KJE cars are cutting in. Simply stupid design.

The jam for AYE towards Jurong is caused by the stupid design at the exit to Clementi Ave 6 .... there is a Bus Stop outside The Parc condo,not to mention the slip road at Clementi Ave 2 joining the AYE. And finally the narrow exit 11 with the sharp turn into Clementi Ave 6.

As for Clementi Ave 6 towards AYE .... lagi stupid .... vehicles from Clementi Ave 6 and from the slip road from Clementi goes head on at the merging lane ... vehicles from Clementi Ave 6 heading to city needs to merge left and vehicles from the slip road towards Jurong need to merge right ..... how not to have jam ?????

With or without ERP, I doubt that there is going to be a difference... regular users of Clementi Ave 6 would know what I am talking about ... root cause ... poor design....

look further down ... the jam clear immediately after Clementi Ave 6 towards Jurong.

to be fair, a lot of jam are created due to poor road design and bad habits of drivers who filter to exit the left lane at the very last minutes, and road hoggers.

• Praise 1

Do you drive? If you do, what's the difference Btw you and those you mentioned?... Ummm..

Haha I think the difference is that he's willing to Pay And Pay.

One good example of poorly designed road with the most accidents. BKE>KJE in the morning. Typically those cars travelling from Mandai into BKE and those BKE heading into KJE is like merging to crash into kind of design. Cant they just design the lane in such a way for those cars travelling from mandai can just head straight into KJE without filtering out when the KJE cars are cutting in. Simply stupid design.

accordingly, i think there are other similar roads with the same design

stupid design? i dont tink so. no amount of engineering can accommodate the increased load if everyone decides to use the same stretch of road at the same time

my suggestion? just ride a bike. faster acceleration and easier to filter between lanes. this will overall increase speed and reduce jam

another way is to equip turbo for heavy vehicles, but still limit the speed at 60km/h. this will allow the heavy vehicles to pick up speed as some drivers like to filter to the front of such heavy vehicles and causes them to slow down. Thus, it will result in a chain reaction behind the heavy vehicles. Having a turbo in such vehicles will allow them to accelerate quickly once they are able to do so.

5th Gear

My brother asked me whether an ERP-like system would help alleviate KL's massive rush hour traffic jam while we were caught in it last week and it got me thinking.

In summary, an ERP-like system would not alleviate KL's traffic congestion because the public transport system is not well developed; KL workers will still need to drive and hence the total number of vehicles entering and leaving the KL downtown area remains constant. An ERP-like system will only divert congestion from one place to another.

Singapore's situation is slightly different in that our public transport system is much better than Malaysia's. However, the question is whether it is sufficient to cater to increase in workers in CBD.

Agreed. Mass public transportation is able to reach almost all residential areas of Singapore due to size and connectivity, unlike Malaysia/KL. [nod]

Neutral Newbie

accordingly, i think there are other similar roads with the same design

stupid design? i dont tink so. no amount of engineering can accommodate the increased load if everyone decides to use the same stretch of road at the same time

my suggestion? just ride a bike. faster acceleration and easier to filter between lanes. this will overall increase speed and reduce jam

another way is to equip turbo for heavy vehicles, but still limit the speed at 60km/h. this will allow the heavy vehicles to pick up speed as some drivers like to filter to the front of such heavy vehicles and causes them to slow down. Thus, it will result in a chain reaction behind the heavy vehicles. Having a turbo in such vehicles will allow them to accelerate quickly once they are able to do so.

Then should really look into how they redesign the entry to Lentor. They practically increased to two lanes instead of one now. Nothing is impossible bro.

Haha I think the difference is that he's willing to Pay And Pay.

He is an Elite who deserves to drive, while the rest in Jurong and CCK are poor peasants causing the jam.

↡ Advertisement