Kobo Glo eReader or Amazon Kindle Paperwhite?

Relacklabrudder3

Recently sick tired of carting books. Research and find these 2 competing products.

Can share which one better?

Gotta fren who sell both. But I not sure which one to buy

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Recently sick tired of carting books. Research and find these 2 competing products.

I recently bought a Kindle white paper and I was given a DVD of all the 8000 of titles of paperback to download from. I bought this e-reader for my children to read and they are loving every minute of it.

Even my colleagues also said the white paper is good with their white light built into their screen and there is

No reflection or distortion of light when you are holding it to read. It's so light & slim and dun feel tired holding it for a long period. What I like best is the dictionary built into the E-reader. Whenever you met a

bombastic word, you can simply use your finger to press on the word lightly onto the screen and it will prompt out a small window and have the meaning of the word explain. It's so convienece that you can dump away your Longman or Oxford dictionary you had at home. Reading your favourite books is just so fuss free and once you have finish reading it you can simply delete it and download your next paperback.

Trust me, you won't go wrong with this paperwhite.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cpgHMuUB8nU

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CH87MFipmoo&feature=relmfu

Edited by Abachee

Hypersonic
(edited)

i take paperwhite. My wife has one.

though it's one of the lowest rated kindles since release. only 4 stars instead of the usual 4.5 to 5 stars. It's still great.

I have a kindle v3 myself.

just buy yourself lor.

119 usd on amazon. can get a decent cover for 10 usd. ship to 3rd party forwarder. Should cost less than 30 sgd for shipping.

if u buy in sg, u just letting someone earn extra money... they aren't authorised dealers btw. there's no warranty.

the so called "free" books are actually either pirated or old classics already free on amazon.

Edited by Lala81

Supercharged

I'm using Nook reader. check it out. to me, it's more flexible than kindle because I can buy ebooks from other sources. kindle restricts you to having to buy ebooks from Amazon. Yeah, there are ways to get around it, but it not easy. even buying ebooks from Amazon is not straightforward because we are not in US.

Look at kindle as Apple OS and other ebook readers as android OS.

Turbocharged
(edited)

I recently bought a Kindle white paper and I was given a DVD of all the 8000 of titles of paperback to download from. I bought this e-reader for my children to read and they are loving every minute of it.

Even my colleagues also said the white paper is good with their white light built into their screen and there is

No reflection or distortion of light when you are holding it to read. It's so light & slim and dun feel tired holding it for a long period. What I like best is the dictionary built into the E-reader. Whenever you met a

bombastic word, you can simply use your finger to press on the word lightly onto the screen and it will prompt out a small window and have the meaning of the word explain. It's so convienece that you can dump away your Longman or Oxford dictionary you had at home. Reading your favourite books is just so fuss free and once you have finish reading it you can simply delete it and download your next paperback.

Be prepared though that the screen is not really "white". It has some bluish-pinkish hue over some parts of the screen. I bought one, return it for exchange due to the screen, but the 2nd unit is also the same. Just read the amazon reviews and there is many people who complains about that.

Under daylight conditions, the screen is nice....it has that classic paperback look and feel. But at night, you can definitely notice the bluish pinkish hue.

I got use to it so it wasn't so annoying anymore. But anybody who expects the screen to be brilliant white just like its ad is going to be dissapointed.

Read this :

http://www.amazon.com/review/RFTP0INM22TQ/...#wasThisHelpful

Edited by Icedbs

Hypersonic

Be prepared though that the screen is not really "white". It has some bluish-pinkish hue over some parts of the screen. I bought one, return it for exchange due to the screen, but the 2nd unit is also the same. Just read the amazon reviews and there is many people who complains about that.

Under daylight conditions, the screen is nice....it has that classic paperback look and feel. But at night, you can definitely notice the bluish pinkish hue.

I got use to it so it wasn't so annoying anymore. But anybody who expects the screen to be brilliant white just like its ad is going to be dissapointed.

Read this :

http://www.amazon.com/review/RFTP0INM22TQ/...#wasThisHelpful

I think more importantly, is whether u feel comfortable reading it in the dark. I've spent 1.5 hrs reading in a dark room and still don't feel eye fatigue.

Yes, it's not white white. There is a blue tinge to it.

I have reply your pm. Have you received it?

Supercharged

nothing great about kindle dictionary. all other ebooks have the same built in dictionary.

for me i am locked in to kindles, as i have a kindle touch, paperwhite and also kindle apps on phones and tablet for share among my family.

i am happy with the hardware, but did not do any comparison with others.

other factors to consider are the selection of titles and pricing

Supercharged

for me i am locked in to kindles, as i have a kindle touch, paperwhite and also kindle apps on phones and tablet for share among my family.

i am happy with the hardware, but did not do any comparison with others.

other factors to consider are the selection of titles and pricing

that's why I say kindle is like Apple. they locked you in. you have to buy from Amazon, no matter what. they up their books prices, you suck thumb.

other brands are open source. Can buy ebooks from anywhere as long as it's Epub file.

for me, I borrow tons of books from our NLB through my Nook reader. FOC!

that's why I say kindle is like Apple. they locked you in. you have to buy from Amazon, no matter what. they up their books prices, you suck thumb.

other brands are open source. Can buy ebooks from anywhere as long as it's Epub file.

for me, I borrow tons of books from our NLB through my Nook reader. FOC!

Yup, I've been looking at the nook too and have been tempted to order one - the nook simple touch costs US$79, with free screen protector and a clip on light. Sounds like a gd deal

I have a kindle paperwhite and note that the implementation of the backlight is uneven. The lightsource shines across the bottom but there are mild shadows between the bulbs, leading to a mild visible pyramid effect in the dark.

It works fine, but if you are the type of person who gets annoyed by minor things, this could be a deal breaker as you are staring at the screen all the time.

Turbocharged

I have a kindle paperwhite and note that the implementation of the backlight is uneven. The lightsource shines across the bottom but there are mild shadows between the bulbs, leading to a mild visible pyramid effect in the dark.

It works fine, but if you are the type of person who gets annoyed by minor things, this could be a deal breaker as you are staring at the screen all the time.

I find the small cones of light at the bottom is ok.....it is the blue-black hues that is more annoying.

Turbocharged
(edited)

Yup, I've been looking at the nook too and have been tempted to order one - the nook simple touch costs US$79, with free screen protector and a clip on light. Sounds like a gd deal

Take note that the nook simple may not be suitable to use in a dark room.......I have one as well

The nook simple with glowlight is more suitable for dark room, but it has some issues too although I haven't experience it yet. Yes, I have the one with glow light too.

Edited by Icedbs

Hypersonic

hopefully there will be a paperwhite v2 coming out soon before the november sales ^_^

i might get one of those

Hypersonic

Take note that the nook simple may not be suitable to use in a dark room.......I have one as well

The nook simple with glowlight is more suitable for dark room, but it has some issues too although I haven't experience it yet. Yes, I have the one with glow light too.

your vote between glow light vs paperwhite?

↡ Advertisement