Malaysia: Seeking Advice for Malacca Road Trip

Carmaniac

(edited)

hahaah.. sorry.. I noob ma.. you must welcome this newbie with welcome hands.. :ph34r:

Well.. sorry.. I am a safe driver.. 160 was too fast for me.. well.. 220 was slower.. [rolleyes]

I got a near miss long long time ago while i tried to overtake a petrol tanker in Malaysia trunk road, while i overtake, suddenly another petrol tanker appear in front of ppl approaching me..

I won't be here if ...

i was inexperienced driver then.. think i got my license not very long..

Edited by Yenyenpark
↡ Advertisement

With regards to

1) Don't think there are many options locally for you to rent a car up north considering your age and the experiences. Even if have, with the premium doubt will be better than borrowing from family.

2) sorry, cant help you there. never rented from malaysia before

3) Do remember.. if you happen to be on lane 1.. someone high beams you.. kindly move out of the way once you can safely

In general.. its a 2hr+ drive at 140~150 average speeds with 1 stop along the way.. can probably stop at pontian or machap along the way. My personal advice is to go up with ONE experienced driver... who can watch out for you guys. Dont forget.. out of the 3 of you.. only one have 1y+ in sgp, dont even know if its everyday driving(probably not).

Getting the toll card is a must, and only certain places can top up (usually 2nd extreme left lanes at the toll station itself)

Not much to advise on rental part.

Only the following to advise:

(a) Do get a TOUCH N GO card first for all the toll stations. You can "borrow" from someone before going.

(b) Do keep to the left on NS Highway unless you folks are all chiong kings. Speeds can reach > 200kph for both Sg & My cars on the right lane.

Good to know that 20+ somethings are still willing to drive up north and gain that necessary real world experience.

If I were a 20+ now, I would probably just take a bus(or get someone else to drive), spend the car rental money on an international data roaming plan and just be gadget-ting my way to my destination, take cabs everywhere I wanted to go.

Have fun driving up north, I went into JB two weeks after getting my license and a week later, I was on the way to Melaka already.

Good to know that 20+ somethings are still willing to drive up north and gain that necessary real world experience.

If I were a 20+ now, I would probably just take a bus(or get someone else to drive), spend the car rental money on an international data roaming plan and just be gadget-ting my way to my destination, take cabs everywhere I wanted to go.

Have fun driving up north, I went into JB two weeks after getting my license and a week later, I was on the way to Melaka already.

fun part about driving to Malacca is ur got flexibility to visit alot of places in shorter time.. can go famous lok lok satay house then next go next famous food stall where it's like few km apart..

then later can adventure to local Jusco for cheaper grocery esp local fresh vege or fruits etc... loaded it full before coming back to Singapore..

1 - If i remember correctly, there is a min age and driving experience to rent a car and drive across the causeway. Call up various companies and ask for a quote. If family is ok, drive the family car.

2 - Renting in M'sia is def cheaper. But is also more inconvenient as you need to take public transport home after long hours of driving.

Rockhampton!!! You going to Shoalwater Bay training area? [laugh]

I was on my way to Cairns. Gold coast to Rockhampton = 1 day. Rockhampton to Cairns = 1 day.

actually the roads in Aust are very easy to drive. the only complication is in Mel, where you need to keep left in order to turn right!! I think this is due to the tram. anyone can confirm?

In late 90s, there is only map in book. It is not that ez hor.

In Mel, i nvr learn how to do the HOOK turn.

TS, commendable that you new drivers are daring and adventurous enough to contemplate driving up

north.

For your personal safety on and off the roads, do take note :

- leave your Egos at home and keep a cool head when at the wheel

- If u on fastest lane and car behind you signals right, it means that driver wants you to give way for it

to overtake. Don't panic; signal left, change lane only when safe to do so.

- don't be chiongster yet. Plenty of opportunity when you've gained more driving experience and in your

own performance car. The Lau heros here just couldn't resist chance to proclaim their driving experience.

:D[:p]

- behave in a way so as not to attract unwanted attention from trouble makers

- don't open wallet stuffed full of cash. Separate money into diff wallets/pouches.

- always keep car doors locked, even with passengers inside.

- don't take shortcuts thru alleys

- try to clear exit to Tuas b4 4pm on way back......usually got rd block after the curve, especially on

weekends & public holidays. Do not bribe or settle on the spot if u encounter the legalized

uniformed robbers. Just ask for ticket.

Drive Safe! [wave][drivingcar]

First thought, I tot Jiak luk Liao. Y never go mlk road trip thread

But nvm, should be fine haha

No issue, mlk is quite near, 2-3 hrs away if talking about jonker area

But but, maybe I old man thinking

If you all not daily drivers, may not be used to long distance driving

I still think first trip better to have a more experienced driver in car as v com or whatever

But personally, before my first trip to mlk

I went ahead myself with my wife n infant

But I'm driving locally ard 150 km a day

I heard some drivers can't hit above 80 in Sg n some can't take long distance

So diff people diff stroke

Dun speed, keep to left even after overtaking

Be nice, know where to stop n park

Kp cool kp calm

(edited)

- don't open wallet stuffed full of cash. Separate money into diff wallets/pouches.

good tips.

- always keep car doors locked, even with passengers inside.

wallet best keep 20 to 50RM while rest put elsewhere.. when mata ask kopi $$ also not so siong liao.. oops..

in JB crimes quite high.. other area just becareful abit since it's Malaysia.. but overall Malacca quite safe.. no worry.. i park my car at roadside in front of budget hotel.. :)

Edited by Yenyenpark

Neutral Newbie

Thanks everyone for the kind feedback! I am aware of the driving rules especially on the NSH as I have been visiting my relatives almost every CNY. I could borrow my father's T&G card and top up a sufficient value. Speed wise we will keep it below 120.

I have gathered from you guys that there are indeed many costs and restrictions associated with rental to newbie drivers. Hence we will probably work towards using one of our family's car. It will also give us peace of mind on the maintenance and reliability aspect.

Also, I appreciate the tips given on the local traffic and the attitude we should adopt when driving up north. They are really useful for our planning process.

If the trip does materialise, I will share my experience here!

Cheers!

4th Gear

Thanks everyone for the kind feedback! I am aware of the driving rules especially on the NSH as I have been visiting my relatives almost every CNY. I could borrow my father's T&G card and top up a sufficient value. Speed wise we will keep it below 120.

I have gathered from you guys that there are indeed many costs and restrictions associated with rental to newbie drivers. Hence we will probably work towards using one of our family's car. It will also give us peace of mind on the maintenance and reliability aspect.

Also, I appreciate the tips given on the local traffic and the attitude we should adopt when driving up north. They are really useful for our planning process.

If the trip does materialise, I will share my experience here!

Cheers!

do note that if the T&G card is not used for more than 1 year, it will be unusable and need to be refunded at the T&G office. A RM$5 admin fee will be deducted iirc.....

do note that if the T&G card is not used for more than 1 year, it will be unusable and need to be refunded at the T&G office. A RM$5 admin fee will be deducted iirc.....

This is the most fark up system. Money suckers.

4th Gear

This is the most fark up system. Money suckers.

more so that the so called unusable card still can top up $$$........ [laugh]

more so that the so called unusable card still can top up $$$........ [laugh]

I still have one with 50rm in it, dunno throw where already <_<

i drove to Melaka last year and i am still considered as inexperience driver. just make sure stay left lane and do use GPS, I cant remember the road there. do get touch and go.

And from nshw to Malacca city take some time, so be patient and dont think that u get lost.

Regarding car rental, dont think 21 can rent car in sg. not sure though

↡ Advertisement