[INCIDENT] SIA A380 experienced severe clear air turbulence

Stooky

A Singapore Airlines Airbus A380-800, registration 9V-SKH performing flight SQ-308 from Singapore (Singapore) to London Heathrow,EN (UK), was enroute about 90 minutes into the flight at around 02:30Z, breakfast was just being served, when the aircraft encountered severe clear air turbulence resulting in an altitude deviation of about 100 feet and all loose items becoming airborne. The aircraft continued the flight to London for a safe landing about 13 hours after departure. 7 people received minor injuries during the turbulence encounter.

The aircraft was unable to perform the return flight SQ-319 on time and departed for the return as flight SQ-319D the following day about 28 hours after landing.

Scenes on board shortly after the encounter (Photo: Alan Cross):

singapore_a333_9v-skh_enroute_130526_1.jpg

http://avherald.com/h?article=462eaf1c&opt=0

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

A Singapore Airlines Airbus A380-800, registration 9V-SKH performing flight SQ-308 from Singapore (Singapore) to London Heathrow,EN (UK), was enroute about 90 minutes into the flight at around 02:30Z, breakfast was just being served, when the aircraft encountered severe clear air turbulence resulting in an altitude deviation of about 100 feet and all loose items becoming airborne. The aircraft continued the flight to London for a safe landing about 13 hours after departure. 7 people received minor injuries during the turbulence encounter.

The aircraft was unable to perform the return flight SQ-319 on time and departed for the return as flight SQ-319D the following day about 28 hours after landing.

Scenes on board shortly after the encounter (Photo: Alan Cross):

http://avherald.com/h?article=462eaf1c&opt=0

important of fasten your seat belt whenever you are seating..you never know when it going to happen..

from a frequent flyer that always experience bad turbulence.

Turbocharged

important of fasten your seat belt whenever you are seating..you never know when it going to happen..

from a frequent flyer that always experience bad turbulence.

have you ever experienced such a turbulence before?? ie trays becoming airborne??

I never seem to have experienced such things....

The most "exciting" flight I had was flying to huangshan. The flight was delayed for 2 hours due to bad weather. And when we reached the destination, it was like COMPLETE fog.... the plane was circling for like maybe 10minutes (seemed like an eternity) before it landed.

Could be the pilot made a bad judgement call and decide to fly thru the "grey clouds" thinking it's just a "small" cloud.

have you ever experienced such a turbulence before?? ie trays becoming airborne??

I never seem to have experienced such things....

The most "exciting" flight I had was flying to huangshan. The flight was delayed for 2 hours due to bad weather. And when we reached the destination, it was like COMPLETE fog.... the plane was circling for like maybe 10minutes (seemed like an eternity) before it landed.

I lost my coffee cup once from Bangkok to Hongkong....

Once landing in Laos, the whole cabin scream due to hand landing.

(edited)

tell u...air turbulence is really one scary shite! kana once on a CAL flight. While watching flight movie the plane dip a few time and plunge for a few seconds and suddenly u can feel the difference in air pressure n your ear starts to get pressurised! I was holding on to the armrest and literally pull the whole cover out! [sweatdrop] [sweatdrop]

But the SIA stewardess in the pic still looked calm and nonchalant! [laugh] [laugh]

Edited by Eviilusion

tell u...air turbulence is really one scary shite! kana once on a CAL flight. While watching flight movie the plane dip a few time and plunge for a few seconds and suddenly u can feel the difference in air pressure n your ear starts to get pressurised! I was holding on to the armrest and literally pull the whole cover out! [sweatdrop] [sweatdrop]

But the SIA stewardess in the pic still looked calm and nonchalant! [laugh] [laugh]

She sian 1/2 coz later after landing they got to clear up the mess. :D

Area cleaning upon landing is done by contracted ground cleaning crews.

100 feet plunge .... very jialat and scare the s.hit out ...

resulting in an altitude deviation of about 100 feet

air turbulence no joke sia

was flying to bangkok few years back

i always keep my seat belt on when sitting

all of the sudden the plane dip

the angmo beside me on the opposite aisle did not buckle up hence his face smash onto the front seat

can see the whole face red especially the nose

ya har....xue xue kana during meal time! the one on the right still glam but the one on the left hair very messy! [laugh] [laugh]

4th Gear

kena once jialat one during mealtime........the lady sitting beside me spilled her kopi on both of us while my drink spilled on myself.......ended with a half-soaked jeans upon arrival....... [furious]

air turbulence no joke sia

was flying to bangkok few years back

i always keep my seat belt on when sitting

all of the sudden the plane dip

the angmo beside me on the opposite aisle did not buckle up hence his face smash onto the front seat

can see the whole face red especially the nose

Actually not sure what is the effect when u buckle up, will u feel pain in your pelvis bone due to the sudden jerk?

Actually not sure what is the effect when u buckle up, will u feel pain in your pelvis bone due to the sudden jerk?

It's stil better than head hitting the ceilings.

4th Gear

at least you don't bang your head.......rem reading a news one died when such event happened and he was not belted up......

It's stil better than head hitting the ceilings.

at least you don't bang your head.......rem reading a news one died when such event happened and he was not belted up......

Not doubting that but I always thought airplane seat belt should be more like those roller coaster type that open/close from the top and secure your shoulders and chest.

↡ Advertisement