Alfa 159 Part VII (Any Alfa discussion also welcomed)

Gorjiam

The project was done half way. The oil catch can was not incorporated, need to take note (otherwise will kill the MAF). I am not sure if the high velocity stream created perpendicular to the air flow will help. Maybe the pulsation of air from the crank case vent have some sort of harmonic effect on the intake.

↡ Advertisement

The project was done half way. The oil catch can was not incorporated, need to take note (otherwise will kill the MAF). I am not sure if the high velocity stream created perpendicular to the air flow will help. Maybe the pulsation of air from the crank case vent have some sort of harmonic effect on the intake.

You read japanese! GREAT! I was reading Japanesenglish which as you can see from google translate, isn't the best.

From what I understand, the standard piping allows air pressure to move back and forth, and as such, creates some resistance in the airflow. With this, it is a one way system, much like how the heart valves should work. Thus there is no air backflow (I relate it to compressor surge). Therefore either a mini vacuum is formed or the airflow in one direction allows the engine to work more efficiently.

Not sure about the resonance part, but that's what I am going to expore with SEV.

There are a few other Alfas there who have installed it.

I am considering it, with or without the oil catch tank. As it is, there is already a tight working space.

Maybe you can help me do some research for SEV Japan as well. :D those would probably be the tail end of the project

Edited by Saabretooth

This is the SEV one.

This is for those who want to take it to finer details.

Value for money? I don't know, unless you're going to average the benefit over a good period of time vs something else for the same $.

http://www.sev.info/auto/products/head-balancer/

Where possible this is a tail end project, rather than top priority.

For those who do not want to be too hardcore on their engines and concerned about warranty...etc this may be something to try out.

While I understand the science of it, I am mildly amazed at the reported feel and results.

You read japanese! GREAT! I was reading Japanesenglish which as you can see from google translate, isn't the best.

From what I understand, the standard piping allows air pressure to move back and forth, and as such, creates some resistance in the airflow. With this, it is a one way system, much like how the heart valves should work. Thus there is no air backflow (I relate it to compressor surge). Therefore either a mini vacuum is formed or the airflow in one direction allows the engine to work more efficiently.

Not sure about the resonance part, but that's what I am going to expore with SEV.

There are a few other Alfas there who have installed it.

I am considering it, with or without the oil catch tank. As it is, there is already a tight working space.

Maybe you can help me do some research for SEV Japan as well. :D those would probably be the tail end of the project

Ha ha, I also use translator but I read the chinese text as well so I can more sense out of it.

It is true that there are pressure waves oscillating when the intake valve opens & closes. Maybe the device improves the function of the resonator through syncronised pulsation of air coming out of the crank vent.

What I think is resonators are sized base on an ideal condition (formula) and will not fit all air flow conditions in the intake. So with air flow at pulsation timing that is related to valve opening and closing, this neutralizes the pressure wave effect. Thus a better flow in the intake pipe. I agree with your hypothesis.

As for the SEV, really need to try. I achieve my good FC through something like that. Cannot ask everyone to try. Most are skeptical.

Ha ha, I also use translator but I read the chinese text as well so I can more sense out of it.

It is true that there are pressure waves oscillating when the intake valve opens & closes. Maybe the device improves the function of the resonator through syncronised pulsation of air coming out of the crank vent.

What I think is resonators are sized base on an ideal condition (formula) and will not fit all air flow conditions in the intake. So with air flow at pulsation timing that is related to valve opening and closing, this neutralizes the pressure wave effect. Thus a better flow in the intake pipe. I agree with your hypothesis.

As for the SEV, really need to try. I achieve my good FC through something like that. Cannot ask everyone to try. Most are skeptical.

There are different reducers to suit different engine sizes and types. I'll explore further.

My mandarin is not much better than my japanese... ;)

for the SEV, I know that it works, but for bigger engine capacities, I wonder if the effect is the same as the smaller cc ones

So which one are you using now?

If you could assist with the real translation, I'd be very appreciative

I love Japlish...............and frankly this whole nanobabble sounds gibberish........they sell snake oil too?

Snakes are very rare in Japan :) unless we talking Alfa-esque serpents, of which they are absolutely crazy about them.

The things they have there for Alfa-s can't be found anywhere else in the world....

Hi to the red 159 exiting via Fort Road last evening ard 7pm

Spotted u in a distance and decided to catch up to say hi

But u turned left I turned right to East Coast Park

How many female Alfisitis do we have ah?

Hi to the red 159 exiting via Fort Road last evening ard 7pm

Spotted u in a distance and decided to catch up to say hi

But u turned left I turned right to East Coast Park

How many female Alfisitis do we have ah?

ex-alfistis can count? :p

ex-alfistis can count? :p

Yeah

So far u are the only one I know of

The driver I saw last evening also girl

Went to Nightz the other day and was chatting with Dave

He knows you on first name basis eh?

I change ride go there start from zero again. Lol

But ok lah, he's a honest and reasonable man

So I normally take wholesale whatever he says

Edited by Theredstar

Neutral Newbie

Hi everyone,

Anyone has this symptoms on the Alfa 159? When you turn the steering wheel to full lock right or left you hear a "tick, tick, tick" noise...what could this be?

Any reply would be appreciated...thanks and cheers.

Yeah

So far u are the only one I know of

The driver I saw last evening also girl

Went to Nightz the other day and was chatting with Dave

He knows you on first name basis eh?

I change ride go there start from zero again. Lol

But ok lah, he's a honest and reasonable man

So I normally take wholesale whatever he says

Ya he knows me by my first name.

But once u mention Alfa Romeo Brera, he will know who u're talking abt...^_^

agreed that he is a very honest and reasonable man! [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Hi everyone,

Anyone has this symptoms on the Alfa 159? When you turn the steering wheel to full lock right or left you hear a "tick, tick, tick" noise...what could this be?

Any reply would be appreciated...thanks and cheers.

I asked this qn to my mechanic and I was told it is normal. when driving, try not to turn full as he said it will spoil certain parts faster.